PC freezes at first time booting.

Go to solution Solved by x047x,

This sounds surprisingly similar to a problem I just worked through.  Post your hardware list, is your BIOS up to date?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1081493-new-build-hangs-within-1-3-minutes-of-power-on/

I just build my first PC (yay). and the PC works... Sorta. It goes too bios and shows stuff works but as soon as I leave my bios or try's to boot the SSD it freezes while showing the gigabyte logo. But as soon as I boot the USB with Windows on it it still freezes. Did I break something? I'm kinda afraid I broke my hardware.

IMG-20190802-WA0039.jpeg

1 minute ago, x047x said:

This sounds surprisingly similar to a problem I just worked through.  Post your hardware list, is your BIOS up to date?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1081493-new-build-hangs-within-1-3-minutes-of-power-on/

My hardware:

Motherboard:  Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K

GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 2080 Super Ventus OC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB

PSU: EVGA G3 850

No i have not updated my bios, the first thing i did when i saw the bios is to run my USB with the windows installer on it.

Could it be that i just have to update it?

That's what it was for me.  I spent a month swapping and returning hardware and it ended up being an outdated BIOS which took 5 minutes to update.

Just for fun, look through your BIOS settings (maybe in your overclocking settings). Search for a setting called Intel C-state and disable it (temporarily).  If you're lucky, you may boot just fine.  If it does, you'll want to update your BIOS (well you definitely want to anyway since that's such a new chip).  Once updated, turn c-state back on or to auto and try booting again.  Also, look for the CPU microcode in the BIOS.  Mine showed "N/A" even though the BIOS detected the CPU.  This was a red flag.

44 minutes ago, x047x said:

That's what it was for me.  I spent a month swapping and returning hardware and it ended up being an outdated BIOS which took 5 minutes to update.

Just for fun, look through your BIOS settings (maybe in your overclocking settings). Search for a setting called Intel C-state and disable it (temporarily).  If you're lucky, you may boot just fine.  If it does, you'll want to update your BIOS (well you definitely want to anyway since that's such a new chip).  Once updated, turn c-state back on or to auto and try booting again.  Also, look for the CPU microcode in the BIOS.  Mine showed "N/A" even though the BIOS detected the CPU.  This was a red flag.

I'll see if I can get it to boot. One question that's not related to this but you might know. The CPU connector on my motherboard has a 8 pin and a 3 pin. Should I also use the 3 pin?

Oh, for sure.  If you missed those connectors that could certainly cause issues since they primarily power the CPU.  Plug them in and try.

53 minutes ago, x047x said:

Oh, for sure.  If you missed those connectors that could certainly cause issues since they primarily power the CPU.  Plug them in and try.

I'll go do that, thanks!

You bet, I'll be interested to see if that's the issue!

On 8/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, x047x said:

How can I update the bios drivers without having Windows on it?

On 8/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, x047x said:

Hey there, you where right. The moment I updated the BIOS it worked. Thanks for your help!

Great to hear, good job!  And It sounds like you figured it out, but you can use another computer to get the BIOS files on a flash drive.

23 hours ago, x047x said:

Great to hear, good job!  And It sounds like you figured it out, but you can use another computer to get the BIOS files on a flash drive.

Yes i saw that but the Qflash option did just fine. Thanks a lot for your help, without it i would still be clueless.