CPU Ratio or Bus Overclocking for Single Core Performance

I've got an FX 8350 which many of you know has terrible single core performance. I've heard from a couple videos that increasing the CPU ratio instead of the CPU Bus frequency will provide better single core overclocks. Something to do with increasing the individual core clocks rather than the entire CPU's clock speed.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? I've personally tried overclocking to the highest stable value using both methods but barely saw any difference in benchmarks.

i heard something similar, also that ram overclock matters alot

but to be honest, at this moment in time if you have such concerns perhaps is time to consider to move to something like a ryzen r3

not because it cant be done, but because it is a old platform that will make you invest many days trying to find the right spot where cpu works better, there is no data corruption and you are happy with results

5 minutes ago, ChintzyPC said:

I've got an FX 8350 which many of you know has terrible single core performance. I've heard from a couple videos that increasing the CPU ratio instead of the CPU Bus frequency will provide better single core overclocks. Something to do with increasing the individual core clocks rather than the entire CPU's clock speed.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? I've personally tried overclocking to the highest stable value using both methods but barely saw any difference in benchmarks.

U cant oc single cores u need to oc the hole chip ^^ and never ever use fsb/bus etc oc cause it ocs ur hole board and can dmg stuff if u have a open multy use that the diffrence u see in benchmarks is prob cause u oced the ram etc too with using bus/fsb  

3 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

U cant oc single cores u need to oc the hole chip ^^ and never ever use fsb/bus etc oc cause it ocs ur hole board and can dmg stuff if u have a open multy use that the diffrence u see in benchmarks is prob cause u oced the ram etc too with using bus/fsb  

I've got the NB pads replaced with Fujipoly 17W/mK and a big ass cooler blowing air everywhere. I'm pretty confident I won't fry anything with a bus OC.

And the ram actually has to be knocked down a few settings when OCing the bus since the 8350 and 970 board doesn't support ram frequencies higher than 1866Mhz (I've been able to do 1905Mhz). So I don't think the difference is in the ram, in fact it probably hurts it.

I'll also note all tests I do are completely stable results only, as in running Prime95 at small FFT's for several hours. Any error at all isn't stable. CPU diode doesn't go over 72*C.

1 minute ago, ChintzyPC said:

I've got the NB pads replaced with Fujipoly 17W/mK and a big ass cooler blowing air everywhere. I'm pretty confident I won't fry anything with a bus OC.

And the ram actually has to be knocked down a few settings when OCing the bus since the 8350 and 970 board doesn't support ram frequencies higher than 1866Mhz (I've been able to do 1905Mhz). So I don't think the difference is in the ram, in fact it probably hurts it.

I'll also note all tests I do are completely stable results only, as in running Prime95 at small FFT's for several hours. Any error at all isn't stable. CPU diode doesn't go over 72*C.

Well but at the end there is no real differenz at the End ur at the same cpu speed its math 200 x 10 = 2000 10x 200 is still 2000 so no matter what u do its not gonne be faster i hope u get what i mean  sadly the fx 8350 aged awful maybe u should really upgrade even a low end ryzen beats that fx chip in single core etc like really hard ^^

Mreh, I'll upgrade when I get a new job lmao. Besides, I'm thinking this theory could still be relevant to even newer chips not just an FX.

the bus should not be overclocked, that is the point, it affects all the parts, and you can end with damaged parts or data corruption

as i mentioned, is not about if you can, is the time abd effort that you put and how much you get from it, it wont be much afik

I dont recommend OCing the bus! It affects to much components and therefore introduces to much instability!

Always OC the multiplier and then try so tighten some RAM timings. This will help on FX, but beware the power consumption. I hope you have a nice cooler

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

I dont recommend OCing the bus! It affects to much components and therefore introduces to much instability!

Always OC the multiplier and then try so tighten some RAM timings. This will help on FX, but beware the power consumption. I hope you have a nice cooler

Coolermaster V8 GTS with Conductonaut and the die is lapped

3 minutes ago, ChintzyPC said:

Coolermaster V8 GTS with Conductonaut and the die is lapped

ok, nice! Then hit her hard :) 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