Speed diff betw external 2.5 and internal 3.5?

grangervoldemort

What is the speed diff between a 4TB WD My Passport and a 5400rpm Internal 3.5inch 4TB drive?

Is there any diff?
They both sell for the same price which is £90.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

Depends on the RPMs. 5400 is very slow. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

One is for the external use and the other is for internal use on a computer, the my passport doesn't have a listed rpm so it may be faster than other but could be the same speed. It all depends on use case

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Depends on the RPMs. 5400 is very slow. 

This is a useless answer. I have 2 5400 rpm drives. Most drives that are sold now in 2019 are 5400rpm drives via online retailers. There are also things such as cache, data density, data storage method such as PMR or SMR, real life testing etc.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 minutes ago, barondeau said:

One is for the external use and the other is for internal use on a computer, the my passport doesn't have a listed rpm so it may be faster than other but could be the same speed. It all depends on use case

Pretty sure all external drives that are 2.5 inches are 5400rpm. How old are you? This site is full of what seems like amateur teens. Obviously one is external and one is internal. Hence why I specified for the other drive 'internal 3.5inch'.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

21 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

What is the speed diff between a 4TB WD My Passport and a 5400rpm Internal 3.5inch 4TB drive?

Is there any diff?
They both sell for the same price which is £90.

They satisfy different purposes. The internal drive will almost certainly end up faster due to having less overhead through the SATA bus as opposed to the USB bus, but in practice, the performance difference won't be night and day; and almost certainly won't make a meaningful difference in every day use.

What is the purpose of the drive? Does speed really matter that much -- if at all? Would the added benefit of being able to use it easily as an external drive be a plus?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

25 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

This is a useless answer. I have 2 5400 rpm drives. Most drives that are sold now in 2019 are 5400rpm drives via online retailers. There are also things such as cache, data density, data storage method such as PMR or SMR, real life testing etc.

First of all, i suggest you show a bit more respect to others, people go out of their way to help others (at least try to). So instead of saying "useless answer" engage in a conversation. 

Also most internal drives (3,5") are 7200 rpm, this is somewhat noticeably faster than 5400.

The answer you might be looking for is the one 79wjd gave.

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

55 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

First of all, i suggest you show a bit more respect to others, people go out of their way to help others (at least try to). So instead of saying "useless answer" engage in a conversation. 

Also most internal drives (3,5") are 7200 rpm, this is somewhat noticeably faster than 5400.

The answer you might be looking for is the one 79wjd gave.

It was a useless answer. There is no point in answering unless you have an answer that satisfies the question. RPM is not the only factor at all. Hence why I suspect that a 2.5inch drive running at 5400 and a 3.5 inch running at the same rpm will have a noticeable data rate speed diff. Otherwise people wouldn't opt for 3.5inchers. 

Most drives are 5400rpm. Go look check out drives on ebuyer, ocuk, scan etc. Look at 2-10tb models. Most in the 2-4tb range are 5400rpm. There was a shift (idk when) to 5400rpms drives and I don't know why.

I want concrete proof. I did some research myself but the tests run for the WD passport are diff to the ones run for 3.5 inch drives. I am also busy with other stuff - hence why I posted here to see if someone that already knows the answer can tell me. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

I have a WD 4TB 5400 rpm internal drive, sequential read/write speed is 146/142 MB/s

11 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

It was a useless answer. There is no point in answering unless you have an answer that satisfies the question. Speed is not the only factor at all. Hence why I suspect that a 2.5inch drive running at 5400 and a 3.5 inch running at the same speed will have a noticeable speed diff. Otherwise people wouldn't opt for 3.5inchers. 

Most drives are 5400rpm. Go look check out drives on ebuyer, ocuk, scan etc. Look at 2-10tb models. Most in the 2-4tb range are 5400rpm. There was a shift (idk when) to 5400rpms drives and I don't know why.

