AHCI or RST?

nanobii
Go to solution Solved by nanobii,
On 8/17/2019 at 11:59 PM, Senzelian said:

While this is a little weird and I haven't seen it before, it's fine.

RST ( Intel Rapid Storage) is used to "accelerate" your system with the help of an Optane cache.

But it must support also AHCI, cause otherwise, it wouldn't be able to cache the data of an AHCI drive and of course you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows now ;) 

I contacted Gigabyte regarding it, and this was their response:

Both IRST and AHCI should work, however, IRST is more new, while AHCI may be more stable.

We would suggest sticking to default settings if it works for you, since if the options were reset in the future due to any sort of reasons, you will be safe from having to enter BIOS again to adjust the settings.

Best Regards,

GIGABYTE

Just finished installing my new motherboard (Gigabyte B360 Aorus Gaming) entered bios and updated it to the latest version and enabled XMP then decided to check the SATA options, and I found that under Sata Selection Mode the default was Intel RST With Intel Optane System Acceleration. I thought AHCI is the default option, but apparently, it isn't for me. Is this okay or should I change it back to AHCI? I understand I must reinstall Windows 10 to do that, and I will if it’s a deal-breaker.

I'm only using 1 SATA SSD

RST ( Intel Rapid Storage) is used to "accelerate" your system with the help of an Optane cache.

But it must support also AHCI, cause otherwise, it wouldn't be able to cache the data of an AHCI drive and of course you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows now ;) 

It's indeed strange. So far no issues at all, if I start to notice issues I might reinstall and go back to AHCI. Thanks! 

On 8/17/2019 at 11:59 PM, Senzelian said:

I contacted Gigabyte regarding it, and this was their response:

Both IRST and AHCI should work, however, IRST is more new, while AHCI may be more stable.

We would suggest sticking to default settings if it works for you, since if the options were reset in the future due to any sort of reasons, you will be safe from having to enter BIOS again to adjust the settings.

Best Regards,

GIGABYTE