Ram for Ryzen 7 2700x on B450

Hello everyone i'm really interested in getting a higher speed ram for my system. Currently im running 16GB of 2400mhz ram on my Asus Prime B450 Plus with Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4GHz.

1. Will i be able to run 16GB of 3200mhz ram on my motherboard with CPU set at 4GHz?

2. Dose RAM compatibility play a huge factor in rated speeds working or not like on first gen Ryzen with 2nd generation Ryzen CPU's?

3. Is there a possibility of this RAM (HX432C16PB3A/8) working with my Prime B450 Plus @ 3200mhz with Ryzen 7 2700x at 4GHz?

4. If motherboard change is required what is a good AM4 motherboard to look after?

Many Thanks. 

Second gen Ryzen has issues with 3200mhz compared to 3000 which should run perfect. You also want timings under 18, like 16-18-18-18-36 because the timings get desynced with the cpu when they're too high. LevelOneTechs has a great video on it but I can't link sadly since I'm on a 30 day no Youtube challenge lol.

Here's the ram I'm using on Zen2 https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232418?item=N82E16820232418&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-memory+(desktop+memory)-_-N82E16820232418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzbT9-Y3O4wIVDfDACh3hHQXiEAQYByABEgJuu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

1. Yes
2. Ram comparability is always a factor. your ram will always run on the lowest speed / clock if your rams are not the same

3. Yes, but you should get the 16gb DIMM instead of a single 8GB stick for reasons above
4. Im using the MSI B450 Carbon Pro and its very good so far :>. but your mobo seems fine. no need to change it

EDIT:

@Ladicius

Is this the video?

I've tried running HX430C15PB3K2/32 3000mhz ram from other System i use, After setting ram profile at rated speed of 3000mhz of and applying the settings it restarted a few times i've shut down the PC and Powered it up again being greeted by System Instability Warning and to press F1 after getting back to bios i set the RAM lowest speed and it booted fine at 2400mhz. Now i'm puzzled cause i've checked the motherboard QVL RAM Compatibility at ASUS Support and managed to find (HX430C15PB3K2/32) running at Dual DIMM slots at 3000Mhz. 

And Sadly the only Manufacturer that my Vendor sells is either ADATA or Kingston for any other i chose i need to buy through Amazon and the import tax and shipping tax is insane here where i live. x)

9 minutes ago, nikolasmp said:

I've tried running HX430C15PB3K2/32 3000mhz ram from other System i use, After setting ram profile at rated speed of 3000mhz of and applying the settings it restarted a few times i've shut down the PC and Powered it up again being greeted by System Instability Error and to press F1 after getting back to bios i set the RAM lowest speed and it booted fine at 2400mhz. Now i'm puzzled cause i've checked the motherboard QVL RAM Compatibility at ASUS Support and managed to find the RAM running at Dual DIMM slots at 3000Mhz.

Whats the DRAM voltage? RAM is RAM and if it's rated a 3200mhz it should run that with the timings writen on the RAM stick. QVL as nothing to do with brand of motherboard or CPU, it's just tested on that particular board to work and set itself automaticly at the speed and timing advertised on the sticks.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

14 minutes ago, nikolasmp said:

I've tried running HX430C15PB3K2/32 3000mhz ram from other System i use, After setting ram profile at rated speed of 3000mhz of and applying the settings it restarted a few times i've shut down the PC and Powered it up again being greeted by System Instability Error and to press F1 after getting back to bios i set the RAM lowest speed and it booted fine at 2400mhz. Now i'm puzzled cause i've checked the motherboard QVL RAM Compatibility at ASUS Support and managed to find the RAM running at Dual DIMM slots at 3000Mhz.

Try and use the XMP profile, since thats what the RAM is setup for.
Also Voltage and latency comes into play when changing frequencys...

31 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

4. Im using the MSI B450 Carbon Pro and its very good so far :>. but your mobo seems fine. no need to change it

Are you really sure? I mean for OCing isnt the VRM higly inadequate? Or is that just me not trusting 5 6 phase VRMs...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Are you really sure? I mean for OCing isnt the VRM higly inadequate? Or is that just me not trusting 5 6 phase VRMs...

Ya true, I forgot about that part. Every1 screwed up their B450 mobo except for MSI apparently. 

But if its not extreme OCing, it wouldnt be that bad is it? I'm just thinking on the practical / economical side, so OP doesnt change their mobo for very little applicable upgrade.

1 minute ago, Ruo94 said:

Ya true, I forgot about that part. Every1 screwed up their B450 mobo except for MSI apparently. 

But if its not extreme OCing, it wouldnt be that bad is it? I'm just thinking on the practical / economical side, so OP doesnt change their mobo for very little applicable upgrade.

Yeah i remember going from stock to all core 4Ghz on my 1700X and it wasnt a big leap in power consumption so i think it will befine tho.

39 minutes ago, Ruo94 said:

1. Yes
2. Ram comparability is always a factor. your ram will always run on the lowest speed / clock if your rams are not the same

3. Yes, but you should get the 16gb DIMM instead of a single 8GB stick for reasons above

EDIT:

@Ladicius

Is this the video?

Yee!

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

I have Asus EZ Tuning set at Performance and XMP profile set at 3000mhz. I've done no Advance Tuning.. Before it restarted a few times and i had to change back at default.

I do plan to get a X570 next year, but im just curious to see if i can get better performance out of my 2700x with higher speed ram with my Prime B450 Plus.

Just now, nikolasmp said:

I have Asus EZ Tuning set at Performance and XMP profile set at 3000mhz. I've done no Advance Tuning.. Before it restarted a few times and i had to change back at default.

I do plan to get a X570 next year, but im just curious to see if i can get better performance out of my 2700x with higher speed ram with my Prime B450 Plus.

There might be different compatibility, but it should all work already.
If you turn it back to the 3000Mhz can you increase the voltage? Or is that locked?
Kingston HyperX can run at 1,35V which is pretty high, but might be needed for the stability...

9 minutes ago, nikolasmp said:

You will, Zen+ is very sensitive to memory speed, it scale very good up to 3000-3200mhz

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

You will, Zen+ is very sensitive to memory speed, it scale very good up to 3000-3200mhz

This

WIP Build (Maul):

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

There might be different compatibility, but it should all work already.
If you turn it back to the 3000Mhz can you increase the voltage? Or is that locked?
Kingston HyperX can run at 1,35V which is pretty high, but might be needed for the stability...

I've put back my previous 2400 mhz speed RAM cause i need the other PC up and running for Work and Rendering, but from what i've tried setting D.O.C.P. Profile at 3000mhz i think it was running at 1.35V cause that's the factory settings on the site. I'm pretty new to OC'ing so i haven't really done no Advance Configurations except setting on Performance mode on EZ Tuning.

I suggest you to go look at Buildzoid Ram Overclocking videos they are very long but very instructive, and you should use Ryzen DRAM Calculator you won't get the best performance if you know what you are doing but for beginners it's very useful, i used it just to see if that was working and i lost like 30 points on Cinebench which is very minimal considering how hard i worked to get my memory there and being stable, so yeah it work very good.

Alright i'll definitely give that a look and watch a video from Level1Techs. Anyways thanks for the help much appreciated 

For Zen+ specifically I always recommend 3200 CL16 for the “average” person. And 3200 CL14 for power users. 100ish dollar difference isn’t worth it for most people. 

Look at your mobos compatibility list

3 minutes ago, Deadsies said:

Look at your mobos compatibility list

QVL is a gimmick

Edit: Just like AMD and Intel RAM......

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

QVL is a gimmick

Edit: Just like AMD and Intel RAM......

A text list is a gimmick? 

Okay let’s hear why you think a list of tested RAM is a gimmick. Since you stated it like it’s a fact (it’s not).

Because motherboard manufacturers don't test every single kit of RAM stick in their boards, because they don't state what CPU they used, because every piece of electronic behave differently, because they don't state what was the voltage or speed they used to test the memory sticks, and many other factors. They always state somewhere on their website or QVL that it MAY not work or OC is not guaranteed.

okay I’ll tell people not to use that perfectly working list. Let’s just let people guess or rely on unreliable anecdotal evidence of every single model of RAM and it’s compatibility with every single model of mobo. 

Thank you for letting us know that the list is a gimmick after years and millions of posts/advice saying the opposite. 

You now have a duty to drive-by post “QVL is a gimmick” in every thread that mentions it so we know what’s up. Don’t slack on us, we are relying on you.