I want concrete proof. I did some research myself but the tests run for the WD passport are diff to the ones run for 3.5 inch drives. I am also busy with other stuff - hence why I posted here to see if someone that already knows the answer can tell me. 

I'm not going to spend words on things being useful, but you do not state you already did research, or specify what drives precisely you are talking about. The info you give isn't much to work with. 

Also here are some numbers from tweakers.net (dutch site with pricelistings of major eu retailers).

(The 20€ thing is to delete priceless listings)

Screenshot_20190727_024644.jpg

Screenshot_20190727_024620.jpg

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

They satisfy different purposes. The internal drive will almost certainly end up faster due to having less overhead through the SATA bus as opposed to the USB bus, but in practice, the performance difference won't be night and day; and almost certainly won't make a meaningful difference in every day use.

What is the purpose of the drive? Does speed really matter that much -- if at all? Would the added benefit of being able to use it easily as an external drive be a plus?

Starting a YouTube channel. Have 11TB of videos already sitting on drives. Haven't edited a single video yet. Been filming for 5 years. Need to edit and upload 5 years (11TB) of videos. I will probably want to keep the originals and the edits.
I still film so I need even more space+backup storage+more storage immediately. 

Drives are a bit of a mess. As follows:
FULL Samsung Spinpoint 1TB x2 (2010 and 2011 models bought new at the time) - FULL
FULL Samsung Spinpoint 2TB x2 ((2011 models bought new at the time) - mostly kept off (I have a Lian Li HDD individual power switch thingymobob (check my signature for full PC specs))- FULL
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - of which half is filled with videos - also my OS drive and only 40GB space left on it

FULL 128GB of videos on a SD card in my phone + 20GB of videos on intermal - no more drive space to transfer right now.
FULL 2x 64GB SD cards filled with videos

FULL 4TB WD My Passport - FULL

I have no backup solutions in place.

My parents abuse me so I have no friends due to their abuse so no offsite backup place. Banks here in the UK where I live do not have safe deposit boxes you can rent out.

No redundancy in place although backup>redundancy.

Need backup.

Need more drive space. MUCH more.

Not sure what to do. NAS drives are stupid expensive and I don't even really understand what they are for other than multiple people accessing them at the same time so work an be shared easily. I am solo.

Need backup + lots of storage. Ideally storage that shows up as one single drive. Doesn't have to though. 

Not sure if external drives, NAS or something similar or internal drives are the solution here. 

Not sure I want to go internal. I ideally want all my data in a box so I can pick it up at a moments notice and go with it and have another special box to transport it in.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Doesn't really matter. External will be bottlenecked by USB connection. And many newer external drives use something else than 5400rpm drives. WD for example uses their 5000rpm drives in some and 7200rpm in others. But using internal is still faster.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have noticed that in recent years more and more Hard Drives are 5400 RPM. That said the Cache in these are a lot bigger than they used to be so that offsets the loss in rotational speed.

I actually shucked a couple of 8 TB WD External Hard Drives to put into my rig. They are WD80EMAZ Models that are virtually identical to WD80EFAX Red Drives with the same 256MB Cache but a plain white label and a 2 year warranty instead of the Red's 3 year. (for some reason these Externals were shipping with Reds inside them for a while)

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

On 7/27/2019 at 1:52 AM, TheThymo said:

I'm not going to spend words on things being useful, but you do not state you already did research, or specify what drives precisely you are talking about. The info you give isn't much to work with. 

Also here are some numbers from tweakers.net (dutch site with pricelistings of major eu retailers).

(The 20€ thing is to delete priceless listings)

Screenshot_20190727_024644.jpg

Screenshot_20190727_024620.jpg

I told you to go on specific sites here in the UK. What is available in your country on a site that can search I assume the entire countries online stores for parts is not relevant. The only ones I know of here are OCUK, Scan, bt shop, Ebuyer, Amazon (risky though), and novatech although I have only ever bought one thing from that site.

Ebuyer and Scan are my go to. OCUK is expensive and has small selection. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD