Pi-Hole Setup Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Hey, I got this all setup on my Rpi 4 but when adding my devices individually, I came to a struggle when adding my Honor 7x phone. I followed the android tutorial on this forum, but it asked me for a default gateway. I looked on my isp webpage thing and it listed one, however now at least half my webpages on my phone now just don't load. So I'm a little stumped, if anyone who understands emui or something could help it'd be much appreciated, I know this is an old post but it's awesome.

Actually you don't have to have an ethernet to usb adapter. I have rpi zero without wifi and all i needed was an usb cable. Enable rndis on your rpi (enable ssh). While setting up the pi-hole enter custom ip adress that can be used by your router. After installation is complete, plug your usb cable to data port (i run without power supply) and other end to the your router's usb port. Next step is tricky one because we'll need to add usb0 network interface to bridge list in order to supply internet connection to rpi. Connect to your router by telnet (you may need to enable it from admin panel of your router) after you connect, type this command to add usb0 to the network bridge "brctl addif br0 usb0". Now you have network connection on your rpi and also you can use rpi as dns server.

I've installed raspbian buster lite and updated it.  When trying to install pi-hole, I get the following errors. It appears that the first error occurs after "get: 25". Can someone help?

Screenshot.png

3 hours ago, miskatonichiker said:

I've installed raspbian buster lite and updated it.  When trying to install pi-hole, I get the following errors. It appears that the first error occurs after "get: 25". Can someone help?

Screenshot.png

Nevermind, I downloaded the manual installer and that seems to have worked.

So i logged into my router and i cant find anything about assigning a static IP to my raspberry pi. All it mentioned is assigning a reserved IP.  Idk if my ISP allows people to to assign static IP addresses or not. Is there any other way to continue without a static IP.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to have the Pi Hole encrypt my data for added security, is it already doing that anyway or do i need to manually configure it?

I have a question, if i use Ethernet will it be faster then just using wifi?
As i have been thinking about getting a raspberry pi zero W with built in WiFi.

On 8/23/2020 at 3:33 AM, Authentication said:

I have a question, if i use Ethernet will it be faster then just using wifi?
As i have been thinking about getting a raspberry pi zero W with built in WiFi.

Ethernet would be better in most scenarios if possible. 

On 8/18/2020 at 11:11 PM, soldiergamer18 said:

Is there a way to have the Pi Hole encrypt my data for added security, is it already doing that anyway or do i need to manually configure it?

On 8/26/2020 at 12:13 PM, Phenix51 said:

Ethernet would be better in most scenarios if possible. 

I already bought a Pi Zero W and I'm going to install pi-hole this Sunday (I'm waiting for a MicroSD Card to SD Card adapter to arrive from Amazon). I originally wanted to buy a Pi Zero and a seperate ethernet adapter since Ethernet is faster than Wi-Fi but I just went with the Pi Zero W instead since it already has on-board Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. I'm going to place my Raspberry Pi next to my router. Do you think it would matter if I use Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet in my case? I didn't want to get the Pi Zero because I think using a seperate Ethernet adapter would be more of a hassle than using on-board Wi-Fi and it would obviously add to the cost of everything (Raspberry Pi, Power supply, SD Card, etc).

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I've been trying out this guide and I had it working network wide. But one question came to my head, security. Is there a way to use a firewall or something to only allow HTTP, SSH, and other essential ports or encrypt the queries going to and from the Pi-hole?

Main System (Windows/Hackintosh/Ubuntu Triple Boot):

CPU: i7-6700K 4.6GHz with Hyper 212 BE (Push-Pull with 2x Corsair ML120's)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE

RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 8GB

MB: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI

• 1 month later...

I have a little problem when i want to use PuTTY and want to conect it says 

Network error: Connection refused

i am using a FRITZ!Box 7490 as my router

and i am connected with my pc over ethernet

and my raspberry Pi Zero w is connected also with ethernet to my Router

pls help me if u can D:

1.PNG

1 hour ago, Leo424 said:

I have a little problem when i want to use PuTTY and want to conect it says 

Network error: Connection refused

i am using a FRITZ!Box 7490 as my router

and i am connected with my pc over ethernet

and my raspberry Pi Zero w is connected also with ethernet to my Router

pls help me if u can 😧

But RPi Zero doesn't have ethernet.... 🤔

I assume you can PING the RPi ok? e.g ping 192.168.178.42 and get a response?

