MicroCenter forgot thermal paste

A few days ago I picked up an openbox Powerspec G433 PC at Microcenter.

It's a 9700kf with a zotac 2080 I grabbed for 975 Dollars, so I left feeling pretty happy. 

Over the last few days i've been slowly transferring files and games from my old computer when I decided to run Cinebench.

I left HW monitor on and in a few seconds the cores shot up to 115c. I immediately turned it off and decided to pop off the cpu heatsink.

To my amazement not a spec of any thermal compound. Just bare shiny metal which i'm guessing is why it was returned in the first place (inserting pictures for reference)

I called microcenter and was told to just bring it in for them to apply compound and they will "test" to see if the cpu is damaged.

My questions are:

-how much damage could have been caused (pc never shut down or blue screened) 

-should i trust these idiots in the first place

-is there really a "test" to see if a cpu is damaged

It's a bit of a hard situation because the system was a steal so I dont wanna rage too hard but this seems like a pretty massive screwup.

20190804_155924.jpg

20190804_155842.jpg

17 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Tj Max for that CPU is 105°C. Looks like you went way beyond that. Therefore, I wouldn't accept anything less than a replacement, in addition to them adding TIM. 

Way beyond, im surprised the system didn't just shut down to protect itself. May I ask, what is TIM? 

Usually the CPU will thermal throttle to keep temperatures at 105*C and below...

"Test" as run some stress tests, and make sure it is not crashing / spitting out errors / CPU + motherboard is behaving normally when under load, etc.

TIM = Thermal Interface Material = Thermal Paste / Thermal Pad, etc.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

19 minutes ago, Ty811 said:

Way beyond, im surprised the system didn't just shut down to protect itself. May I ask, what is TIM? 

It should start throttling @ 100°C. Though, my issue is, that you have been using it without thermal paste unknowingly for the past couple of days, and it probably hit temps of at least 85°C; which is generally not recommended. It usually throttles beforehand, and it will shut down in extreme cases where throttling down fast enough is not an option.

Regardless, the silicon won't ever be the same. Which is why, IMO, even if it passes whatever benchmarks or tests they run it through. The chip is still not going to be ideal, as it would be if they did apply TIM. Why I'm suggesting asking for a replacement (since them not using thermal paste was their fault).  

And as stated already, TIM = Thermal Interface Material (Thermal Paste). 

in the old days before thermal throttling you would see smoke and literally the cpu would be cooked.

record serial number and make sure they actually replace processor with a new one when you get system returned.

ask for the retail box or a picture of the processor with serial number before the processor is installed with the serial number visible. i wouldnt trust them after this.

25 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

in the old days before thermal throttling you would see smoke and literally the cpu would be cooked.

record serial number and make sure they actually replace processor with a new one when you get system returned.

ask for the retail box or a picture of the processor with serial number before the processor is installed with the serial number visible. i wouldnt trust them after this.

Great idea. I don't either.

When i called the store the tech on the phone didn't even sound amazed. As if these kind of things happen often. 

1 minute ago, Ty811 said:

When i called the store the tech on the phone didn't even sound amazed. As if these kind of things happen often. 

Unfortunately, the people generally hired at many of these places, most likely shouldn't be:

I'm not saying every single Micro Center, Fry's, and Best Buy will be absolutely terrible, but I wouldn't discount incidents like this happening time and again.

i don't think the cpu was damaged because you caught it early enough. If you ran this for an extended period of time under load, the computer would have shut off.

I'm still shaking my head at this though...sooooo careless on their part.

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

Ok for one, I am not entirely sure the powerspec prebuilts are actually built in store, or by microcenter at all honestly. It is probably some other company building them and microcenter buys them or pays them to do it. So before you call the people working at your local store "idiots" I would make sure they had anything to do with it, most likely not. If you don't trust them, do it yourself, its pretty easy.

You bought an open box, I would check what kind of waranty you get with that. They may not want to replace it out right, then again if you push maybe they will. Just tell them you don't trust it and you are worried you will have problem later on down the road.

Personally I think it will be fine and I doubt it hurt anything. You say it never shut off so maybe whatever you are using to monitor the temps isn't accurate, most of them are not. Maybe it didn't get as hot as you think it did Man your fan must have been screaming though!

I would let them fix it and test it, and maybe see if they will give you an extended waranty for your trouble.

I can assure you this isn't the first computer to be ran without thermal paste.

Or if your not happy with any of the options they offer you just get your money back I guess.

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

I'm not saying every single Micro Center, Fry's, and Best Buy will be absolutely terrible, but I wouldn't discount incidents like this happening time and again.

I watch that video a while ago. In best buys defense they didn't charge him for looking at, explained to him about how to rma it and didn't try to sell him a new video card and chage to install it. If that had charged him to diagnose it then yes I think they should have looked around a bit better, tested the card in another machine and maybe probed a few wires. However they didn't charge him, they just took a quick look at it. Being he didn't buy it from best buy the probably didn't even have to bother looking at it. I didn't think they just fixed any random computer you brought in off the street?

