Urgent Help Required

Mr_Argon

Hi all.

So about 15 minutes ago I was quite happily playing World of Tanks on my computer (specs in signature), when suddenly my display freaked out, then went black, then showed "HDMI Power Saving Mode" (no HDMI input). I was still hearing in game sound, and I was still interacting with the game, but no display. Everything was plugged in properly. I then shut down my PC by holding down the power button, after which I turned it back on. There was one long beep, followed by two short beeps. I researched this on the Gigabyte website, this means "Graphics Card Problem". So I opened my case up, turned the PC off and on again, but this time it was one short beep which means "All is well". I then plugged in my monitor... nothing. Restarted again.... nothing. The GPU was lighting up and everything, just no display. I then used my integrated graphics, and it was fine. I've reset the BIOS, I've re-seated my GPU. What can I do next, or is my GPU dead?

Note: I overclocked my GPU to 1400MHz core and 2050MHz memory. I also increased it's power limit to max, but left the voltage at stock, with this configuration it's been running fine in all my stress tests and gaming over about 2 months.

Note2: It is an ex-mining card, but the card BIOS is reset to normal, and the card otherwise performs as normal. The motherboard BIOS is also the latest one (F15)

2 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

ex-mining card

There is your problem, those cards can fail at anytime. Mining Cards were put through the stress of high load for long periods of time

I wish I had a better answer but it sounds like the card just died.  It happens.

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

2 minutes ago, barondeau said:

There is your problem, those cards can fail at anytime. Mining Cards were put through the stress of high load for long periods of time

I was told by members of this forum and on other forums that it was fine. Yes, I know that not everyone is right, but I believe that a YouTuber did a test and found that it was no more stressful than running a game, although for mining its just longer times

It isn't the sprint that kills those cards it is the marathon of mining for weeks a time with no rest that does damage to them and shortens there lifespan

One thing you could probably do to fix it is stick it in the oven.  I believe Linus or someone on youtube did that.  Or if you are good at soldering, look for cold joints and touch them up.

I use to fix a lot of CRT monitors that way.

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

5 minutes ago, Dxer said:

One thing you could probably do to fix it is stick it in the oven.  I believe Linus or someone on youtube did that.  Or if you are good at soldering, look for cold joints and touch them up.

I use to fix a lot of CRT monitors that way.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare oven lying around, and I'm not too experienced with soldering. Not to mention I don't have access to any moderately useful soldering irons anywhere.

44 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

Hi all.

So about 15 minutes ago I was quite happily playing World of Tanks on my computer (specs in signature), when suddenly my display freaked out, then went black, then showed "HDMI Power Saving Mode" (no HDMI input). I was still hearing in game sound, and I was still interacting with the game, but no display. Everything was plugged in properly. I then shut down my PC by holding down the power button, after which I turned it back on. There was one long beep, followed by two short beeps. I researched this on the Gigabyte website, this means "Graphics Card Problem". So I opened my case up, turned the PC off and on again, but this time it was one short beep which means "All is well". I then plugged in my monitor... nothing. Restarted again.... nothing. The GPU was lighting up and everything, just no display. I then used my integrated graphics, and it was fine. I've reset the BIOS, I've re-seated my GPU. What can I do next, or is my GPU dead?

Note: I overclocked my GPU to 1400MHz core and 2050MHz memory. I also increased it's power limit to max, but left the voltage at stock, with this configuration it's been running fine in all my stress tests and gaming over about 2 months.

Note2: It is an ex-mining card, but the card BIOS is reset to normal, and the card otherwise performs as normal. The motherboard BIOS is also the latest one (F15)

You said you reseated it but have you tried a different slot? I Googled your board and it looks like there's a second PCIe slot. If that fails it sure does sound like the card has an issue with its output - maybe something is loose or some of the soldering joints have worn away. I think the card might be done man.

15 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

You said you reseated it but have you tried a different slot? I Googled your board and it looks like there's a second PCIe slot. If that fails it sure does sound like the card has an issue with its output - maybe something is loose or some of the soldering joints have worn away. I think the card might be done man.

I used a spare GPU (the only other GPU in the house, and RX460) to test the slot. Even though the card has no drivers it ran fine, which means its a problem with my GPU. I'm going to take it to my local PC store and see if they can fix it. If that doesn't work, I don't have a PC, as I don't have the money to buy a new GPU. Oh well.