It might be because you havent enabled SSH. If you used like Noobs/Raspbian, then when you created the SD card, on that boot partition you need to create a file called "ssh" (or it might be ssh.txt), that will enable SSH on boot. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1. Log in on the PiHole itself and ensure all services required are running
  2. Connect from your LAN into the PiHole using its IP address from the FritzBox
  3. Only if step 2 was successful, configure the FritzBox to allow traffic from the web to the PiHole

You cannot connect from your PC via the internet to your PiHole. You MUST use a device that's not on your network! That can be very simple: use your smartphone and connect via your phone carrier (NOT WiFi!!) to the IP address of the FritzBox. You can find that by logging in, then Internet -> Online Monitor and you'll see the IPv4 and if available IPv6 addresses your FritzBox has. Use the IPv4 address, at least for now.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

how do i see the dns of the pi hole

aka what do i have to put in into my phone/smarttv?

On the PiHole, do the following command (copy/paste!)

sudo /nano /etc/resolv.conf

Enter your password on request. Then add this line to the file:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

This is the main Google DNS server. Close the file by pressing Ctrl+x and save the contents.

That's your DNS solved (s'cuse the pun :P )

On your phone or TV, enter the IP address given by the FritzBox as I outlined earlier into the browser bar.

WARNING: if you make a device accessible from the internet, YOU are responsible for everything that device does. It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to keep the device from becoming hacked and part of a botnet, run by criminals to do their bidding. If your device gets compromised (hacked) you are STILL responsible and liable for what these criminals did. So, YOU can go to jail for their crimes! I strongly warn you about this as your knowledge level appears to me to be insufficient to actually safely run a computer on the web.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, hirusha.adikari said:

this link won't work anymore

you can get it here now: https://www.raspbian.org/

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 8/19/2019 at 11:47 PM, GameMaster2030 said:

For anyone who also cares about privacy I would recommend setting up DNS over HTTPS, that way all your requests are encrypted. You can find the official guide here

Also if you want to use your DNS server away from home you can follow this official guide here. But setting it up to have a VPN and DNS server there are some changes that we need to do that don't follow the guide. 

1. Under "installation", you can skip the install pi-hole part since you should already have installed pi-hole. (For more experienced linux users: the port of the openvpn server can be anything. But make sure the port isn't already in use or that your ISP blocks it when port forwarding. Can be handy to bypass port blocks by using port 433 or 80)
  2. Skip finding the IP under "Setup OpenVPN Server" and change `10.8.0.1` to the ip of your RPi(Raspberry Pi) which you already have if you followed Jake's guide.
  3. Before creating an user follow this:
    1. Run command: `openvpn --genkey --secret ta.key`
    2. Edit the config file and add this line: `tls-auth ta.key 0` 
      (This adds an encryption layer between the client and the server, so some extra security)
  4. You can probably skip "Firewall Configuration" since Raspbian doesn't have a firewall pre-installed and you also don't have installed any
  5. Follow these parts of "Optional: Dual operation: LAN & VPN at the same time"
    1. Add this line to your `/etc/openvpn/server/server.conf`: `push "route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0"` but change `192.168.2.0` to your subnet which you can find in your ip, for example if your ip is: `192.168.1.43` you replace `192.168.2.0` with `192.168.1.0` and with `192.167.8.28` you replace it with `192.167.8.0`. But if your IP is for example `10.8.0.7` you'll probably need to replace the whole line with `push "route 10.8.0.0 255.255.0.0"`.
    2. Run this command: `pihole -a -i all`
    3. After this port forward `1194` or the port you decided to use on your router, you can find guides online. 

Let me know if you find a mistake in this.

Really struggling with this for some reason. Raspberry Pi Zero is ARM 32-bit right?

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

The new link for the OS is https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/operating-systems/
called " Raspberry Pi OS Lite "
@ https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_armhf/images/raspios_lite_armhf-2021-01-12/2021-01-11-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.zip

• 2 weeks later...

i did this with a full raspian desktop install on a 3b+ and it works flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

if i do this on a Pi Zero Wireless, what step do i need to change? 

Hello guys, 

I am trying this right now, but when I connect the raspberry pi to my laptop using the usb to Ethernet dongol  it doesn't show up! I tried to ping it using "ping raspberrypi.local" (I am using ubuntu) but it is not ping-able still. I checked the ssh file and it is removed which should mean that the ssh is enabled.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

thanks alot

No, only if the ssh file is in place, Raspbian (the RPi OS) enables ssh. Otherwise, it's off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.. did anyone run this aplication with USB LTE modem as accesspoint with adblocking feature?

I am going to buy alcatel link key IK40 and looking for how to make this modem, with Zero as mobile  accessPoint and wish to have it  with this pretty adblocking feature... 😉