Pi-Hole Setup Tutorial

jakkuh_t
On 2/16/2020 at 2:58 PM, Jarsky said:

The black screen is normal, but the error message is not. It would indicate that your Raspberry Pi either has a network connectivity problem, or you have a configuration issue. 

On your Pi can you run these commands? 

dig github.com

curl -Si https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/releases/latest

Tried both commands on RasbianOS with the failed install as tomsquack noted in pictures. Both commands are unresponsive either in SSH or Consol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I appreciate this will have some linux people loose their minds, so enjoy!

To completely remove the need for a password on your Pi-Hole.

In the command line: pihole -a -p

No need to ever enter a password in again for the web interface - keep in mind that also means that all settings can be changed by anyone. Remove with caution.

First thing to remember about any Pi-Hole is to shut it.  The ports you don't need, at least.

If I want to continue to use cloudflare as a DNS instead of spectrums given ones, do I have to configure that in the PI, through my router, or on individual devices?

Need help on setting this up on a raspbian.

I'd very newb when comes to linux/raspbian so i think I did some mistake when installing the pi hole.

I'd installed raspbian and OMV on my raspi 4.

Then i tried to install pi hole into the same machine using the command curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

But after installation I am unable the pi-hole via ssh (http://192.168.1.10/admin )

It showed ??? OMV page with the following:

Software Failure.   Press left mouse button to continue.
The requested page was not found

I think i'd messed up smth, likely there's a conflict btw OMV and pi-hole? But I am not sure, can anyone explain?

@jakkuh_t

Great tutorial! Works like a charm. A few comments/suggestions:

1. When I tried to set it up via wifi, Angry IP scanner wouldn't find the raspi on the network, so I just connected my raspi 3 B+ into my router directly and got the IP from the Router admin dashboard directly. I think this should be the recommended approach as it doesn't require installing a random app that you will probably want to uninstall right after. When I did finally ssh into my raspi, it did say 
    Wi-Fi is currently blocked by rfkill.
    and so I have a feeling the wifi detection approach wouldn't work anyway, at least on this raspi version. Plus, in the tutorial you even say that you don't support a wifi installation, so might as well go full Ethernet style :)
  2. I followed the steps on a Mac and everything pretty much worked all the same. A few minor differences below. Could you add them somewhere as a note? Perhaps a footer in the original post. Should be pretty similar for other Unix machines as well.
    1. The location of the mounted sdcard was in

cd /Volumes

2. all the Putty nonesense can just be replaced with a single terminal command: 
      ssh pi@192.168.1.5

if you don't put pi@, it will default to your username.

3. ipconfig doesn't work the same way here. The command requires some additional arguments. Instead, simply just go to System Preferences... -> Network -> Advanced... -> TCP/IP tab and look for Router.

3. Part 3 confused me because it lists hardmode (enable on all devices) first and then easymode (enable at the router level). I went through the trouble of doing it on a few devices before realizing that easymode was much, well, easier, and just as effective (PS doing it on a Fire TV stick sucks balls, but is doable). I can see hardmode being required in some instances where some devices don't play well with the DNS blocking at all and you are forced to use per-device settings, but that should be an additional note, not the first step that inattentive people like me will jump straight into.

Overall, following the tut was nice & easy. The youtube video inspired me to do this, and to thank you guys I just put in an order for a dope CPU T-Shirt. Keep up the good work!

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 11.44.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 11.55.16 AM.png

On 8/16/2019 at 2:11 PM, jakkuh_t said:
  • *Optional*: Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter
    • This is in case the RasPi you are using doesn't have an ethernet port or WiFi (if you're using the Pi Zero, you will need one of these)

I was trying to figure this out, but nobody has asked it yet, shouldn't you be able to use the USB connector(s) on your router instead of an adapter? It is my understanding that connecting through the router gives an internal address that can be used by a printer or NAS, wouldn't it also work for this or am I missing something here? I am only asking because it seems like this adapter is more expensive than the power supply and it sounds like another user has set it up to use this connection as a power outlet, so if your router has 2 USB ports you could connect both up?

Hi all, I want to build a pi hole and a firewall with openWRT. Just wondering if it will be possible to run both on a pi 4 model b, or maybe a pi zero? I can't see why it wouldn't work but wanted to see what you think? 

