Opinion on Prebuilt system

itsaero
1 minute ago, itsaero said:

Happy to hear you've had a smooth experience with them, unlike myself. When was the last time you dealt with them?

less than a year ago

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

less than a year ago

Hmm, interesting. Maybe they aren't experienced in building higher end machines?

2 minutes ago, itsaero said:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe they aren't experienced in building higher end machines?

It's because of the extra pointless stuff tacked on to expensive systems perhaps.

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

there is no way in hell that fittings and labour/warranty for a machine like that will be $1000

Out of curiosity, what is the accepted labor markup for custom hardline LC? 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

extra pointless stuff tacked

Custom LC is not pointless.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, Lathlaer said:

Custom LC is not pointless.

It is. Other than looking good, it serves no practical purpose. Cooling performance is the same or worse than a normal aio, it has a much much higher chance of failure and you have nobody to turn to int the case of a leak.

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Cooling performance is the same or worse than a normal aio

What? This is objectively untrue if you build a proper custom LC system.

That system here has a 360+240 RAD space and a dedicated res/pump combo, I'd like to see AIO reaching it's cooling performance.

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

What? This is objectively untrue if you build a proper custom LC system.

That system here has a 360+240 RAD space and a dedicated res/pump combo, I'd like to see AIO reaching it's cooling performance.

It will be a se you can't drop much under the thermal transfer rate of the metal. Even if you put in a 720mm rad, you're still limited by your blocks performance and thermal paste.

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It is. Other than looking good, it serves no practical purpose. Cooling performance is the same or worse than a normal aio, it has a much much higher chance of failure and you have nobody to turn to int the case of a leak.

BRUH! NOPE!

its better than a AIO for sure + you can do it much more silent. And you're right about looks. I run custom loops since 5yrs or so and they DO perform MUCH better than a AOI lol. But that comes at a $$$. In general AIOs are NOT worth it (besides looks and being able to brag about "water cooling"). A decent D15 or Dark rock Pro will perform on pair or even better for less money AND will hold up much longer (no water evaporations and lesser moving parts)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

14 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It will be a se you can't drop much under the thermal transfer rate of the metal. Even if you put in a 720mm rad, you're still limited by your blocks performance and thermal paste.

That is correct. But still you can dissapate much more with a custom loop. Hence the blocks are better and you can get more area. Main reason for me is silence. Also pump reliability and power is better (ok depending on your pump but for a decent custom loop I assume a D5 or an Eheim)

I am folding on 3 GPUS and its super silent :) 

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

That is correct. But still you can dissapate much more with a custom loop. Hence the blocks are better and you can get more area. Main reason for me is silence. Also pump reliability and power is better (ok depending on your pump but for a decent custom loop I assume a D5 or an Eheim)

I am folding on 3 GPUS and its super silent :) 

The most reliable option is air cooling ;)

BUt a 360mm AIO or custom loop - the difference is non-existent. And Corsair and other aio vendors cover your hardware in the event of a leak or failure within warranty.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

BUt a 360mm AIO or custom loop - the difference is non-existent. And Corsair and other aio vendors cover your hardware in the event of a leak or failure within warranty.

About air you're right, but that's of topic!

Also warranty is right, but with good custom parts you get longer warranties and dont have to use them. And also a 360 AIO will still underperform a decent custom loop with 360mm. And also my CL has more rad space than this. And many do

9 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The most reliable option is your ability. If you think you can't assemble it, use air.

15 hours ago, itsaero said:

The most reliable option is your ability. If you think you can't assemble it, use air.

der8auer can OC to 5 ghz using a Noctua air cooler. What do you need customs loops for other than looks. Also makes trouble shooting and cleaning a hassel since you need to drain and disassemble parts if you want to take something out.

2 hours ago, celerystruct said:

der8auer can OC to 5 ghz using a Noctua air cooler. What do you need customs loops for other than looks. Also makes trouble shooting and cleaning a hassel since you need to drain and disassemble parts if you want to take something out.

Sure, but still custom water can be more silent. I gues Romans noctua was running full tilt. That’s not super loud but audible

i want my system to be OC and bearly audible 

20 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Sure, but still custom water can be more silent. I gues Romans noctua was running full tilt. That’s not super loud but audible

i want my system to be OC and bearly audible 

But it requires more money and time to set up. Noctua fans are pretty quiet and is op really going to notice the difference between how quiet the noctua cooler is vs. the CL when he's playing games?