Worst 8700k ever?

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,
2 minutes ago, TheNoid said:

Yea I'm not seeing much max temp difference between 4.5ghz 1.26v and 4.6ghz 1.28v 

So far i've run an hour of occt big data set and 5 realbench benchmark runs + cinebench one right after the other and the max temp was 86c which is an outlier like the min temp.  I see average temps of 68 - 76c 

Gonna throw a few games at it see what hitches.  Thank you for your help.

Delid helped me, a lot.

3 minutes ago, TheNoid said:

He was actually really helpful and I appreciate him taking the time to help me.  I don't know what your deal is though and "dequalifies" isn't a word.

But you obviously couldn't care less, tbh.

kk sheriff, *disqualifies

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

8 hours ago, TheNoid said:

Honestly $40 + shipping i'm assuming for a delidded and binned 8700k sounds like a good deal.  

Delid is really easy to do yourself (at least on gen8 cpus). And it is alot of fun as well.

Delid Success.jpg

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

10 hours ago, TheNoid said:

Well after a 2 hour OCCT large data run the voltage only averages about 1.274v I never run at %100 for that long.  I don't even think I have a game or a program that does other than the stress tests.  The FPS stutter I was seeing went away after I turned off Cstates, intel speedshift, and disabled the BCLK spectrum.  The lower FPS was just on certain BFV maps that obviously have more buildings and clutter that gets collapsed or otherwise exploded.  My settings are all on Ultra except the post processing effects and TAA is low.  It actually runs above ~150 ish unless something huge happens.  My GPU isn't overclocked further than the stock GPU boost 3.0 speeds.  I have the voltage of my 1080FTW2 at %100 and power %120 priority in precision XOC.  It runs 2025mhz 212watts max, around ~1900mhz 143watts average, rarely ever hits 68c when I'm gaming.  I checked the FPS and more importantly Frametime with XOC HW monitor and it's right on par with where it was before the core clock/voltage changes.

Also the menu lag and frame skips I was seeing in GTAV disappeared with the aforementioned settings turned off.  Everything runs smooth now so i'll see how it goes.  Also, my AIO is middle tier.  1.4v would melt my CPU in half a skosh.  Not even one full skosh.  Delid is on the list of things.  Voids warranty though so i'm iffy.  If a new AIO doesn't fix the temperature issue then I will.  I'll probably get the corsairh100i or whatever the 240mm version is like i should've done.

Thank you for your reply 

Getting a completely stable OC can take some time if you are unlucky. After my delid I thought it was stable at 5.0ghz 1.35V. I tested everything and it seemed ok and also played games for some time but suddenly my PC froze for 1 sec and then continued to work. After that had happened to me i raised the voltage to 1.36V and haven't had a problem since.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

1 hour ago, Boyohan said:

Getting a completely stable OC can take some time if you are unlucky. After my delid I thought it was stable at 5.0ghz 1.35V. I tested everything and it seemed ok and also played games for some time but suddenly my PC froze for 1 sec and then continued to work. After that had happened to me i raised the voltage to 1.36V and haven't had a problem since.

Yea I bumped the cores to 4.6ghz and it just wouldn't stabilize even on 1.3v which is entering nope territory.  It would heat up fairly quickly during testing but I was surprised to see the temp differences between 4.5ghz 1.26v and 4.6ghz 1.3v was only ~6c or so under full load at almost 89c on one core.  I just can't go over 1.3 safely as far as temps are concerned.  When I get the delidding tool  i'm going to get the copper IHS kit as well from rockit 88.  Probably won't have to switch out my AIO either which will save cash.