Almost every game crashes with Ryzen 5 3600 and msi B450M mobo

caseyjenkins
Go to solution Solved by caseyjenkins,

So after a few more tests it seems my ram is the issue. I swapped it with my friends T-Force delta rgb 3000mhz 1x8GB and had no issues. I'll go RMA my memory even though it doesn't seem to be defective, just isn't working with the earlier BIOS for 3rg gen Ryzen on my mobo.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong again, I switched my original ram into my other DIMM slot and it is working fine. Mobo must be faulty, will RMA.

My current set up is a 

Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler

RX 590 Sapphire Pulse

MSI B450M gaming plus mobo

1x8GB 3000mHz Patriot Viper memory

512 gb Sandisc SSD

Insignia™ - 550W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

I'm running Windows 10 64bit and it has the latest updates (1903 is think). GPU drivers are also up to date. The mobo has been updated to the most recent BIOS and it does support 3rd gen ryzen and it is not BETA. 

GPU and SSD worked with no issue with my old configuration but with the new CPU, mobo and ram I have all of my games (Fallout 4, Apex Legends, even streets of rogue crashed once and it's a non intensive 2D game) crash at seemingly random times. Sometimes they'll last 5 minutes, sometimes an hour or so but they always crash eventually. No errors appear, typically the PC doesn't even crash, just the game, but one time I had to reset the whole PC to get out of a black screen. One game, overwatch, has never crashed yet but that could just he chance. I tried running the windows memory checking software and it found no errors with the ram. 

Any ideas? Is my cooler not beefy enough? Or maybe still just instability issues with B450 mobos and 3rd gen ryzen? 

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

DDU the drivers.

I'll give this a try.

EDIT: I tried this, it caused me to get a BSOD at startup after reinstalling drivers so I just reinstalled windows. Currently updating drivers and reinstalling games to see if maybe a fresh install fixed things.

EDIT 2: Fallout 4 still crashes. This time in a bout 10 seconds. The problem does not seem to be fixed.

Hi,

I came here looking for guidance with almost the EXACT problem, with the same CPU + nearly the same mobo.

Ryzen 3600 on a MSI B450 Gaming Plus with 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz

Just got it in on friday. Windows boots fine, works fine while browsing etc. But when I fire up Path of Exile it crashes within seconds to a few minutes. 
I have an error mentioned in the Windows Event viewer after every crash, Exception code: 0xc0000005. Googling that means bad news: memory issues. 

I ran memtest86 overnight, and indeed it came up with a ton of errors.... 

So I have access to some other systems and tested my new Corsair 3200mhz in a Ryzen2600 system that used with Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz and swapped RAM for both systems. Turns out, I still have the same errors with the other ram in my new machine and no errors with the same ram the other machine, so its not the ram. 

Its the RAM controller on either the motherboard or the CPU but I don't know how to figure out which. 

The fact you're describing a nearly identical problem with the 3600 and a MSI motherboard made me sign up and post this here, I'd try running memtest86 overnight. See if that gets errors or not. 

Meanwhile, I'm hoping someone has some guidance on how to find out if I need to RMA my Mobo or CPU...

Ryzens have integrated memory controllers, there is no controller on the mobo. That said it can still be some other component on the mobo. As far as I can remember when ryzen launched it needed few bios updates before it started working fine with various memory kits. Maybe this is the case with 3000 series again?

I've just completed a full memtest86 test with the 3000mhz kit overnight, and it had NO errors. 

Yet PoE keeps crashing within minutes. No Exception code: 0xc0000005 in the Event Viewer, however. 

Still going to RMA my memory but... I'm a little bit stumped. I'm going to have to test some more games or memory stress tests... 
But its good to know that if it were the memory controller, its going to be just the CPU and not the mobo that would need to be RMA'd.  Thanks

So after a few more tests it seems my ram is the issue. I swapped it with my friends T-Force delta rgb 3000mhz 1x8GB and had no issues. I'll go RMA my memory even though it doesn't seem to be defective, just isn't working with the earlier BIOS for 3rg gen Ryzen on my mobo.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong again, I switched my original ram into my other DIMM slot and it is working fine. Mobo must be faulty, will RMA.