15 minutes ago, paulmohr said:

Ok for one, I am not entirely sure the powerspec prebuilts are actually built in store, or by microcenter at all honestly. It is probably some other company building them and microcenter buys them or pays them to do it. So before you call the people working at your local store "idiots" I would make sure they had anything to do with it, most likely not. If you don't trust them, do it yourself, its pretty easy.

I had thermal paste already in my hand but decided it was better for them to apply it and have documentation for the future.  

I would take back the idiot comment. But, this was an open box return. Microcenter may not have built the machine 

but they accepted the return which must have had issues and either threw it back on the shelf or had a tech do the very minimum.

So yes "they" had some point had a part to play in this and could have really screwed someone over who didn't have a minimum of computer knowledge.

Open box items get the same 15 day return window and manufacturer warranty. I believe there may be a restocking fee if it isn't defective. 

40 minutes ago, paulmohr said:

I didn't think they just fixed any random computer you brought in off the street?

That's basically the point of the "Geek Squad," to take care of all your electronic device and computer-related needs. Both with diagnosing problems and repairs. 

But in case your wondering, Greg elaborated on the whole scenario in the YT comments section:

A few of you seem to think we "agreed" to a 10-minute, free diagnosis. This was not the case. We would have given them the time and money they asked for. Kyle literally had my business debit card in his pocket. Instead, Geek Squad took the system back, rushed to misdiagnose it, and sent us on our way. They never offered to keep it longer and take a closer look.

If you ask me, I think this changes the position of giving them the benefit of the doubt a no-go; but to each his own.  

I thought the point behind the geek squad was to offer support for products they sold, not be a random repair shop for anythng that comes in off the street. I am going to guess that is their internal policy at least. Its there to increase their sales. They didn't do it to make money as an electronics repair shop I am sure. I bet if that was a computer someone bought from best buy, or even the parts they might have tried harder. Does that make it right? No, not really, but I am guessing that is how it went down. They could have just refused to look at it at all.

I am curious to see what happens when they take it to a smaller shop.

30 minutes ago, Ty811 said:

I would take back the idiot comment. But, this was an open box return. Microcenter may not have built the machine 

but they accepted the return which must have had issues and either threw it back on the shelf or had a tech do the very minimum.

So yes "they" had some point had a part to play in this and could have really screwed someone over who didn't have a minimum of computer knowledge.

Unfortunately this is the case with just about every store. It should get RMA'd but often times they just stick it back on a shelf and re sell it. Kind of shocked they would do that. However brought it back probably said they didn't use it or something. If it was even sold, not all open box items are returned items. You are right though, if it was returned they should have checked it before selling it to you I guess.

Tell them what you just said and see how they respond I guess. I am curious to see how it works out.

This isn't the one in michigan was it?

No Chicago. We actually have two in the area. 

I've happily used them for years and hope this is just a small blip. I'll update after i visit tomorrow.

2 hours ago, paulmohr said:

I thought the point behind the geek squad was to offer support for products they sold, not be a random repair shop for anythng that comes in off the street. I am going to guess that is their internal policy at least. Its there to increase their sales. They didn't do it to make money as an electronics repair shop I am sure. I bet if that was a computer someone bought from best buy, or even the parts they might have tried harder. Does that make it right? No, not really, but I am guessing that is how it went down. They could have just refused to look at it at all.

I am curious to see what happens when they take it to a smaller shop.

The Geek Squad offers support services both to products that Best Buy sells, as well as products that they don't. Their tech support offerings are actually quite extensive: as they provide in-store, on-site, as well as over the Internet support. Even twenty-four-hour phone support, or last-minute emergency support.

As far as what would happen if you were to take it to a smaller shop. Most likely, they would give it more time and attention (Probably asking to keep it overnight at minimum), to zero in on the problem (And for obvious reasons, mainly being, mom-and-pop establishments are becoming uncommon these days. Therefore, providing a connection with the customer and a unique personal experience is ever important - essentially their bread and butter).

Took the desktop in and the tech today were much better and more sympathetic.

They're just gonna replace the cpu with a 9700k. Didn't have to push at all.

Aside from the cost in time and gas I can't really complain too much. 

CPU is fine. Soldered cpu's hit 157c for a little bit to get the Indium to flow. So I'm pretty sure your good. Years ago I had a 6700k. I swapped blocks and managed to bend 2 pins in the socket.  I saw this because my cpu was at 130c lol.  So I ended up bending the pins back and it worked fine after. That happened 3 years ago and the cpu and same mobo to this day are still running 4.4ghz. but I did give it to my friend for free after as I no longer trusted the cpu.

Im glad microcenter did the right thing. And I would prefer the k over the kf because I had to go back to onboard a few times to trouble shoot problems. I wish Ryzen had this but I just keep a cheap gpu on hand for that.  I definitely would of demanded a new CPU because I'm sure it's fine you will also have that thought in your mind and any blue screen on it you will now have to ask if that could be related. 

I hope your 9700k clocks good. I always had very good luck getting cpu's from Microcenter.