Best keyboard for typing

The Torrent

What’s the best keyboard for typing?

and a little gaming

rgb is important. No budget but less money = better.

im thinking Razer huntsman elite but it seems way overpriced, is it all that good?

Best would be to try out a lot of different switches, and see which ones you prefer.

Most people on this forum build their own keyboards to the exact specifications that they like, so it is very optimized for their use cases and preferences.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

and a little gaming

rgb is important. No budget but less money = better.

im thinking Razer huntsman elite but it seems way overpriced, is it all that good?

Don't even blink, grab the Logitech 815 as it is stationary.  If you want to move keyboard to different places in your room etc, then you would want the G915 which is wireless and costs 50 bucks more then wired.  It is $250 dollars and the G815 which is identical except for the light speed wireless and is 200 bucks.  It is as thin as your smart phone with a cover on it.  Once you kick up the feet then you don't need a wrist pad.  It is made from aircraft grade brushed aluminum and the low profile keys that come in Clicky or Tactile or Linear.  It is pretty much the best keyboard ever made and you can quote me on that.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Don't even blink, grab the Logitech 815 as it is stationary. 

That does look nice, i will get it if my G810 ever dies.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That does look nice, i will get it if my G810 ever dies.

I don't think your G810 will die tho LOL.  Also the way Logitech pricing is, in a year from now the prices should be the same.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

I don't think your G810 will die tho LOL.

Tru, soup and tea both couldn't kill it, and to be frank the omeron switches are not that bad, they are still usable for typing, for gaming they are good.

Personal preference. Many seem to love Box Jades/Navys, Holy Pandas, Box Royals and various Zeal switches. The form factor is also preference. Some need to have a numpad, others prefer better ergonomics. You will want decent keycaps, which takes any Logitech, Roccat, Corsair and Razer keyboards out of the question, as they use non standard bottom rows, and come with garbage keycaps, which you'll want to replace. 

:)

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Tru, soup and tea both couldn't kill it, and to be frank the omeron switches are not that bad, they are still usable for typing, for gaming they are good.

I mean I have the G910 and my order in amazon looks like it is going to be a month or tiny bit more until amazon gets it in stock.  I have a promo the end price for the G915 is 239.99 total.  I can go to best buy and buy it for 250 but there is tax and will come out to 275 dollars.  I love my G910 but when I learned about the G915 and G815 then saw some reviews on youtube I fell in love with it especially the fact the keys are half the size of other keyboards and you get to choose your feel and click type.  Also brushed aluminum is very solid and sexy.  It is not cheap but you will enjoy it for many many many years!!!

I mean I have the G910 and my order in amazon looks like it is going to be a month or tiny bit more until amazon gets it in stock.  I have a promo the end price for the G915 is 239.99 total.  I can go to best buy and buy it for 250 but there is tax and will come out to 275 dollars.  I love my G910 but when I learned about the G915 and G815 then saw some reviews on youtube I fell in love with it especially the fact the keys are half the size of other keyboards and you get to choose your feel and click type.  Also brushed aluminum is very solid and sexy.  It is not cheap but you will enjoy it for many many many years!!!

Yeah oof, that price is double of what i paid for my g810.

It is not cheap but you will enjoy it for many many many years!!!

You literally just admitted that your keyboard hasn't even arrived, and yet you're telling the OP to buy it. At least try it out before recommending it to people.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

And triple the price of my Logitech G710+.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Yes tell me about it.  My G910 was 125 bucks and its great.  Once I saw the G915 and 815 I was blown away enough to get it then sell my G910 for maybe 75 bucks or so.

10 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

You literally just admitted that your keyboard hasn't even arrived, and yet you're telling the OP to buy it. At least try it out before recommending it to people.

And triple the price of my Logitech G710+.

I apologize r2724r16m, I have seen ton of reviews on youtube and there is a nice amount of videos on the new G keyboards.  Even typing tests for the clicky and tactile and Linear.  I opt for Linear as I want smooth and less sound.  Im comparing the keyboard with my G910 and Im mostly excited about it because of the low profile keys and the option to what type of feel and sound you want and thin and aircraft grade aluminum and what not.  Also the media buttons and the scroll wheel for volume is very nice.  I know fact it will be a nice upgrade to the already great G910 I have.

Why tf is it so expensive?

i mean I get the huntsman cuz they got their light activated switches etc but this is just standard mechanical and it’s a little thinner??

Why tf is it so expensive?

i mean I get the huntsman cuz they got their light activated switches etc but this is just standard mechanical and it’s a little thinner??