• 2 weeks later...

When I get to the login part it will not let me type anything into the password lines. Anyone got a solution? :/

When I get to the login part it will not let me type anything into the password lines. Anyone got a solution? :/
image.png.bd25658d3d2b9ddb59da2d54cdb502e1.png

On 4/28/2020 at 7:08 PM, Z_0018 said:

image.png.bd25658d3d2b9ddb59da2d54cdb502e1.png

It doesn't show you typing - but it actually is. Type the password and hit enter. It will not show the text.

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips for general good blocklists?

And any tips for a special blocklist windows 10 telemetry (newest update) with pihole?

can someone help me when i try to use it as my dns server it says it doesnt exist

On 5/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, Pizza112 said:

can someone help me when i try to use it as my dns server it says it doesnt exist

could you provide a snippet?
Are you sure you don't have a typo or something?

is step 7,  for password part,

it is always freezing making me unable to type anything for the password part in Putty, any idea why?

tried re-plugging the raspberry, still no luck

im am not able to access admn page for pi hole and also not able to connect ssh through the static ip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I was wondering how to be able to do this step:

1. Plug your uSD card into the Raspberry Pi followed by networking, and then power.
  2. Since we're doing a headless install, we'll need to search for our raspberrypi's IP address so we can access it over SSH.
    1. If you know what you're doing, log in to your router's admin page and check the DHCP client/reservation list for "raspberrypi"
    2. If you don't know how to do the above, download Angry IP scanner and run it: https://lmg.gg/8KVmS
    3. Look for the hostname "raspberrypi", on that line the IP and MAC address of our Raspberry Pi will also be listed: 10.20.0.77 in our case (https://i.imgur.com/lK2ce0R.png)

I will be buying my first Raspberry Pi ever so I don't know what to expect. Only the Raspberry Pi Zero W, which has WiFi built-in is available so I don't exactly know how to connect its networking capability as I won't be using a cable as indicated in the guide. Can someone help me with a step-by-step for this?

On 4/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, mawilhite2 said:

If I want to continue to use cloudflare as a DNS instead of spectrums given ones, do I have to configure that in the PI, through my router, or on individual devices?

Signed up for an account just to help you here.

- Set Cloudflare as the "upstream" DNS option during initial install (alternatively you can go to your 192.168.x.x/admin web login afterward and change the settings there)

- Set Cloudflare DNS as your secondary DNS option on your router (the primary DNS you will set as your local pihole IP, of course)

FWIW, I've got young kids so have selected to use Cloudflare's brand new "Family" DNS options. 1.1.1.3.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-1-1-1-1-for-families/

So I set 1.1.1.3 (and 1.0.0.3 as secondary) in custom DNS on the raspberry pi web interface. Then I also set 1.1.1.3 as my secondary DNS on my router (with the raspberry pi IP being the primary DNS).

Best part about the Cloudflare family DNS for me is that they auto-enable Google/Bing/Duckduckgo safe search by default. There are some extremely obscure github tutorials out there about trying to set that up on raspberry pi, but I was never able to get it to work without the Cloudflare option.

Good luck!

On 6/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, SoloWing123 said:

Hello everyone, I was wondering how to be able to do this step:

I will be buying my first Raspberry Pi ever so I don't know what to expect. Only the Raspberry Pi Zero W, which has WiFi built-in is available so I don't exactly know how to connect its networking capability as I won't be using a cable as indicated in the guide. Can someone help me with a step-by-step for this?

A little bit of Googling is your friend!

https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/raspberry-pi-zerow-headless-wifi-setup.html

Create the wpa_supplicant.conf file at the same time you create the ssh file as outlined in LTT's tutorial. Just change the country code to "US" (or your respective country) instead of "AU" from the link above. This will supply your Wi-Fi info to the pi before you even get it booted up for the first time.

Thank you for the tutorial, it really helped me

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

i cant type in the password on putty, any help?

5 minutes ago, sat1011 said:

The characters won't show up but the password is being typed.  Just put it in and hit enter

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 6/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, sat1011 said:

Do you mean that nothing is appearing as you type out the password or something? How are you trying to access your pi through putty?

Is it possible to use the same Raspberry  Pi as a file server in case of a Raspberry Pi 4?