Fanless PSU

kirbydude47

I was wondering are PSUs that are fanless still as efficient as PSUs with fans, do they get more hot and since I will be gaming but not heaving gaming would I still be fine with a fanless one. I play mostly simulators and will be playing on high settings.

If I were you I would never even think about that. it puts your whole PC (and yourself) at risk by exposing it to heat which might make it "blow up" and take other parts with it.

4 minutes ago, Apocalyman said:

If I were you I would never even think about that. it puts your whole PC (and yourself) at risk by exposing it to heat which might make it "blow up" and take other parts with it.

If it was a terrible PSU, sure. The Prime Fanless is overly expensive, but not a bad unit. There's a couple other units that aren't so bad, like the Digifanless.

9 minutes ago, kirbydude47 said:

I was wondering are PSUs that are fanless still as efficient as PSUs with fans, do they get more hot and since I will be gaming but not heaving gaming would I still be fine with a fanless one. I play mostly simulators and will be playing on high settings.

I mean, that depends on the model in question. The Prime Fanless Titanium still reached 90%+ efficiency but it does run hotter because there is no direct airflow. It's overly expensive and not worth it, imo. You can get a few silent units like the Bitfenix Whisper M or Corsair RMx at less of a price and still achieve low noise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

35 minutes ago, Apocalyman said:

?!

a high quality unit would be fine. 

Many psu’s have zero rpm mode anyway and only spin up st a certain temp

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

52 minutes ago, kirbydude47 said:

This is the PSU I got 

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX69929

it says its fanless but it still has a fan, does it mean fanless that it doesn't spin under a certain load, also is this a good PSU I got

Yes the Fans stay off untill 15% load reached.

My PSU´s fan stay´s off untill 50% reached. So you do fine here.

The PSU itself looks fine, but 80+ Gold would be a better choice.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

5 hours ago, kirbydude47 said:

This is the PSU I got 

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX69929

it says its fanless but it still has a fan, does it mean fanless that it doesn't spin under a certain load, also is this a good PSU I got

Too bad. 

Should have asked first.  There are much better options out there. 

6 hours ago, kirbydude47 said:

it says its fanless but it still has a fan,

It clearly states Semi-Fanless for what is worth it

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yeah, it says semi-fanless, not fanless. Did you read it and think "hmm, I wonder what the semi part means... Probably nothing"? 

This is a fanless power supply:

Laptop-power-brick.jpg

They can get pretty toasty, if you want a quiet power supply for your desktop get a semi-passive one with zero rpm mode. I have a RM550X and even at 200W the fan stays off so its basically always passive.

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Too bad. 

Should have asked first.  There are much better options out there. 

The PSU I got is the one that memory express recommended because I was going to get a really good one but it was out of stock

7 minutes ago, kirbydude47 said:

The PSU I got is the one that memory express recommended because I was going to get a really good one but it was out of stock

So Memory Express recommended a PSU that they had an over-abundance of because people that do their research first know better and never buy it.

So when Memory Express gets the good PSUs back in stock, are they going to let you return that one so you can get a good one instead?

And why are you buying PSUs from Memory Express when there are typically so many other options out there with much larger selection and inventory?