tesla superchargers

TheBean

I dont get it. it is so damn obvious. why do no other EV manufacturers use the tesla charger network? tesla has made it open  to any company but nobody else uses it. 

other networks account for less than 40% combined compared to tesla's network and probably charge way slower. 

I don't know enough about this topic, but my guess is simply because they're a competitor. If you were Apple, would want your line of Macbooks to be able to use the same charger as a Dell?

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't know enough about this topic, but my guess is simply because they're a competitor. If you were Apple, would want your line of Macbooks to be able to use the same charger as a Dell?

but they are litterally hurting their sales. if you cant charge your car, do you want to buy it? do you want to wait 2 hours to get a single charge?

there is no advantage to not using their network. in fact, it would be a selling point for EV companies. win win for everyone

30 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I dont get it. it is so damn obvious. why do no other EV manufacturers use the tesla charger network? tesla has made it open  to any company but nobody else uses it. 

other networks account for less than 40% combined compared to tesla's network and probably charge way slower. 

I did hear that Tesla did open it up to other manufacturers to use. But are there licensing fees attached to using that technology? That could be a reason.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Funny you say that, as Tesla is more like Apple in this situation, as the premium brand. Also, Dell computers sometimes can use the same chargers as HPs or others, because most commodity Windows machines use pretty generic charging solutions. Cell phones almost all use a common charging standard, and although it was pushed in that direction by the EU's mandate that cell phones do that, it is now supported by the fact that most manufacturers want you to be able to easily be able to find compatible charging solutions, reinforced by the wide adoption of wireless charging standards like Qi.

I think there's just a resentment on the part of the established automakers against the upstart Tesla. If they could put pride aside, I'd love it if say, Toyota made an EV that was much cheaper and less featured in terms of amenities, but all about the drivetrain efficiencies and durability.

Other EV batteries heat up too quickly to be charged that fast. You can buy adapters for Tesla to Leaf (for e.g. in some countries), but they suck. Tesla put a nice amount of technology in their cars that allows the supercharging. 

12 hours ago, Saksham said:

A few reasons:

1. Their electric car brings virtually no profit. Most manufactures beside sales their electric car at or near cost (especially base models). The end-result is that it is very hard for them to get investors throwing money at them, as Tesla has. Tesla profit margins are around 30%., which is about what you get from a similar class of cars. This gives them to funds to build them.
  2. Tesla is a premium car. It's price are high and it's service maintenance cost is at the same level as Audi's and Porsche. The company has the funds to maintain them
  3. Free charging service on select model, is not "free".. it is part of the price of the car when you buy it. Hence why the Model 3 doesn't have free charging service with them.

Beside that:

1. The reality of things is that you don't really need them. Ignoring the fact that more and more cities establishes charging stations themselves, same for shopping malls. Your car, every morning is fully charged.
  2. Typically, when you'll drive back home after work (and get the kids and buy stuff on the way) you still have plenty of battery left, despite not charging it work on a modern fully electric car. The concern that many have is "What if I want to go on  trip?" they want mileage. The issue with this, is that you'll buy a car, with massive, heavy battery, which you essentially carry around with you, just for 1-2 days a year, essentially (for most people), which at this point, might as well just rent a car for such occasion.
  3. Measuring what you really need, plus extra to cover battery wear, and that odd day that is not a trip, you can purchase an electric vehicle that fits your needs reduce cost (also reduces the environment footprint... smaller the battery, the more green your car is. Manufacturing an electric car is creating a lot of pollution. So the better optimized your car is for you, and the longer you keep your car, the better it is). It is like a computer. Sure you can purchase a $6,000 computer for "your grandma" for her to occasional check her e-mail... but a 500$ one will do just fine, and probably not notice a thing at the end of the day, especially if the budget allow to slip an entry level SSD, if you get what I mean.