disabling ram

is it possible for windows to disable parts of ram? eg: laptop has 32gb of ram but I only need 16gb. 

I want to disable it to save battery life. 

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

is it possible for windows to disable parts of ram? eg: laptop has 32gb of ram but I only need 16gb. 

I want to disable it to save battery life. 

Its not really gonne save u alot of power cause u cant fully disable it if u really dont want more then 16 just open the back and take 2 8gb sticks out u could even sell them for some cash :D 

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

Its not really gonne save u alot of power cause u cant fully disable it if u really dont want more then 16 just open the back and take 2 8gb sticks out u could even sell them for some cash :D 

the 32gb is a 16x2 config. 

I would prefer the 16gb to be in dual channel which is why I was asking. 

Just now, Saksham said:

Thats not possible as far as i know sry maybe sell the 2 16 gb ones and get 2 8 gb sticks but all that for like 20 min more runtime i dont know :D 

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

Oh i am sry my brain is lagging if u have 2 16 gb sticks having 2 8 does not really save power i am so sry hahaha 

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

all that for like 20 min more runtime

that is pretty good. that is a solid ~5% improvement for reducing the ram that I dont need

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Oh i am sry my brain is lagging if u have 2 16 gb sticks having 2 8 does not really save power i am so sry hahaha 

wait really? there would be less nand modules so wouldnt it save power? less nand to refresh

Just now, Saksham said:

wait really? there would be less nand modules so wouldnt it save power? less nand to refresh

Ram is not that power hungry 1 stick does eat up like 2/4 watt i cant imagin there would be alot power saving from going 2x 16 to 2x8 cause u still have to power 2 sticks but u never know i could be wrong 

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

that is pretty good. that is a solid ~5% improvement for reducing the ram that I dont need

that is a very optimistic reduction

it wont be that good

if you really want to save power always keep the brightness as low as you can work with, move to a ssd if not done already and be agressive with the cpu usage, apply a a rule where cpu is always on powersave

a ram module doesnt even represent 2% of the entire laptop power consumption

It's quite unlikely it would give you that much more battery life. Ram takes very little power overall.

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

Not necessarily, it depends on what kind of chips are on the current ram sticks you got and what kind of chips would be on the new ones, but even if you have half the number of modules on a stick, that's not going to give you 20 extra minutes of battery life, it's more likely to be like a minute or two, if not less.