Hi there, 

firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to look at this thread(I think that's what people call it).

I'm a pure noob in pc building, and I am asking for guidance on how to build a pc, also upgrading a laptop. 

I'm not sure where I should start since there are mountains of information online.

Please tell me what type of things I should know when building a PC,

Thank you,

and I am looking forward to your replies,

-DS

Well, what are you looking for? What type of PC do you want to build? 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, Dan_Shingo said:

Hi there, 

firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to look at this thread(I think that's what people call it).

I'm a pure noob in pc building, and I am asking for guidance on how to build a pc, also upgrading a laptop. 

I'm not sure where I should start since there are mountains of information online.

Please tell me what type of things I should know when building a PC,

Thank you,

and I am looking forward to your replies,

-DS

Always start with a budget. Then, find a monitor with a gpu that can drive it. These shoudl be 40-65% of the budget depending on how much you are spending. After that, find a cpu/ram/mobo/cpu cooler combination (you should have about 75-90% of the budget used the rest can go toward storage, case, case fans (if your case doesn't come with them), rgb (optional), and peripherals. Don't forget about games if you don't have them already, as well.

Assuming you're a complete beginner, I highly recommend watching some in-depth, uncut build guides before you begin your adventure. Watching these guides will give you a helpful image on how to construct a PC and what components go where.

As for upgrading a laptop, it depends what model of laptop you have. Easiest way to get to know if you can upgrade your laptop is either watch a video on your particular model and seeing what parts can be upgraded, looking at the manufacturer's website and seeing if they list it as upgradable, or opening up your laptop yourself and identifying if any parts can be upgraded in any way, typically the memory in SODIMM form and the storage whether that be M.2 or 2.5" form factor, will be the easiest to upgrade, provided your laptop model can do it.

Good luck on your PC building journey! :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

17 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

Well, what are you looking for? What type of PC do you want to build? 

An all-rounded PC, one that can be used as entertainment (watching vids and gaming) and also work stuff would be ideal.

53 minutes ago, Dan_Shingo said:

An all-rounded PC, one that can be used as entertainment (watching vids and gaming) and also work stuff would be ideal.

Well what kinda games and what kinda work do you do? How pretty you want your games to work, how much is your budget?

On 8/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, adman29 said:

Well what kinda games and what kinda work do you do? How pretty you want your games to work, how much is your budget?

Something that can run games like the Ezio assassin's creed trilogy, tomb raider, and the typical Moba (like Dota 2 and Lol), not super high-end graphics, maybe like mid-range.

the budget would be $300, and also I'm thinking of trying to make it upgradable for the future. I'm an upcoming broke college student, so you know how it goes. (also, looking at Yt vids, not sure if it's possible to get something like that for $300 unless I slowly build up savings just for pc building, and of course, finding parts on craigslist).

On 8/2/2019 at 7:09 PM, Dan_Shingo said:

Something that can run games like the Ezio assassin's creed trilogy, tomb raider, and the typical Moba (like Dota 2 and Lol), not super high-end graphics, maybe like mid-range.

the budget would be $300, and also I'm thinking of trying to make it upgradable for the future. I'm an upcoming broke college student, so you know how it goes. (also, looking at Yt vids, not sure if it's possible to get something like that for $300 unless I slowly build up savings just for pc building, and of course, finding parts on craigslist).

Craigslist is probably your best bet; that or FB Marketplace. You're going to want something with one of the Ryzen G processors, or with an older gfx card.