How common is BLB amongst lcd monitors?

thedemoncowboy

How common is it in current technology, is there ever monitors free of it? I think OLED would be the only one?

I just debate because I have minimal on left corner but legitimately one of the ONLY monitors that does not possess dead pixels. 

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

OLED doesn't have BLB because the individual pixels are lit. This also means that the individual pixels will burn out and color shift depending on how long they are on, which can be as little as 500 hours.

Backlight bleed in IPS, VA and TN monitors depends more on the backlight tech. LED Backlights are a lot more harsh than the previous florescent tubes. LED's also last for years (all but one LED bulb I bought when I moved into my apartment is still running, bought like 7 years ago, though I can't tell you if the brightness is still good.) FL tubes will start to flicker and spontaneously stop working when they get around 7 years old. LED backlights will just gradually burn out (eg one corner will stop being full brightness) and can not be repaired.

So some monitors have more bleed than others because they've opted for cheaper, fewer LED's, thus they have to be brighter to light up the entire screen. 

Unfortunately there is no real solution to this. OLED looked like a promising technology, but it just doesn't last long enough to be used as a computer screen or television for that matter. They are sufficient for tablet and phones since the usuage pattern of these devices often turns the screen off, rather than try to show images while it's idle. Previous generations of phones (like 10 years ago) would just turn the backlight off, while keeping the LCD pixels running, so you could see it in daylight.

10 hours ago, thedemoncowboy said:

How common is it in current technology, is there ever monitors free of it? I think OLED would be the only one?

I just debate because I have minimal on left corner but legitimately one of the ONLY monitors that does not possess dead pixels. 

VERY common, in fact its always there in LCD monitors, this is why you wont find a monitor with a good Black uniformity results in test like those found on rtings reviews.

The only time a LCD will look good in a bacl level test is when that monitor has FLAD, in these cases the backlight is turned of, as so u cant see the BLB, however as soon as the image being displayed goes above a certain threshold and/or displays something other than black, the FALD array will turn back on and the BLB will show up.

only self emmisive displays can avoid BLB, such as OELD, Plasma, CRT and when its fully developed, MicroLED (not to be confused with Micro LED backlit LCDs)

2 further display types that show promise are Hybrid OLEDs and another type that can best be described as a 'Double LCD layered LCD screen'.

The Hybrid OLED uses a standard LCD panel without the backlight to act as the main colored screen , equiped with a Blue OLED panel as the backlight. Thus getting effectively a full resolution FLAD array from the OLED panel.

The Double layer LCD uses a similar principal but uses a secondary 1080p black and white LCD equiped with its own 'normal' backlight, to be used as the primary colored LCDs (the one u see) backlight, thus once again acting as a high density FALD array.

So when displaying black , instead of only 1 LCD layer being used to try and block the light, and failing as thats why LCD cant produce black, it has to try and get through 2 whole layers, which results in far far better black levels and better black uniformity.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |