is it normal that my new rtx 2060 is under-performing

NemesisWPT
Go to solution Solved by sirlamchops25,
14 minutes ago, NemesisWPT said:

Hey, i got this brand new laptop with an i7-9750h paired up with an rtx 2060. I played cs:go and i reached a max of 140 fps which is horrible for an rtx 2060 and should be 200+fps and sometimes my frames even dropped to 40-. Same thing on Apex and Dauntless. What can i do to make it better. Plz help

It's likely that your GPU or CPU (maybe both) are suffering from thermal throttling. For beginners, I would recommend elevating the exhaust area of your laptop or get a cooling pad on Amazon as well as cranking the fans up a little. Make sure to play on a table or a solid flat surface, as if you play on even your lap, your laptop will suffocate.

A little more advanced technique is to undervolt your CPU, and you can find a good tutorial on youtube by Dave2D 

Hey, i got this brand new laptop with an i7-9750h paired up with an rtx 2060. I played cs:go and i reached a max of 140 fps which is horrible for an rtx 2060 and should be 200+fps and sometimes my frames even dropped to 40-. Same thing on Apex and Dauntless. What can i do to make it better. Plz help

12 minutes ago, NemesisWPT said:

is horrible for an rtx 2060 and should be 200+fps

CSGO is really old game with a really old engine. Honestly your 2.6 GHZ CPU is probably the issue here. Make sure the laptop is running in high performance mode and temps are ok so it can Turbo. Apex is also a source game so thats also probaly one of the issues.

My life

14 minutes ago, NemesisWPT said:

It's likely that your GPU or CPU (maybe both) are suffering from thermal throttling. For beginners, I would recommend elevating the exhaust area of your laptop or get a cooling pad on Amazon as well as cranking the fans up a little. Make sure to play on a table or a solid flat surface, as if you play on even your lap, your laptop will suffocate.

A little more advanced technique is to undervolt your CPU, and you can find a good tutorial on youtube by Dave2D 

Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75 gHz     ???     RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition

ASUS ROG Strix X-470-F     ???     Fractal Design Meshify C

500GB WD Blue Sata SSD     ???     Samsung  970EVO 500GB

2TB Seagate Firecude 3.5"     ???     2x8 Gb GSkill TridentZ RGB @3000mHz

Corsair CX650M

What laptop model? Whare are your thermals and clockspeed like?

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What laptop model? Whare are your thermals and clockspeed like?

i have a lenovo legion y540 15". I dont know about the rest

Just now, NemesisWPT said:

i have a lenovo legion y540 15". I dont know about the rest

Knowing how Lenovo sets their entry level laptops up, I'm assuming you're running at base clock and that's what causing the performance issues.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Knowing how Lenovo sets their entry level laptops up, I'm assuming you're running at base clock and that's what causing the performance issues.

probably

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

do you know where i can boost it

12 minutes ago, Himommies said:

CSGO is really old game with a really old engine. Honestly your 2.6 GHZ CPU is probably the issue here. Make sure the laptop is running in high performance mode and temps are ok so it can Turbo. Apex is also a source game so thats also probaly one of the issues.

ok ill check

12 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

ok ill go check out the vid thanks for the suggestions 

Without voiding your warranty with BIOS modding? You can try throttlestop but that may end up causing overheating.

thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it a lot that you took your time to help a random stranger. Keep it up

Full specs? Check temps

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128