Hey all,

So I plan on upgrading my current build with a new motherboard and CPU but I'm stuck on what motherboard I should get. Current build is a Asus Strix B350-F motherboard, Ryzen 1700, and 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz memory. I am going to get the R7 3700x and I'd like to overclock my CPU and memory using PBO and manually on the memory. The B350 board I have now is trash. It's startup time (from task manager) is close to 20 seconds now and my memory is so unstable when overclocked I have it stock now. The board's I'm looking at are:

Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite ATX

Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro Wifi ATX

Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming ATX

The reason I've narrowed it down to these three is 1. Price 2. From previous experience (building for others) I really enjoy gigabytes bios gui, stability, and looks. So out of these does anyone have experience overclocking with them or does someone know where to find VRM thermal testing for these boards? Hardware unboxed is making me more aware of the actual motherboard qualities that exist. Thanks for looking and any advice!

Since your planning on overclocking, I would go with the X470. Keep in mind that Ryzen doesn't overclock very well, so don't expect to get intel levels of OC headroom.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

7 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

Since your planning on overclocking, I would go with the X470. Keep in mind that Ryzen doesn't overclock very well, so don't expect to get intel levels of OC headroom.

Oh for sure. I was planning on letting the PBO and ACI? do the overclocking. It's mostly the memory I want a new board for. This Asus board has been nothing but trouble. My issue with going for the X470 is I've heard some more expensive B450 boards have better VRM solutions than cheaper x470 boards. The X470 board here is only $5-10 more expensive than the B450 boards. Any thoughts?

48 minutes ago, Theburninbeaver said:

Oh for sure. I was planning on letting the PBO and ACI? do the overclocking. It's mostly the memory I want a new board for. This Asus board has been nothing but trouble. My issue with going for the X470 is I've heard some more expensive B450 boards have better VRM solutions than cheaper x470 boards. The X470 board here is only $5-10 more expensive than the B450 boards. Any thoughts?

The B450 Aorus Pro has the same VRM as the X470 Aorus Ultra. The X470 would probably have more overclocking features to mess around with compared to a B450. But if all you care about is how strong the VRM is, get the B450 Aorus Pro.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Just now, Fakmykak said:

The B450 Aorus Pro has the same VRM as the X470 Aorus Ultra. The X470 would probably have more overclocking features to mess around with compared to a B450. But if all you care about is how strong the VRM is, get the B450 Aorus Pro.

Awesome, thank you! 

3 hours ago, Theburninbeaver said:

If you have the budget, x470 taichi non ultimate has very good vrm and post code led. Its rhe mobo i have my 3900x in

Rock On!