Is It Safe To Turn Fan Q Control On?

Akolyte

I would like my CPU fan to control by temperature and last time I turned Q control on it didn't spin, yet its a PWM fan.  So I'm wondering if it was just a one time thing or actually a problem.  Because I'm using a Noctua NH-U12DX  i4 XEON cooler.  The fan is PWM.

My system specs are on my profile and my drivers are up to date as of early this year and my BIOS was updated back in november I think.  Thanks in advance if I missed anything out I'll be able to edit the post and put it in here.  Thanks again!

How long did you turn it on for? Cuz it might just be because your CPU hasn't heated up enough for the fan to be actually required to activate. 

The CPU fans are controlled by the cpu temperatures by default. To test this, just fire up HWMonitor when it is idle and run a stress test program like AIDA64 to see if the RPM changes according to the cpu temps. I remember when I changed Q fan control to advanced on my z87 board, my pwm fan spun so slowly that I had to restart to fix it immediately. So I think if Q fan might be for 3 pin cpu fans.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The CPU fans are controlled by the cpu temperatures by default. To test this, just fire up HWMonitor when it is idle and run a stress test program like AIDA64 to see if the RPM changes according to the cpu temps. I remember when I changed Q fan control to advanced on my z87 board, my pwm fan spun so slowly that I had to restart to fix it immediately. So I think if Q fan might be for 3 pin cpu fans.

I don't get it?  My Fan is PWM? 

I don't get it?  My Fan is PWM? 

If you plug in the PWM fans onto your motherboard, it will control them by giving pulses of 12v voltage to control the fan speed (instead of controlling the voltage) (unsure about this so correct me if I am wrong). But Q-fan control is for 3 pin fan control so I think that is probably why it doesn't spin because its not intended to control PWM fans. Just try running a cpu stress test program like AIDA64 and the fans will spin up accordingly to cpu temps.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer