Looking to upgrade my pc to be able to edit 4k footage

Hello!
I'm considering upgrading my PC, but I need a little help on what to start looking for. I'm in Italy.

Here's my current gear:

CPU: Intel i7 3770

Motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H77-V

RAM: 24GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB

Storage: -Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 500GB (boot drive)

-SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

- 1TB WD mechanical drive

- 3TB WD mechanical drive
Power Supply: -750W (sorry, I can't remember the brand and my case hides it. It is recent tho, as I had to buy one to be able to power the 2080)
                        - Schneider Electric 1100 Back-UPS

I currently use 3 monitors: 2 22" samsung monitors and a 37" tv connected via hdmi

My current benchmarks are around 590 in cinebench and 8381 in 3D Mark in Time Spy (not extreme because my motherboard doesn't support DirectX12 as far as I'm aware)

I work as a filmmaker and this is my current editing machine, which so far works fine as I haven't switched to 4k yet. I also use it for gaming, but I'm not really interested in 4k gaming or going more than 60 fps (my monitors are all 60hz).

However I do plan to switch to 4k shooting and editing in the near future while mantaining a smooth gaming experience at 1080p.

Most of the footage is stored in external drives while it's not being edited (in which case is transfered to the 240GB SSD)

My budget would be around 400€ (plus any value I would get by selling the gear I would be replacing, if it has any resale value that is)

I think the obvious choice would be to start with Motherboard and CPU, but I don't know what would be the best "bang for the buck" in my case. I would also like something that could hold up for at least few years, if possible.
I've been suggested by my local store to look for old server components, but I'd rather have a conventional machine that can be upgraded fairly easy in the future.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Il_Burza said:

Hello!
I'm considering upgrading my PC, but I need a little help on what to start looking for. I'm in Italy.

Here's my current gear:

CPU: Intel i7 3770

Motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H77-V

RAM: 24GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB

Storage: -Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 500GB (boot drive)

-SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

- 1TB WD mechanical drive

- 3TB WD mechanical drive
Power Supply: -750W (sorry, I can't remember the brand and my case hides it. It is recent tho, as I had to buy one to be able to power the 2080)
                        - Schneider Electric 1100 Back-UPS

I currently use 3 monitors: 2 22" samsung monitors and a 37" tv connected via hdmi

My current benchmarks are around 590 in cinebench and 8381 in 3D Mark in Time Spy (not extreme because my motherboard doesn't support DirectX12 as far as I'm aware)

I work as a filmmaker and this is my current editing machine, which so far works fine as I haven't switched to 4k yet. I also use it for gaming, but I'm not really interested in 4k gaming or going more than 60 fps (my monitors are all 60hz).

However I do plan to switch to 4k shooting and editing in the near future while mantaining a smooth gaming experience at 1080p.

Most of the footage is stored in external drives while it's not being edited (in which case is transfered to the 240GB SSD)

My budget would be around 400€ (plus any value I would get by selling the gear I would be replacing, if it has any resale value that is)

I think the obvious choice would be to start with Motherboard and CPU, but I don't know what would be the best "bang for the buck" in my case. I would also like something that could hold up for at least few years, if possible.
I've been suggested by my local store to look for old server components, but I'd rather have a conventional machine that can be upgraded fairly easy in the future.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

The I9 9700k should be just fine, if your budget allows you to, get the 9900k, both are beast CPU's 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

The I9 9900k should be just fine, if your budget allows you to, get the 9900k, both are beast CPU's 

unless you use adobe software the 3900x will provide much better perf at same price, though there are stock issues now

also, op's budget is 400 euro

10 minutes ago, Il_Burza said:

-snip-

right now i think the best option would be to sell the ram, cpu, and motherboard and upgrade that, since the rest of your PC is pretty high end

i'm not entirely sure how much your gear sells for, doing a quick check on ebay, you should be able to get minimally 70 euro on the cpu, motherboard and ram

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €226.89 @ Alternate Italia
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard €115.68 @ Amazon Italia
Memory G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €151.63 @ Amazon Italia
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €494.20
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:44 CEST+0200  

This should be a decent upgrade, though it is a little over budget(unless you manage to sell your old parts at good prices)

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

unless you use adobe software the 3900x will provide much better perf at same price, though there are stock issues now

First of all thank you all for the lightning quick response!

I do use the adobe suite to work. Both CC and CS6 (I'm too cheap to rebuy certian plug-ins twice)

I do have some wiggle room on the budget since I don't plan to switch to 4k before october.
Do you think RAM is a necessary upgrade? Or could that be done at a later date?

7 minutes ago, Il_Burza said:

I do use the adobe suite to work. Both CC and CS6 (I'm too cheap to rebuy certian plug-ins twice)

I do have some wiggle room on the budget since I don't plan to switch to 4k before october.

you won't be able to use your current ram on any of the new CPUs, so you'll need to upgrade that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

you won't be able to use your current ram on any of the new CPUs, so you'll need to upgrade that.

Thanks for clarifying, I only upgraded GPUs, storage and power supply in the last 8 years basically.

You may actually benefit more from buying a 27-32" or higher 4K  (or 3440x 1440/1600 something) VA/IPS monitor with some decent color accuracy.

If you plan to go 4K it will be a pain in the ass to edit 4K on 22" and I assume 1080p... get some higher resolution to see the preview in 720p or 1080p and maybe if you get ultrawide you also get a bit timeline and better productivity.

If you upgrade cpu, you also have to upgrade motherboard and ram ... and you'd get maybe 20-30% more performance for lots of money... the cpu should still be good enough to handle scrubbing 4k footage or whatever...

ex: LG 27UK650-W : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qBGxFT/lg-27uk650-w-270-3840x2160-60hz-monitor-27uk650-w

reviews:https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You may actually benefit more from buying a 27-32" or higher 4K  (or 3440x 1440/1600 something) VA/IPS monitor with some decent color accuracy.

If you plan to go 4K it will be a pain in the ass to edit 4K on 22" and I assume 1080p... get some higher resolution to see the preview in 720p or 1080p and maybe if you get ultrawide you also get a bit timeline and better productivity.

If you upgrade cpu, you also have to upgrade motherboard and ram ... and you'd get maybe 20-30% more performance for lots of money... the cpu should still be good enough to handle scrubbing 4k footage or whatever...

ex: LG 27UK650-W : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qBGxFT/lg-27uk650-w-270-3840x2160-60hz-monitor-27uk650-w

reviews:https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w

Well my main worry is the lack of DirectX12 which bottlenecks the 2080 during rendering. Also some encoding speed upgrade wouldn't be too bad as the Adobe suite, if I remeber correctly, encodes via CPU being accelerated via CUDA.

12 minutes ago, Il_Burza said:

Well my main worry is the lack of DirectX12 which bottlenecks the 2080 during rendering. Also some encoding speed upgrade wouldn't be too bad as the Adobe suite, if I remeber correctly, encodes via CPU being accelerated via CUDA.

You have a 2080 dude, DirectX 12 shouldn't have anything to do with rendering. Premiere or whatever you use will use Cuda or OpenCL to acelerate some things and optionally use nvEnc hardware encoder to encode the video.

It's still a quite powerful card, and a recent model, it should be supported very well. I don't think the cpu today bottlenecks your video card that much.

During actual editing, a faster cpu will help, but not by a significant amount.

My thoughts is that it will be more productive for you to have a better monitor for 4k editing... think of it like this  : you will edit a video for 10 hours and render it in 2 hours.

Upgrading the CPU may reduce the editing time to 9h 40m because it makes timeline snappier, and rendering may reduce to 1h 30m

A better monitor may reduce the editing time to 8h 30m - 9 h because you have more room to work with, less scrolling, less moving between monitors, you can do better grading, better color accuracy but rendering will take same amount of time because it's held back by cpu.

Up to you where you save time... but bigger monitor may be a "improve your life" thing..

37 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You have a 2080 dude, DirectX 12 shouldn't have anything to do with rendering. Premiere or whatever you use will use Cuda or OpenCL to acelerate some things and optionally use nvEnc hardware encoder to encode the video.

It's still a quite powerful card, and a recent model, it should be supported very well. I don't think the cpu today bottlenecks your video card that much.

During actual editing, a faster cpu will help, but not by a significant amount.

My thoughts is that it will be more productive for you to have a better monitor for 4k editing... think of it like this  : you will edit a video for 10 hours and render it in 2 hours.

Upgrading the CPU may reduce the editing time to 9h 40m because it makes timeline snappier, and rendering may reduce to 1h 30m

A better monitor may reduce the editing time to 8h 30m - 9 h because you have more room to work with, less scrolling, less moving between monitors, you can do better grading, better color accuracy but rendering will take same amount of time because it's held back by cpu.

Up to you where you save time... but bigger monitor may be a "improve your life" thing..

I do most of my timeline work on a 37" (I don't know how much of a difference does it make being 1080p considering I use Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution on it), the 2 22" i use for monitor reference/second program running and miscellaneous tasks (data imput, google search, etc).

Color accuracy isn't perfect, I'll give you that.

22 hours ago, Il_Burza said:

Rn you have DDR3, all modern systems only support DDR4, so you'd have to buy new RAM. From personal experience it is definitely not worth upgrading to the latest platform supporting DDR3, performance increase won't be much despite a high price

Also, Ryzen 5 3600 is still better than similarly priced Intel CPUs in most Adobe software, so I still recommend that