Using own Router with Bell Internet

DanTheMuffinMan

Hey guys,

So we currently have shitty bell internet here and it comes with the typical shitty bell wireless router. I wanted to know is there anyway I could go out and buy my own good router (and WAP) and replace the Bell one?

I'm thinking that they have it set up to to only work with their own routers, but if anyone knows for sure I'd love to hear it.

Bell Canada in Ontario with dynamic IP addressing btw. The router calls itself "Connection Hub". Let me know if you need to know anything else.

3270091476.png

Thanks in advance.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Hey guys,

So we currently have shitty bell internet here and it comes with the typical shitty bell wireless router. I wanted to know is there anyway I could go out and buy my own good router (and WAP) and replace the Bell one?

I'm thinking that they have it set up to to only work with their own routers, but if anyone knows for sure I'd love to hear it.

Bell Canada in Ontario with dynamic IP addressing btw. The router calls itself "Connection Hub". Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Hey,

I'm not sure if it is different in Canada. But here in the UK, when you use your own Router, you log into your router and type in your account email address you have registered with the ISP and use the password they provide for you.

I would imagine the same principle will apply for you, but maybe someone else can verify this for me.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Hey,

I'm not sure if it is different in Canada. But here in the UK, when you use your own Router, you log into your router and type in your account email address you have registered with the ISP and use the password they provide for you.

I would imagine the same principle will apply for you, but maybe someone else can verify this for me.

Elven

I have never had something like that in the us it's plug n play for me

I have never had something like that in the us it's plug n play for me 

Yeah, it's plug'n'play for us, too. When you use the default router that the ISP uses  :D  With third-party routers, sometimes you gotta put that in so the ISP can grant you access to your internet access.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Everytime I used my own router it was plug in the ISP router. So MY router was getting internet from the ISP router and it was doing the DHCP, port fowarding and stuff... Never done it straight from the wall. Anyway, how could you ? What's coming from the wall ? Coax, RJ11 (phone plug) ? 

Everytime I used my own router it was plug in the ISP router. So MY router was getting internet from the ISP router and it was doing the DHCP, port fowarding and stuff... Never done it straight from the wall. Anyway, how could you ? What's coming from the wall ? Coax, RJ11 (phone plug) ?

You have to have a modem or modem/router combo to provide the internet, a pure router cannot do that.

@OP you buy the router, login to the admin panel, and input your account details. Simple as that.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

D/P, whoops.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

You have to have a modem or modem/router combo to provide the internet, a pure router cannot do that.

@OP you buy the router, login to the admin panel, and input your account details. Simple as that.

Really? Can anyone verify that? I would be getting something like this: Asus RT-AC66U

The only thing I've heard of people using for bell is plugging their own router into the bell router, sort of turning the bell router into a modem, but what I really want is to go straight from the wall to my own router...

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

What for ? It's not like you would get wayyy better speed with another modem, if any better at all... Just wire the thing to your own router if you want better coverage/features but that's pretty much it.

We're talking DSL ? Maybe an ADSL2+ router would work on their network. Not sure though...

Really? Can anyone verify that? I would be getting something like this: Asus RT-AC66U

The only thing I've heard of people using for bell is plugging their own router into the bell router, sort of turning the bell router into a modem, but what I really want is to go straight from the wall to my own router...

That ASUS model is just a router, you'd have to use the Bell modem still to provide the internet. Find a modem/router combo if you want both.