Moving a PC Setup

thunderfire123

I gotta move my whole setup, PC, monitor and all. Is there any advice or way I'm supposed to pack everything? Or can i just put it all in the back of my car wrapped in blankets?

Better use any factory box you have left. Might want to add something soft to slightly improve your chances of delivering everything in one piece.

When it comes to PC, i'd suggest two things:

1) Special material that inflates after broken;

or

2) Take everything from your PC that just isn't secured enough to not move during transportation (aka GPU, CPU air cooler, if it's a big tower like NH-D15) and put it into factory box or (if first is already in trash) some sort of backpack that always will be with you (GPU must be in antistatic bag for this, do keep it in mind, as well as other exposed electronics).

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

Just put it on the back seat of your car and don't drive like an absolute maniac and your computer should be fine. :)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

Wrap up the monitor with bubble wrap etc. Put in car.

Put PC in car and drive car.

This right here. I moved from Tennessee to Florida years ago. I just put my PC in the front seat and used the seat belt to secure it. Had zero issues.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

If you don't have any of the packaging left from like the monitor I recommend putting the monitor on the seat on the front as it is quite fragile. Put the computer in the back seat and possibly secure it somehow with a seatbelt of such, the cushioning should help prevent some of the damage caused by pot holes or any shocks. Other than that drive carefully and you should be fine. The keyboard, mouse and headset can be just thrown in the trunk as they aren't really fragile and are fine if they take shocks.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, thunderfire123 said:

I gotta move my whole setup, PC, monitor and all. Is there any advice or way I'm supposed to pack everything? Or can i just put it all in the back of my car wrapped in blankets?

It depends.

The recommendation is the original chassis box and monitor box, but if you don't have those, the next best thing is a rubbermaid tote or some other "solid" box and then just fill it with plastic bags or clothes. 

However, if there are no mechanical drives in the machine, the only thing you need to worry about is the heatsink being ripped off from sudden braking. The best place in the car is behind the passenger seat on the floor, just wedge it in there with clothes or plastic bags so that it doesn't bounce around and it will be fine.

The monitor however you will want to stick something solid in front of it, otherwise the glass will crack if something hits the front of it.

Regarding monitor, try to keep it vertical, depending on the size, lying flat on uneven roads may damage it, t he chance is low, but better safe than sorry.

put your delicate things like your PC and Monitor in their original boxes (monitor box and the box that the case came in), you can pick up some boxes from what like uhaul truck rent places lol, and then place misc items like keyboard, mouse, keypad and all that into the box, i wouldn't recommend stuffing the internals of your PC with foam for safety, unless you're traveling abroad, which i assume you're not

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital