3900x overheating when gaming/rendering

No actual crashes but CPU gets to 80-90C while gaming/rendering, current solution to drop temp down to 60-70C is a standing fan (used for when the weather is hot). while the case is open on one side (air blowing into it). When playing games like Fortnite I maintain high FPS but the game feels really bad and laggy despite this.

With the following build: 

(image in thread), running the case fans + prism RGB Cooler (came with CPU).

What kind of cooling should I get to prevent these high temperatures and bad feeling gameplay? Should I go with water cooling? Should I install another case fan? Should I get a better fan cooler? (I'm looking to overclock the 3900x for gaming in the future as well so would like my RIG t o be very cool (literally).

Thanks, Leon.

If you're seeing a massive drop with the side off and a fan blowing into the case, then the case could use better airflow. Don't know that case specifically, but more fans and/or higher airflow fans could help. Better cooler wont help unless you sort this out.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

You need to upgrade your cooling to a bigger air cooler or a large liquid cooler. You can also undervolt your cpu

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

I hit 88*C with Noctua NH-U12A on the 3900X stock while rendering. 

This CPU just gets hot.  Not really wort it to OC, its already runing almost maxed out by default. 

Just now, WereCat said:

I hit 88*C with Noctua NH-U12A on the 3900X stock while rendering. 

This CPU just gets hot.  Not really wort it to OC, its already runing almost maxed out by default. 

My gameplay feels worse when the temperatures are high though?

1 minute ago, LeonTheLobster said:

My gameplay feels worse when the temperatures are high though?

Is your CPU throttling? Do the clocks go down significantly? 

what kind of GPU are you using?

also why that ultra expensive case which now turns out to have extremely bad airflow, you need to get more cool air in from the front and get fans to blow the hot air out the back.

When an open case gives you better temps that means you dont have good enough case Ventilation.

4 minutes ago, LeonTheLobster said:

(image in thread), running the case fans + prism RGB Cooler (came with CPU).

Well that's your problem right there

jk ?  While it isn't dangerous to go a bit over 80°C, it would help to get a better cooler. You could try applying new thermal paste, in the past there have been issues where stock cooler has had too thick of a layer of the paste and it caused overheating but I suspect they're better now. But yes, I'd suggest getting a big air cooler if your case has at least two intake fans and one exhaust fan already.

My 3700X got to 84°C in Cinebench R20 under Noctua NH-D15, but my motherboard is putting out voltages like crazy and my case has terrible airflow.

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

what kind of GPU are you using?

also why that ultra expensive case which now turns out to have extremely bad airflow, you need to get more cool air in from the front and get fans to blow the hot air out the back.

When an open case gives you better temps that means you dont have good enough case Ventilation.

Open case with a room fan would make a difference in any case though.

... can I giggle at this pun?

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

My 3800x now and then pops over 80c running on an AIO but super rare.. CPU takes a long time to actually get to idle as well most times even with general web browsing its sitting around 60c.

I think these things just run hot.

I think with future bios updates things including voltages and with it temps will normalise. My 3700X hits around 71 degrees Celsius when running cinebench R20 on stock settings with an aggressive CPU and intake fan profile. I'm going to invest in a 240-280mm AIO soon but need to wait a bit until I can afford it.

I also seem to this "generous voltage" problem being present in previous Ryzen generations at launch. I guess AMD and the board manufacturers just need time to adjust everything to work optimally for consumers.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD