Torn between Dark Rock 4 and Corsair Hydro H100i

Hey guys! :)

I am torn between which cooler to choose, because one of them are on sale. The corsair h100i platinum cost 900kr usually 1500kr. The dark rock 4 isn’t on sale and cost 800kr. I live in Norway btw. I was wondring which cooler would be the best solution for amd ryzen 5 3600. I don’t want something that is overkill. I plan to let the pb2 do its thing, therefore i want some headroom for the temperatures.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, pizapower said:

How long do you plan to use the cooler? Air coolers outlast AIOs(pump failures are pretty usual).

Yeah that was one of my main concerns when choosing a aio, planned to use it for about 3-4 years. The things with air coolers are they are more robust and preforms better than some aios. Do you know if the dark rock 4 not pro is a good enough cooler for my use case?

I don't know much about their coolers but my Noctua NH-D14 is 8-9 year old and is still going strong.

33 minutes ago, Captain_Norway said:

Yeah that was one of my main concerns when choosing a aio, planned to use it for about 3-4 years. The things with air coolers are they are more robust and preforms better than some aios. Do you know if the dark rock 4 not pro is a good enough cooler for my use case?

The non pro would definitely suffice, no need for the pro

It's just a 65W chip if I recall correctly

Heck even the non pro is overkill if you don't oc to the max

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

10 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Which one would you recommend? 

15 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

The dark rock slim maybe? It is like 400kr which is half the price of the the dark rock 4. The thing is that i plan to let pb2 do the overclocking therefore i want headroom for the temperature

24 minutes ago, Captain_Norway said:

The dark rock slim maybe? It is like 400kr which is half the price of the the dark rock 4. The thing is that i plan to let pb2 do the overclocking therefore i want headroom for the temperature

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/kuehler/be_quiet_dark_rock_slim/s04.php

Might be a decent lower budget option

Though I have no actual numbers what pb2 needs for temperatures to work

If you want to go save and have some headroom later on if you decide to oc the hell out of thr chip the dark rock 4 is the better option, for a decent quiet solution the slim might be the better option.

As even the slim manages good temps with the 9590 which is a very hot chip both should have no problems with the 3600

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

4 hours ago, Captain_Norway said:

Hey guys! :)

I am torn between which cooler to choose, because one of them are on sale. The corsair h100i platinum cost 900kr usually 1500kr. The dark rock 4 isn’t on sale and cost 800kr. I live in Norway btw. I was wondring which cooler would be the best solution for amd ryzen 5 3600. I don’t want something that is overkill. I plan to let the pb2 do its thing, therefore i want some headroom for the temperatures.

Thanks!

Both are overkill for a 65w chip, but I say go with the dark rock. 

Deepcool and scythe also offer nice coolers at lower prices

2 hours ago, StarsMars said:

Heyo i am going with the silentium fortis 3, but thanks for helping!

2 hours ago, StarsMars said:

They don't sell deepcool coolers nor the scythe coolers here in norway unfortunately.

What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Nzxt h500 and corsair lpx ddr4 3600 cl18

From my previous post I remember you talking about the Silentium Fortis 3. I think i am going to go with it. Do you have any thoughts on the cooler for this cpu?

If you were wondering, the mobo is gonna be either the b450 tomahawk or x470 gaming pro carbon. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Norway said:

Heyo i am going with the silentium fortis 3, but thanks for helping!

3 hours ago, Captain_Norway said:

They don't sell deepcool coolers nor the scythe coolers here in norway unfortunately.

The fortis 3 is going to be more than enough cooling. 

Looking forward to to visiting your country later this year!

30 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

The fortis 3 is going to be more than enough cooling. 

Looking forward to to visiting your country later this year!

You should definitely look for to come here! It’s really beautiful here with the mountains and the fjords. Unfortunately it’s a bit expensive here

2 minutes ago, Captain_Norway said:

You should definitely look for to come here! It’s really beautiful here with the mountains and the fjords. Unfortunately it’s a bit expensive here

I will be there in October :]. Already planned. 

User stock cooler , apply voltage offset maybe -0.1v or so to pbo . aftermarket heatsink or AIO is never worth it for the performance gained on ryzen , assuming the same noise and temps are present .

24 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

I will be there in October :]. Already planned. 

Where will your journey start?

@WoodenMarker

What is the difference between:

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600Mhz 16GB

And

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz 16GB

other than the RGB?

2 hours ago, Captain_Norway said:

What is the difference

the RGB?

Yes. 

5 hours ago, Captain_Norway said:

From my previous post I remember you talking about the Silentium Fortis 3. I think i am going to go with it. Do you have any thoughts on the cooler for this cpu?

Ah, it's pretty good for the price. As mentioned before, the Macho Rev. B is better if you want something more quiet and have more to spend. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes. 

Ah, it's pretty good for the price. As mentioned before, the Macho Rev. B is better if you want something more quiet and have more to spend. 

Thank for your help man!

11 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

User stock cooler , apply voltage offset maybe -0.1v or so to pbo . aftermarket heatsink or AIO is never worth it for the performance gained on ryzen , assuming the same noise and temps are present .

The stock cooler should be sufficient but the rest I don’t agree with. Setting an offset voltage actually hampers the PBO a bit and AMD recommends against doing so. A good heatsink or AIO is actually worth it for Ryzen as the 3000 series CPUs have been shown to scale well with temperature - they act more like GPUs. The cooler the temperature the more performance you can extract out of it - and I’m not purely talking about LN2, normal cooling helps.

The Ryzen 3000 chips also have non-existent OC headroom.

Air coolers are definitely good OP and you should do it. AIOs aren’t as bad as some people make it out to be and often by the time they reach near the end of their lifetimes you’re already onto another system and with it another CPU cooler.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD