Time For an Upgrade

In 2013 I built a rig with a 4770k and two GTX 760's. It's been struggling to keep up with modern games for some time now, and I'm looking to build another 5+ year machine.

I would like some feedback on my choices, to make sure that there aren't any bottlenecks, or any serious overkills for a 5+ year machine.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Get a single 2080ti and upgrade cpu to 9900k or 3900x.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

19 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I would like some feedback on my choices, to make sure that there aren't any bottlenecks, or any serious overkills for a 5+ year machine.

Are you playing at 4K 144hz? it's very hard to justify SLI 2080 Ti's, it is overkill

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

16 minutes ago, pizapower said:

SLI is pretty much dead.

The problems with Dx12 do put a damper on multi GPU setups don't they?

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

Are you playing at 4K 144hz? it's very hard to justify SLI 2080 Ti's, it is overkill

I was intending to try to hit 4K at playable framerates. I haven't thought much past that.

I think it's important to keep in perspective that this build will likely not be updated, nor will I upgrade to a new rig for roughly 5 years, give or take. Does SLI make more sense from that point of view, or is it still more cost effective to upgrade to a nicer processor and drop the second card?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

21 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I was intending to try to hit 4K at playable framerates. I haven't thought much past that.

It's easy to hit playable framerates at 4K with one RTX 2080 Ti

21 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I think it's important to keep in perspective that this build will likely not be updated, nor will I upgrade to a new rig for roughly 5 years, give or take. Does SLI make more sense from that point of view, or is it still more cost effective to upgrade to a nicer processor and drop the second card?

I understand you, but the RTX 2080 Ti will likely be replaced by a much faster GPU 1-2 years down the line as 7nm is coming soon, so from an overall cost and performance perspective it's better to get one RTX 2080 Ti and then upgrade again in 2 years as SLI is not getting any support these days and you'll likely have tons of issues, though this only applies because you're overpaying, when people plan for a "future proof" build they have cost/performance in mind, and this build has horrible cost/performance

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.