Is this cooling solution good? Pardon my paint skills.

Whalelicker

I got a new MSI Gaming Trio. It is a huuuge card, so i have to redo my fan setup in my Meshify C. Dead set on positive pressure.

This is how i imagine it. 

1) Are the exhaust and intake fans next to each other ok? I imagine the vector should point in the CPU cooler.

2) Does blowing into your shroud with HDD stuff make alot of noise? Its around 1/3 of the 140mm fan there.

fans2.png.c550d8c1792ffc99dbaba2d6798b8ec1.png

1- Try the top right fan both ways and see which temps are better.  I think both blowing out might work better.  All others look good to me.

2 - Depends on the kind of fans, but I bet you'll be fin with the noise level.  The GPU will be the loudest part of this build.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

1- Try the top right fan both ways and see which temps are better.  I think both blowing out might work better.  All others look good to me.

2 - Depends on the kind of fans, but I bet you'll be fin with the noise level.  The GPU will be the loudest part of this build.

Actually this GPU is so damn quiet, i´m very impressed. Thats the point, if i put the top right fan blowing out, it becomes negative pressure.

The GPU is quiet but eats up so much air, i will be puting Venturi HF 14 down there, it has great flow rate.

2 minutes ago, Whalelicker said:

Actually this GPU is so damn quiet, i´m very impressed. Thats the point, if i put the top right fan blowing out, it becomes negative pressure.

The GPU is quiet but eats up so much air, i will be puting Venturi HF 14 down there, it has great flow rate.

You could adjust fan speeds to get positive pressure, but I see your point.  Like I said, swapping the direction and changing the speeds of fans is pretty easy.  I'd start with this and make changes to one thing at a time till you are happy with the temps and noise.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You could adjust fan speeds to get positive pressure, but I see your point.  Like I said, swapping the direction and changing the speeds of fans is pretty easy.  I'd start with this and make changes to one thing at a time till you are happy with the temps and noise.

Oh, also PSU fan is on the inside, so that is another negative fan. I will figure it out. I was just bored on a public transport so i asked heh.

6 hours ago, Whalelicker said:

Oh, also PSU fan is on the inside, so that is another negative fan. I will figure it out. I was just bored on a public transport so i asked heh.

Isn't your PSU behind a shroud? If it is, it doesn't really count towards positive or negative pressure. You should have your PSU just pulling air from the bottom of the case if you have a power supply shroud, unless the shroud is vented then you can possibly use it to help remove hot air from near the GPU.

I have a similar fan setup in my case and when I have the top front fan set as intake my CPU temp is about 3-4 degrees cooler and when it is exhaust my GPU temp is lower by about the same amount.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

7 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Isn't your PSU behind a shroud? If it is, it doesn't really count towards positive or negative pressure. You should have your PSU just pulling air from the bottom of the case if you have a power supply shroud, unless the shroud is vented then you can possibly use it to help remove hot air from near the GPU.

I have a similar fan setup in my case and when I have the top front fan set as intake my CPU temp is about 3-4 degrees cooler and when it is exhaust my GPU temp is lower by about the same amount.

PSU is in the shroud, but fan is on the inside, there is ofcourse a perforated area so the PSU doesn't choke. Hence is lowers pressure. In the past I tested PSU both ways, but fan IN was always better. I might change it after u put those fans there just to see. 

Also the PSU only that's blowing air then both CPU and GPU are in use. So I think it helps keeping the warm air out.

22 hours ago, Whalelicker said:

I got a new MSI Gaming Trio. It is a huuuge card, so i have to redo my fan setup in my Meshify C. Dead set on positive pressure.

This is how i imagine it. 

1) Are the exhaust and intake fans next to each other ok? I imagine the vector should point in the CPU cooler.

2) Does blowing into your shroud with HDD stuff make alot of noise? Its around 1/3 of the 140mm fan there.

fans2.png.c550d8c1792ffc99dbaba2d6798b8ec1.png

Edit: Thinking a bit more about it,  I think the main concern is that you're not re-cycling hot air back into the CPU cooler after the extractor in the top of the case has pushed it out. If the room it's in is very well ventilated then I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but if the situation is such that the hot air will build above the PC then drawing air in from that buildup of hot air might be a little detrimental. Having said that, many people mount their CPU or GPU radiators in the front of the case, drawing the hot air out of the radiators through the case, over the components and out of the back of the PC through the rear extractor and it doesn't make that much of a difference to temperatures...really very little...

...but yeah, a well ventilated room is always good for P.C. temps, and often the best way to cool your CPU down is to open a window (if you don't live somewhere like California). But anyway, what I originally posted:

I think that's a pretty neat idea; it's the kind of thing I would do. Unfortunately it's not really possible to get 120mm or 140mm vents for PC case fans, otherwise I'd recommend putting one on the fan that's pointing down, so as to channel the air down to the Pro 4's intake fan (and to stop the air being sucked back out by the other fan in the top of the case before it can do anything)...

...you just need to make sure that the ventilation above the case is good. My PC sits under a shelf in an alcove so if I used this configuration it would probably just start recycling the hot air being pulled out of the case by the other top-mounted fan.

I'd personally say, yes, keep the fan in the top pointed down as long as it's not running at such a high speed that it's disrupting the airflow generated from the other case fans...you want it to feed the CPU cooler fan without disrupting the overall airflow in the case.

Beyond that I'd say definitely don't flip it back the right way as that'll just pull air away from the components and reduce the cooling efficiency of the overall setup.

Basically, keep it flipped to feed the CPU cooler as long as it's not running at a faster speed than the other case fans...or...just pull it completely and leave that fan aperture empty, because pulling air out of the case through it will just redirect air away from the components; you wan the air moving across the components.

The two blowholes in the top of the case are mainly for seating 240mm and/or 280mm radiatiors. In my everyday usage P.C. where I'm using air cooling, I just leave that front blowhole empty, because putting an extractor their would just channel air in and out without it touching any of the components.

Also, I'd personally add a second fan to the Pro 4 to make it push pull (get a powered PWM splitter to run both fans off the the CPU header. These days headers can probably handle up to two fans but it's good to use a splitter just for peace of mind.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

2 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Edit: Thinking a bit more about it,  I think the main concern is that you're not re-cycling hot air back into the CPU cooler after the extractor in the top of the case has pushed it out. If the room it's in is very well ventilated then I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but if the situation is such that the hot air will build above the PC then drawing air in from that buildup of hot air might be a little detrimental. Having said that, many people mount their CPU or GPU radiators in the front of the case, drawing the hot air out of the radiators through the case, over the components and out of the back of the PC through the rear extractor and it doesn't make that much of a difference to temperatures...really very little...

...but yeah, a well ventilated room is always good for P.C. temps, and often the best way to cool your CPU down is to open a window (if you don't live somewhere like California). But anyway, what I originally posted:

I think that's a pretty neat idea; it's the kind of thing I would do. Unfortunately it's not really possible to get 120mm or 140mm vents for PC case fans, otherwise I'd recommend putting one on the fan that's pointing down, so as to channel the air down to the Pro 4's intake fan (and to stop the air being sucked back out by the other fan in the top of the case before it can do anything)...

...you just need to make sure that the ventilation above the case is good. My PC sits under a shelf in an alcove so if I used this configuration it would probably just start recycling the hot air being pulled out of the case by the other top-mounted fan.

I'd personally say, yes, keep the fan in the top pointed down as long as it's not running at such a high speed that it's disrupting the airflow generated from the other case fans...you want it to feed the CPU cooler fan without disrupting the overall airflow in the case.

Beyond that I'd say definitely don't flip it back the right way as that'll just pull air away from the components and reduce the cooling efficiency of the overall setup.

Basically, keep it flipped to feed the CPU cooler as long as it's not running at a faster speed than the other case fans...or...just pull it completely and leave that fan aperture empty, because pulling air out of the case through it will just redirect air away from the components; you wan the air moving across the components.

The two blowholes in the top of the case are mainly for seating 240mm and/or 280mm radiatiors. In my everyday usage P.C. where I'm using air cooling, I just leave that front blowhole empty, because putting an extractor their would just channel air in and out without it touching any of the components.

Also, I'd personally add a second fan to the Pro 4 to make it push pull (get a powered PWM splitter to run both fans off the the CPU header. These days headers can probably handle up to two fans but it's good to use a splitter just for peace of mind.

Thanks for the long response, i will try lot of configurations, and report what worked best. Area above the PC is more or less well ventilated, yes. Also i did not understand this sentence "Unfortunately it's not really possible to get 120mm or 140mm vents for PC case fans"? What vents do you mean. 

3 minutes ago, Whalelicker said:

Also i did not understand this sentence "Unfortunately it's not really possible to get 120mm or 140mm vents for PC case fans"? What vents do you mean. 

I think I used the wrong word...I was thinking of a duct, basically a tube that air travels around like an air duct...? I've tried to find them for P.C. case fans in the past but there's just nothing really compatible with computer case fans; it's a shame.

But don't worry it probably wouldn't make too much difference; I just like to try and optimise things. ;)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2