Does a HDMI to USB-C adapter exist?

DevTed

I recently purchased a elgato hd60 pro and slowly finishing my build. 

One problem, I have one monitor...BUT I have a ASUS zenscreen I haven't been using lately.

Problem is, it only has a USB-C input. My hd60 only has a HDMI output.

Is there any adapters out there that will let me use the zenscreen with a hdmi connection?

No because the USB interface requires a host.

This type of device does not exist.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've seen some on Amazon but I don't know for sure that they would work in your specific use case. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I love gaming, but so new to streaming. And it seems like I'll def. need another monitor

to be able to stream using the hd60 pro. Oh well...

So, I work for a hardware manufacturer of tons of connectivity things such as these. The answer is no there is not such an item.

The display's that use only USB-C, are using the USB-C DisplayortAlternative mode to output the video signal. This is well and good, and it's possible to reverse this with some very specific DP to USB-C cables that are bidirectional because this is a passive conversion.

However, according to the USB-C DP Alt mode spec, the conversion to ANY other video signal type, like HDMI is an ACTIVE conversion requiring internal electronics to change it over from the DisplayPort signalling type to HDMI signalling type. Yes, both are digital, but different signalling. Due to this active component, these are NOT reversible. As such, no, there's nothing out there that will go HDMI to USB-C video that doesn't violate the specification, and thus, legally shouldn't be sold.

If you buy a USB-C display, you're basically stuck with USB-C. There are some exceptions, which are USB-C displays that have a USB 3.0 mode, or situations where you can use one of the rare bidirectional USB-C/DP cables, but that's it, unfortunately.

TL;Dr: Not possible what you're trying to do, those adapters that claim they can do it, can't without violating the spec.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The ASUS ZenScreen is a USB display device using a thing called Display Link. So you can't even convert any standard display interface to it 

DisplayLink is a USB to video graphical chipset used in tons of products, and importantly, is the only macOS supported USB video chipset out there. Just to clear up what it is :P The ZenScreen can by-pass the chipset with a DP-Alt mode enabled USB-C connection, however, which is very common.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section