dark rock pro 4

ralphandmike

I am much impressed by this cooler. what I am wondering is there any coolers of the same type and design by them that are smaller profile?

What do you mean by same type and design?

The Dark Rock series includes several coolers but there's only one current flagship dual tower design which is superseded each generation and named the Dark Rock Pro.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For thinner towers, the dark rock 4 (non pro) and dark rock slim are your choices. For a more compact height, the dark rock TF is a rotated tower for lower ceilings in your case. There's also their Pure Rock line, but those don't offer the cooling prowess.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

also their Pure Rock line, but those don't offer the cooling prowess.

The PR line is imho, way too overpriced. At least here. Costs ~33!% more, than a Hyper 212 Black or a Fera3, and roughly 40% more expensive than a Gammaxx400, almost 90%!! more than an ID SE214X! Whereas the performance is very similar.

Unfortunately, still the most popular cooler, just because it's be quiet!. Whenever I set the "sort by most popular" filter, I always get that PureRock on top. But why? There are far cheaper coolers with similar performance.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

The PR line is imho, way too overpriced. At least here. Costs ~33!% more, than a Hyper 212 Black or a Fera3, and roughly 40% more expensive than a Gammaxx400, almost 90%!! more than an ID SE214X! Whereas the performance is very similar.

Unfortunately, still the most popular cooler, just because it's be quiet!. Whenever I set the "sort by most popular" filter, I always get that PureRock on top. But why? There are far cheaper coolers with similar performance.

Pricing isn't consistent across different regions and the PR line is no different. 

For reference, the MSRP in USD is $35 for the Pure Rock, $24 for the PR Slim, $35 for the Hyper 212 BE, $34 for the Fera 3, and $30 for the Gammaxx 400. 

Cooling performance aside, the PR line is often the quietest cooler for the price. There are plenty of use cases where that's preferred such as on use on cpus with locked multipliers. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker Thanks for the input. In my country, for some reason, BQ products are way too overpriced, yet very popular. Simply the brand name sells their products, even the cheapest ones. Generally the "cooler of choice" is almost always Alpenföhn Ben Nevis advanced, Brocken Eco Advanced or Brocken3, for most of the users seeking good-well priced coolers. 

I must admit, BQ does have very fine stuff, but, their pricing here is a bit of meeehhh..

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Scythe Fuma? Noctua D9? If you mean smaller dual towers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

so your all saying the dark rock seris is good in general? what I am wondering is I have some mircoatx design cases which are quite compact. I was wondering in the dark rock series which coolers actually are good for that where space is limited but enough so that a cooler that can properly cool a ryzen 3700x or better cpu is going to be able to do its job properly.

3 hours ago, ralphandmike said:

so your all saying the dark rock seris is good in general? what I am wondering is I have some mircoatx design cases which are quite compact. I was wondering in the dark rock series which coolers actually are good for that where space is limited but enough so that a cooler that can properly cool a ryzen 3700x or better cpu is going to be able to do its job properly.

Yes, I'd say they're all good but they're often more expensive than some other coolers that do a similar job. 

What case and ram are you using?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, I'd say they're all good but they're often more expensive than some other coolers that do a similar job. 

What case and ram are you using?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

sorry about that just had to start somewhere. anyways I am using an old hp media center case and using ageis ddr4 2666 memory.

1 minute ago, ralphandmike said:

sorry about that just had to start somewhere. anyways I am using an old hp media center case and using ageis ddr4 2666 memory.

What's the model name of the prebuilt / case?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What's the model name of the prebuilt / case?

hp media center  a1600n. its a matx case. I have other ones similar in design and layout. the problem is I need to know what coolers to use which will do the job but fit inside the case as the drp4 is a bit too tall or big I have the side panel off but it still sticks out.

4 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

hp media center  a1600n. its a matx case. I have other ones similar in design and layout. the problem is I need to know what coolers to use which will do the job but fit inside the case as the drp4 is a bit too tall or big I have the side panel off but it still sticks out.

I'm having trouble finding how much clearance is available in the case. Can you measure the distance between the socket and side panel? 

If you have different cases, you should also measure those if the clearances are any different.

Are you sure you want to use these cases? They look like they have terrible airflow and it may be pretty difficult to adequately cool a 3700x especially if you're adding in a graphics card.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm having trouble finding how much clearance is available in the case. Can you measure the distance between the socket and side panel? 

If you have different cases, you should also measure those if the clearances are any different.

Are you sure you want to use these cases? They look like they have terrible airflow and it may be pretty difficult to adequately cool a 3700x especially if you're adding in a graphics card.

most of the boards I use are 24.4 by 24.4  I however am using an asrock 970m pro 3 matx board right now. the problem is not so much the measurement as it may be the height of the actually ooler. the drp4 is really taller than even the hyper evo 212 and ive seen the size of that cooler in action or something close to it in other desktop builds.

1 minute ago, ralphandmike said:

the problem is not so much the measurement as it may be the height of the actually ooler.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking for the distance between the socket and side panel. It determines how tall the cooler can be.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, that's why I'm asking for the distance between the socket and side panel. It determines how tall the cooler can be.

if I look at the outside of the case it looks to me like its between les than and a bit more than 6 inches. its between 7 and 8 inches from one side to the other width wise.

Just now, ralphandmike said:

if I look at the outside of the case it looks to me like its between les than and a bit more than 6 inches. its between 7 and 8 inches from one side to the other width wise.

Can you measure it with a ruler? It's better to be sure now than to order coolers that don't fit. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you measure it with a ruler? It's better to be sure now than to order coolers that don't fit. 

I don't think I actually have one or if I do where it currently is in the house. 

20 hours ago, ralphandmike said:

I don't think I actually have one or if I do where it currently is in the house. 

Well, if you really can't measure it, it looks like there's ~155mm* of clearance available. 

Spoiler

d2352b0279913abac3c87621d400dbbc.png

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well, if you really can't measure it, it looks like there's ~115mm of clearance available. 

Reveal hidden contents

2c7c18cffb9f30823ea55bbd7e67bdcd.png

Are you sure the case is 7-8in wide? If so, I think I'm looking at the wrong case. 

I measured it using my fingers. so it could be a little inaccurate. anyways I am measuring the outside of the top of the case not the inside. width wise.

9 hours ago, ralphandmike said:

I measured it using my fingers. so it could be a little inaccurate. anyways I am measuring the outside of the top of the case not the inside. width wise.

Maybe take picture of it? Like if rear fan is 120mm, max height is something like 155mm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Maybe take picture of it? Like if rear fan is 120mm, max height is something like 155mm.

no the case only supports 92mm for the case fan. its a very compact matx case.

Just now, ralphandmike said:

no the case only supports 92mm for the case fan. its a very compact matx case.

OK, then it might be closer to 130-145mm max height.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

something like that I think. couldn't find the exact dimensions as its an old case from hp and a discontinued design computer. I mean I know the cases will support 9.6 by 9.6 motherboards or 24.4by 24.4 mm. its a good design though if you can work in it however airflow is an issue with it as the side panel is only holes no fans anyways I noticed the drp4 seems to be good but the cables from the power supply and drive cables tend to get really close to the front fan. the drp4 has two of them