Does Buying a product from a country with a different power socket voltage affect the product?

Veer_213

So basically, I'm heading to Japan in a few months and I'm planning to buy a laptop. I'm mainly looking at the Alienware M15 and my plan was to buy from Australia. But since my currency exchange ends up being worth 40 something ¥, I might just buy from Japan. But Japan uses a 100 volt socket, and my country uses 240 Volts, does this affect the product? Since I understand the charger will be suited for 100 volts but will the laptop itself be built to handle any voltage? Or is it configured for 100 volts only? I know there must be another place to start this topic but I didn't know where else to categorize this so I thought people who know about power supplies may know. And for that I am sorry. Please help me out. 

check if the charger can handle 240v, some manufacturers make their products to be able to handle both voltage types(probably the wrong word). if it says it can only run at 100v then your out of luck cause it will break as soon as you connect it to a socket 

speaking from experiance....

3 hours ago, Veer_213 said:

So basically, I'm heading to Japan in a few months and I'm planning to buy a laptop. I'm mainly looking at the Alienware M15 and my plan was to buy from Australia. But since my currency exchange ends up being worth 40 something ¥, I might just buy from Japan. But Japan uses a 100 volt socket, and my country uses 240 Volts, does this affect the product? Since I understand the charger will be suited for 100 volts but will the laptop itself be built to handle any voltage? Or is it configured for 100 volts only? I know there must be another place to start this topic but I didn't know where else to categorize this so I thought people who know about power supplies may know. And for that I am sorry. Please help me out. 

Japan is 50/60hz, and electronics that run on DC anyway from Japan work just fine in the US. The only thing that tends to be different between a Japanese market and an American market version of the same thing is the power cord shippped with. If something ships with a removable power cord, then it's probably the only difference.

With PC electronics, Laptops, Tablets, etc, the device itself is fine. Desktop PC's as an example, have the 120/240V switch, and others do not (they auto-switch.) Laptop power bricks tend to be all the same, and they just make the cord detachable so they can switch a $1 part instead of making a dozen different versions with a fixed cord.

Input:100-240V / 50-60Hz
Output:19.5V 12.3A
Power: 240W

A laptop Power supply (quoted is Dell) will accept any world power standard if it says it will accept a 50-60hz and 100-240v, and only outputs the power the laptop would use.