Is this safe?

Hi

Something I would like a second opinion on please. I purchased a license for MS Office online, it was a digital copy from a recognised online retailer. However, I think it was from a 3rd party seller on their rather than themselves.

Soon after purchasing they sent me the licence code and I have a link from where to download the software. It is on the MS website, however, it seems to use their 'ODT' (office deployment tool service) - see more here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool 

Notice it says "The Office Deployment Tool (ODT) is a command-line tool that you can use to download and deploy Office 365 ProPlus to your client computers. The ODT gives you more control over an Office installation"

That seems like it is something for companies to control the software for their staff? Is this legit or should I be worried? - specifically, might this give the seller access to my PC etc?

It just seemed odd.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

can't you just use the license code? i wouldnt touch the other thingy

edit: nvm it seems to be actually a microsoft thing https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

I tried to use the 'regular' microsoft download page but, although it recognised the licence code it seems that it is for a 'business' (pro) licence hence why I think they told me to use the ODT service. I didn't realise pro actually meant business use, I just thought it had more funtions etc.

When you read this it almost reads like they can control your computer?....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

5 minutes ago, TYRon said:

I tried to use the 'regular' microsoft download page but, although it recognised the licence code it seems that it is for a 'business' (pro) licence hence why I think they told me to use the ODT service. I didn't realise pro actually meant business use, I just thought it had more funtions etc.

When you read this it almost reads like they can control your computer?....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

yeah idk seems a bit sketchy i would just stick with google drive Kappa

33 minutes ago, TYRon said:

Hi

Something I would like a second opinion on please. I purchased a license for MS Office online, it was a digital copy from a recognised online retailer. However, I think it was from a 3rd party seller on their rather than themselves.

Soon after purchasing they sent me the licence code and I have a link from where to download the software. It is on the MS website, however, it seems to use their 'ODT' (office deployment tool service) - see more here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool 

Notice it says "The Office Deployment Tool (ODT) is a command-line tool that you can use to download and deploy Office 365 ProPlus to your client computers. The ODT gives you more control over an Office installation"

That seems like it is something for companies to control the software for their staff? Is this legit or should I be worried? - specifically, might this give the seller access to my PC etc?

It just seemed odd.

Thank you.

Also if I may add, has nothing to do with people gaining access to your box.  Its a app not a bot or spam or attack and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Also if I may add, has nothing to do with people gaining access to your box.  Its a app not a bot or spam or attack and what not.

Thanks, I paid a lot for it and want to make sure it is safe before downloading.

From what I have seen when preparing clients computers, with licenses from my country's Department of Education (schools here are eligible for discounts), you can try installing Office 2016 ProPlus (you can get the installer from Microsoft's servers via the AdGuard TechBench site (a spiritual successor to Microsoft TechBench) and using your license with the installer.

Or better yet, on the MyDigitalLife there are instructions for installing the UWP packages (the apps themselves are not UWP), and activating them is the same as using the standard Office 2016 ProPlus installation.

I recommend the UWP route (only possible on Windows 10), since you have more control over what is installed (the standard installation puts placeholders for what you chose not to install, thus Windows Update installs updates for things that are not installed), without sacrificing the ability to install the apps that you did not initially install, and at the same time, taking up less space on the hard drive (and no unnecessary services running in the background), updates arrive more quickly (via the Microsoft Store), without requiring reboots (some MS Office updates via Windows Update require reboots), and uninstallations are quicker and easier as well.

1 minute ago, moriel5 said:

From what I have seen when preparing clients computers, with licenses from my country's Department of Education (schools here are eligible for discounts), you can try installing Office 2016 ProPlus (you can get the installer from Microsoft's servers via the AdGuard TechBench site (a spiritual successor to Microsoft TechBench) and using your license with the installer.

Or better yet, on the MyDigitalLife there are instructions for installing the UWP packages (the apps themselves are not UWP), and activating them is the same as using the standard Office 2016 ProPlus installation.

I recommend the UWP route (only possible on Windows 10), since you have more control over what is installed (the standard installation puts placeholders for what you chose not to install, thus Windows Update installs updates for things that are not installed), without sacrificing the ability to install the apps that you did not initially install, and at the same time, taking up less space on the hard drive (and no unnecessary services running in the background), updates arrive more quickly (via the Microsoft Store), without requiring reboots (some MS Office updates via Windows Update require reboots), and uninstallations are quicker and easier as well.

Nice post moriel5 .... yeah hes good to go.  Just a little paranoia and what not lol.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Nice post moriel5 .... yeah hes good to go.  Just a little paranoia and what not lol.

True, I had a problem in the past with a virus on my PC and it has certainly made me more paranoid / careful!

15 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

Thank you. Do you have a link / instructions for that please? 

I must confess I do not fully understand what UWP is but if it is straightforward and trustworthy, I'll happily try.

4 minutes ago, TYRon said:

True, I had a problem in the past with a virus on my PC and it has certainly made me more paranoid / careful!

Well my friend that is not a bad thing.  We are all guilty pretty much, so your not the only one that is stressing and paranoid and careful, a lot of LTT are same as you.   But in this instance your safe and good to go.  :)

2 hours ago, moriel5 said:

After looking on the MS website, I noticed there was the option to use the "Office offline installer", is that OK to use?

50 minutes ago, TYRon said:

After looking on the MS website, I noticed there was the option to use the "Office offline installer", is that OK to use?

That should be alright, however i still recommend going the UWP way, since it is a lot cleaner in the long run.

21 hours ago, moriel5 said:

That should be alright, however i still recommend going the UWP way, since it is a lot cleaner in the long run.

Do you know of a guide on how to do this please?

22 hours ago, moriel5 said:

Does it mean from the MS app store or am I getting confused?

• 8 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, TYRon said:

Does it mean from the MS app store or am I getting confused?

I'm sorry for not being online for so long, I haven't had the time to log in.

There is a guide on MyDigitalLife, thought it basically boils down to this:

1. Manually download the .appxbundle files via AdGuard's Store downloader website (here) (it simulates accessing it from the Microsoft Store, so the links created are the same) using the FamilyID (0e639757-dc24-4e5b-9b33-226f71dcd952). Note: You may need to rename the file to include a .appx or .appxbundle extension (either will do), since the file is supposed to be streamed to the Store, where it knows what to do without caring for the extension).

2. Manually install the files with Microsoft's App Installer (just open the files, they will be automatically recognized).

3. When connected to the internet (for some odd reason UWP apps fail to launch until you launch them at least once while connected to the internet), just log into your Microsoft account (if the license is associated with it, like in the education and some businesses) or select to use your license key (if not associated with any Microsoft accounts) and activate the Office Suite that way (you may need to do this multiple times, once for each app, though for me it has worked by only doing this once).