Note 10+ 5G - I wish I hadn't (rant/review)

Ok, I've been a lurker of these boards for some time, but I felt like I needed to post some rants about my Note 10+ 5G as IMO, it doesn't nearly live up to the hype Samsung generated for this phone. I've owned every galaxy device up to the S8+ where I then switched to the Note 9 and now, 10+ but I think I'll be considering other manufacturers next year.

Samsung are almost following sports car mentality with their phones in that you pay more for less. (I.e. a Porsche 911 GT3 RS is faster, and more expensive than the 911, but a lot of creature comforts and extras are removed)

After a couple days with my Note 10, I find myself reaching for my note 9 too often.

My gripes so far (may update as I continue using it)

• Left side power button - Every galaxy device since the OG galaxy S has had a right side power button. Not a deal breaker, but why change it? I take screen shots a lot and having both buttons to the left make taking them more awkward (and I'm not a fan of the palm swipe capture)
  • Reduced sound quality over Note 9 - I was blown away when I first played some bass heavy music on my Note 9 as it punches out the lows unlike any other phone I've heard. The 10+ has a whole lot of chassis vibration, but very little Bass.
  • No status LED - OK, I get this is impossible due to the full screen coverage, but a workaround can be made with samsungs own, GoodLock and the EdgeLighting+ plugin to show a light ring around the camera hole. But unless it's something you already know about, it's not exactly advertised. I rely on the LED at work as I can see it in the corner of my eye. With the 10, I have to keep reaching for it to check the AOD.
  • No IR facial recognition / iris scanner - again, there are obvious reasons it's not included, but face unlock using camera alone almost seems far less secure. I have yet to test using a photo to unlock.
  • NO PRESSURE SENSITIVE HOME BUTTON! - Seriously, this has been the most frustrating feature removal for me. Again, every device has had a physical, then at least a pressure home button. I am continually squeezing the bottom of my phone, only for nothing to happen. it's a very hard habit to break and I don't understand why it couldn't be incorporated.
  • The lower right speaker magnet throws off the sPen accuracy when your are hovering, or drawing within about 5mm around it. I ditched my magnetic shut case on my note 9 for this reason, and now it's baked into my Note 10
  • The more aggressive "right to the edge" curves often cause accidental palm touches when reaching across the screen. The note 9 had an ever so slightly larger bezel on the sides and I never encountered this.
  • The lack of a 45w charger. Samsung has always (mostly) included in the box, a charger that can power the device as fast as it is capable of. For an £1,100 phone, I kind of expect the 45w charger to be included.
  • The under screen fingerprint reader - Although quick, I get far too many 'unrecognized fingerprint' errors. The rear scanner of my Note 9 worked 100% of the time, every time for me.

despite this, I am overall impressed with the 10+'s raw performance, camera quality and display. I can also live with the 3.5mm jack removal as I rarely use it anymore anyway, but I'm seriously tempted to use my 14 day window to return it and stick with my 9 for another year as I feel like the 10 is pretty much a slightly faster CPU and larger display, at the expense of too many other features.

I was considering buying Note 10+, but now I think I will stick to my Note 9 for some time. With so many unnecessary changes I think its not worth getting used to them for some extra cpu and camera power. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I was considering buying Note 10+, but now I think I will stick to my Note 9 for some time. With so many unnecessary changes I think its not worth getting used to them for some extra cpu and camera power. 

Same. I'm so disappointed by the 10+ that promised to be a revolutionary phone with radical upgrades. But IMO it's just an incremental 'upgrade' (or Imo, a stripped out sport version of a note 9) for those that have to be that guy with the latest phone (which I admit, was my reason for upgrading as I can be quite vein with my tech) But i'd happily keep using my Note 9 for another year.

10 hours ago, SundayDriver said:

Same. I'm so disappointed by the 10+ that promised to be a revolutionary phone with radical upgrades. But IMO it's just an incremental 'upgrade' (or Imo, a stripped out sport version of a note 9) for those that have to be that guy with the latest phone (which I admit, was my reason for upgrading as I can be quite vein with my tech) But i'd happily keep using my Note 9 for another year.

None of the leaks, first looks, and early reviews ever indicated that the 10 was going to be "revolutionary". 

I went from Note 9 to 10+. I have the same disappointments with the power button and home button. I've had the 10+ for 3 days now and already adapted. 

Face unlock is less secure. It even tells you when you set it up. Iris scanning was better on the Note 7 than the Note 9. The Note 9 was slow for me. Probably because of my glasses. 

22 hours ago, SundayDriver said:

Same. I'm so disappointed by the 10+ that promised to be a revolutionary phone with radical upgrades.

Did you see different leaks than I did? The note 10+ was pretty much just an S10 plus with an s pen, it really isn't anything revolutionary or radical. Other than the extra camera and more modern design what are you actually gaining over the note 9?

On 8/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, PopsicleHustler said:

Honestly, there isn't usually much reason to upgrade every year -- the Note 9 didn't suddenly become slow, shrink in screen size or start taking terrible photos.  I find it best to upgrade when there are enough improvements that you can't imagine sticking with your current phone.