LG G5 is falling apart, not sure where to upgrade from here

Hello all!

I've had my LG G5 since May of 2017, and it's... like literally falling apart right now. The volume button up only works when it feels like it, the power button will not close the screen anymore, and if I hold it strong enough it will still shut the cellphone down or boot it back up (After several tries), the battery isn't holding its charge whatsoever... etc!

I tried fixing some of these problems on my own by opening it, and I found that a plate that is supposed to hold the button has fallen, so I had a grand old time putting it back into place and it didn't really fix all of the other issues.

Regardless, I think it might be time for me to upgrade to another smartphone, and I'd probably not go for an LG one again. The only reason I got the LG G5 was for the replaceable battery + SD Card, but the phone is literally falling apart before I actually need to replace the battery.

The few things I'm looking for:
Good storage space (I tend to use a lot of space)
Reasonably Fast (I tend to game/emulate on my phone)
Decent battery time (I generally recharge my phone once a day currently)

I'll likely get the phone from a carrier since I don't have a large amount to drop on a new phone at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Feuver said:

Hello all!

I've had my LG G5 since May of 2017, and it's... like literally falling apart right now. The volume button up only works when it feels like it, the power button will not close the screen anymore, and if I hold it strong enough it will still shut the cellphone down or boot it back up (After several tries), the battery isn't holding its charge whatsoever... etc!

I tried fixing some of these problems on my own by opening it, and I found that a plate that is supposed to hold the button has fallen, so I had a grand old time putting it back into place and it didn't really fix all of the other issues.

Regardless, I think it might be time for me to upgrade to another smartphone, and I'd probably not go for an LG one again. The only reason I got the LG G5 was for the replaceable battery + SD Card, but the phone is literally falling apart before I actually need to replace the battery.

I'll likely get the phone from a carrier since I don't have a large amount to drop on a new phone at the moment.

get a s10+ or something nice like that

the battery is good

it's fast

good storage

and you can get it on a carrier plan

17 minutes ago, Feuver said:

Hello all!

IMO carrier phones are awful and you should never buy one because of the obscene amount of bloatware that slows down a phone so much. I had a Verizon Galaxy S6 and that thing was dog slow even after resetting. My unlocked S5 is still quite usable and is MUCH smoother than the S6.  I would recommend getting an unlocked slightly older phone. You can get a factory unlocked brand new s9+ for $400-$420 on eBay but if that's too much you can find used ones for <$300 or a new s8+ for $300.

An LG G6 is also a cheaper option, there is a few brand new open box ones for cheap, one for $135, it's only an SD 821 but it has a headphone jack and an Sd card slot as well as water resistance.  I have a G6 and I think it's an awesome phone for the money, but if you need more power I would go with the S8 or S9.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

4 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

IMO carrier phones are awful and you should never buy one because of the obscene amount of bloatware that slows down a phone so much. I had a Verizon Galaxy S6 and that thing was dog slow even after resetting. My unlocked S5 is still quite usable and is MUCH smoother than the S6.  I would recommend getting an unlocked slightly older phone. You can get a factory unlocked brand new s9+ for $400-$420 on eBay but if that's too much you can find used ones for <$300 or a new s8+ for $300.

The thing is that I can likely get my employer to pay for the phone outright if it is on a carrier plan - if I buy the phone outright (Which I've done in the past) I will likely have to pay it from my pocket.

2 minutes ago, Feuver said:

The thing is that I can likely get my employer to pay for the phone outright if it is on a carrier plan - if I buy the phone outright (Which I've done in the past) I will likely have to pay it from my pocket.

ah, if you can get it for free from an employer than go ahead, the S10+ and LG V40 both have good size batteries and SD card slots/headphone jacks. They are very similar phones, the S10 has a better SOC though. I still recommend using one of the amble debloat scripts for whatever phone you choose, it does actually make a decent difference.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

I have sold phones for too long lg never lasts ever. I recommend Motorola as an iPhone guy I really appreciate the build quality the stock android experience  and the amazing battery life of the z play line. The lack of bloatware is a plus and they seem to be at least trying to support their older phones, should fit the bill without breaking the bank. I had a z play and it was a tank amazing battery 2 days normal easy, plus I promise they last. I have sold so many phones to concrete guys and drywall guys they are the  worst for dust and grit and even the non IP rated phones stand up with them.

Just now, lonewolf5460 said:

I have sold phones for too long lg never lasts ever. I recommend Motorola as an iPhone guy I really appreciate the build quality the stock android experience  and the amazing battery life of the z play line. The lack of bloatware is a plus and they seem to be at least trying to support their older phones, should fit the bill without breaking the bank. I had a z play and it was a tank amazing battery 2 days normal easy, plus I promise they last. I have sold so many phones to concrete guys and drywall guys they are the  worst for dust and grit and even the non IP rated phones stand up with them.

What would I be sacrificing taking the Motorola Flagship vs Samsung?

The camera while good is no Samsung, the cpu is weaker but you gain on battery life because. I prefer stock android so I put a lot of value on that and Motorola did a good job keeping the add ons minimal. The z play line is a upper mid range phone not flagship they are good all rounders add on what I know about the durability is why I recommend them. Very few android phones are truly good on year 3 and 4 I have seen them last with happy year 3 and 4 customers. Samsungs you always get screen burn in on the OLED models by year 3 with heavy use put on a white screen you will see it. The z3 play is 350 on Motorolas website right now.

iPhone XR, insane battery life (I’ve averaged 10h before), great camera, very fast SoC, big bright and accurate display, and many apps run better on iOS