They use Romero GL clicky, tactile or linear low profile keys half the size of what you have now, which for me  is a big plus.  Also I picked Linear as I want it to feel like my G910.  It is expensive but I know it will be worth every penny also the brushed air craft grade finish.  It is one of those keyboards that will never break or go bad unless you bang it against your head or on the wall.  Here take a look at this  Logitech G815

And u all think this is better than huntsman?

As r272r4r16 said I shouldn't have recommended it since I don't even have it yet.  The only thing I can do is explain why it is so expensive and why it is worth the price of admission hehe  You will in the future get new mice etc, but this keyboard will last until it dies maybe in 10 years after 50 million clicks lol

I have owned many Razer mice including their first mouse ever the Boomslang with ball lol.  Also the last great keyboard they made is the Tarantula from last decade lol.  I also owned mechanical very clicky blackwidow and others and also tried couple headphones.  Stay away from Razer.  Oh also you have 5 keys on the side of the G815 just like my G910 its great to use those G keys to launch the main apps I use like browsers etc.  So you get those keys and macros plus low profile + brushed aircraft quality aluminum brushed.  Also the keys are half the size of normal keyboards and the low attenuation.

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

It is one of those keyboards that will never break or go bad unless you bang it against your head or on the wall. 

That's exaggerating, and you know it. Also, romer g are not everyones cup of tea, a lot of people hate them, me included, op should definetely try romer g's first, then decide. 

12 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

And u all think this is better than huntsman?

Yes, but not saying that you should get a keyboard with romer g, especially this pricey. Try them. Also, if you want optomechanical, take a look at what steelseries offers, or even wooting, better than razer, any of them, even logitech is better, if you like romer g. No easily changeable keycaps if you pick logitech with romer g,and they ship their boards with thin abs plastic lasered keycaps, they tend to shine pretty quickly, nowhere near ten years of usage like turtle says, they might become shiny even after few months, and this is how they will start to look for reference LC2A9Bn.jpg

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's exaggerating, and you know it. Also, romer g are not everyones cup of tea, a lot of people hate them, me included, op should definetely try romer g's first, then decide. 

Before my G910 I had a Razer very type writer feel and I couldn't type worth cr*p.  I would hit wrong keys and it is just difficult.  Once I got the G910 and the fact its mechanical but very smooth and fast Linear feel.  If your into regular sized keys then get the Razer, but if you want thin low profile 1.5mm attenuation then grab the G815 and you get aluminum brushed and also the G keys on the side.  Also you don't need a wrist pad with this keyboard, as once you open up the feet its perfect and you just use your desk as a wrist pad and what not.

9 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Before my G910 I had a Razer very type writer feel and I couldn't type worth cr*p.  I would hit wrong keys and it is just difficult.  Once I got the G910 and the fact its mechanical but very smooth and fast Linear feel.  If your into regular sized keys then get the Razer, but if you want thin low profile 1.5mm attenuation then grab the G815 and you get aluminum brushed and also the G keys on the side.  Also you don't need a wrist pad with this keyboard, as once you open up the feet its perfect and you just use your desk as a wrist pad and what not.

I was not recommending razer though, still not recommending, they are shit. I'm only saying that you are exaggerating the keyboards durability, your response is not really relevant to what I wrote. If you like romer g so much, does not mean the op will.

BTW why you agreed with seons post, despite recommending completely opposite?

Edited by noxdeouroboros
errors on errors

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

OP, you have to try out different types of key switches for yourself and see what you're comfortable with. Then decide which specific keyboard to get. 

I like Cherry MX Browns, but I know there are people that don't. I also hate Romer G switches, but there are people that like them. It's all about personal preference and no one can tell you which key switch (or keyboard) is the best.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Ok thanks guys I will be testing some switches out myself then.

my thing about the huntsman elite is tho that rgb just gets me.

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I was not recommending razer though, still not recommending, they are shit. I'm only saying that you are exaggerating the keyboards durability, your response is not really relevant to what I wrote. If you like romer g so much, does not mean the op will.

BTW why you agreed with seons post, despite recommending completely opposite?

Yes you are correct Ive had a lot of Razer gear and honestly the only solid proper one was the Tarantula keyboard and I had Tarantula HP's .... Their mice suck ballz, just play some music with bass and watch the mouse dance on your screen and what not.

Just now, The Torrent said:

Ok thanks guys I will be testing some switches out myself then.

my thing about the huntsman elite is tho that rgb just gets me.

Function over form.  Don't buy a keyboard because it has flashy lights, buy a keyboard because of it's feel.