Cat 6 cable to normal RJ45

Gautam.Dey
12 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

Can I connect Cat 6 cable via normal RJ45 plug???

Depends on the awg of the cable if you can use a "normal" rj45 plug or one for a thicker diameter.

Also check if the cable is stranded or solid, they require different types of RJ45 plugs.

2 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Depends on the awg of the cable if you can use a "normal" rj45 plug or one for a thicker diameter.

Also check if the cable is stranded or solid, they require different types of RJ45 plugs.

CAT-6e 23 AWG 

I have DLink RJ45

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

I've worked IT for the last 5 years doing cables and not once have I ever seen anything about this. 

14 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

CAT-6e 23 AWG 

I have DLink RJ45

Then you will need the RJ45 that can accommodate that. The wires will be staggered, since they are too thick to lay next to each other.

Most will be suitable for stranded and solid.

6614_file0QtbpLTbq40CU.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

I've worked IT for the last 5 years doing cables and not once have I ever seen anything about this. 

Most networks will be AWG24 cabling and rarely use AWG23 and bigger. At that point the wires become to thick to lay next to eachother.

From my experience (30+ years :P ) the amount of times i had to use the AWG23 connectors i can count on 1 hand. So i think you wont see it much or at all.

As for solid and stranded, the knives are a bit different, tho most RJ45 connectors are universal.

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Then you will need the RJ45 that can accommodate that. The wires will be staggered, since they are too thick to lay next to each other.

Most will be suitable for stranded and solid.

6614_file0QtbpLTbq40CU.jpg

Most networks will be AWG24 cabling and rarely use AWG23 and bigger. At that point the wires become to thick to lay next to eachother.

From my experience (30+ years :P ) the amount of times i had to use the AWG23 connectors i can count on 1 hand. So i think you wont see it much or at all.

As for solid and stranded, the knives are a bit different, tho most RJ45 connectors are universal.

Ah, well that would explain it then. 

It worked, although I don't have a gigabit switch yet to try but my old 100Mbit/s switch shows connectivity of 100Mb/s.

What color code did u use? From here it looks like green/green-white orange/orange-white brown/brown-white blue-white/blue

If so 100Mbit will work but 1GB will have issues as the normal order is:

3309a48e296a8ab189f5dc656730d262.png

That looking at from the bottom at the teeth with the cable pointing down

On 7/26/2019 at 11:27 PM, Dujith said:

What color code did u use? From here it looks like green/green-white orange/orange-white brown/brown-white blue-white/blue

If so 100Mbit will work but 1GB will have issues as the normal order is:

3309a48e296a8ab189f5dc656730d262.png

That looking at from the bottom at the teeth with the cable pointing down

Damn you're correct. The bandwidth is 100mbps. I didn't knew about color code. Damn I gotta redo the crimping. Thanks for this. I always thought that color coding didn't really mattered. All you need to do is match the order.