Games Crashing when Gpu spikes to 100%

Go to solution Solved by brianp1999,

The reason I think it isn't windows is because its been occurring for over a year on different versions of windows 10. This isn't my computer, I built it for a friend last year, initially there were no crashes but something must've happened along the way. Would a BIOS update help?

SOLVED BY BUYING GSKILL RAM. CORSAIR RAM DOES NOT PAIR WELL WITH RYZEN 1ST & 2ND GEN

I think this issue is caused by the GPU or power supply. When in games the graphics card drops to 0% and then immediately spikes to 100% causing the game to crash. The temps are fine and all drivers aside from BIOS are all latest versions. I started with a clean install of windows and nothing is overclocked.
Does anyone know what causes this or how to solve it.

Ive ran prime95 and kombuster for about an hour each an no issues. CSGO also ran fine, im having trouble with fortnite, rocket league, apex legends, sea of thives, etc. I've posted this on numerous subreddits to no avail
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar BIOS 1.F0
  • RAM: Corsair DDR4 2400Mhz 8Gb (one stick)
  • GPU: GTX 1050 2GB
  • Storage: 1tb seagate hdd
  • PSU: Cooler Master 600 Masterwatt lite
my apologies if this is on the wrong subcategory

5 minutes ago, brianp1999 said:

Reinstalling windows is usually the quickest solution to rule out hardware issues.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Reinstalling windows is usually the quickest solution to rule out hardware issues.

Yeah this is the 3rd fresh install of windows, I've ruled that out now. I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue?

1 minute ago, brianp1999 said:

Yeah this is the 3rd fresh install of windows, I've ruled that out now. I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue?

Then it might just be whatever version of windows you're on? If it ran the power virus software without an issue it's probably not the power supply.

You could try limiting your GPU's power to 50% and then run CS:GO.

Otherwise try running Ubuntu off of a USB and installing steam to see what happens when you eliminate windows.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The reason I think it isn't windows is because its been occurring for over a year on different versions of windows 10. This isn't my computer, I built it for a friend last year, initially there were no crashes but something must've happened along the way. Would a BIOS update help?

16 minutes ago, brianp1999 said:

I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue?

Yeah probably.... 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

55 minutes ago, brianp1999 said:
I think this issue is caused by the GPU or power supply. When in games the graphics card drops to 0% and then immediately spikes to 100% causing the game to crash. The temps are fine and all drivers aside from BIOS are all latest versions. I started with a clean install of windows and nothing is overclocked.
Does anyone know what causes this or how to solve it.

Ive ran prime95 and kombuster for about an hour each an no issues. CSGO also ran fine, im having trouble with fortnite, rocket league, apex legends, sea of thives, etc. I've posted this on numerous subreddits to no avail
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar BIOS 1.F0
  • RAM: Corsair DDR4 2400Mhz 8Gb (one stick)
  • GPU: GTX 1050 2GB
  • Storage: 1tb seagate hdd
  • PSU: Cooler Master 600 Masterwatt lite
my apologies if this is on the wrong subcategory

Does just the game crash and take you to the desktop or does the whole system crash entirely? Also, what kind of settings are you running these games at. I remember a similar thing happening with my GTX 970 Windforce if I cranked up my textures in Rainbow Six Siege too high. Is it possible you could monitor the GPU usage before the crash as well. You might just be pinned at 100%. 

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

59 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

Does just the game crash and take you to the desktop or does the whole system crash entirely? Also, what kind of settings are you running these games at. I remember a similar thing happening with my GTX 970 Windforce if I cranked up my textures in Rainbow Six Siege too high. Is it possible you could monitor the GPU usage before the crash as well. You might just be pinned at 100%. 

Takes me to desktop, 1080p low settings, vsync and motion blur off. I provided a screen shot of the GPU usage shown in task manager before crashing in fortnite. Its sitting at 80% then drops to 0 and then straight to 100 then crashed.

Since you are using a Seagate drive, download and install the Seatools for Windows to monitor its lifespan and also use the serial number to find any available update for your drive in the download finder:

1. Seagate Technology - Download Finder
  2. SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

Regarding your OS, you may be having issues with corrupted files, so uninstalling the video game with the problem is recommended and also run the following commands in the CMD:

1. CHKDSK
  2. sfc /scannow

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 7/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Since you are using a Seagate drive, download and install the Seatools for Windows to monitor its lifespan and also use the serial number to find any available update for your drive in the download finder:

1. Seagate Technology - Download Finder
  2. SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

Regarding your OS, you may be having issues with corrupted files, so uninstalling the video game with the problem is recommended and also run the following commands in the CMD:

1. CHKDSK
  2. sfc /scannow

Thanks for the advice but it turns out my motherboard doesnt get along with corsair memory, bought a kit of 2x8 gskill ripjaws and it solved my crashing

No problem! And I'm glad that you were finally able to fix the problem with your machine.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming