Help choosing Class/Gmaing Laptop

Hello all, long time lurker here. I'm kind of new to posting here so I hope I'm in the right place.

I just finished my associates degree and am transferring to a four year university to finish my degree. So it's time to look for a laptop, I'm not trying to bring my desktop with me...

Originally I decided to get a Razer blade 15 advanced (9750h, 16gb, rtx 2070 maxQ, 240hz).

But I've been having second thoughts, it's a good chunk of money and I want to make sure I get what I need/want.

So I'm between four at the moment:

1) Razer Blade 15 advanced

(i7 9750h, 16gb, rtx 2070 maxQ, 240hz).

2) Razer Blade 15 advanced 

(i7 9750h, 16gb, rtx 2060, 144hz).

3) Asus Zephyrus S Thin

(i7 9750h, 16gb, rtx 2070, 240hz).

4) Msi Gs65 Stealth 

(i7 9750h, 32gb, rtx 2070 maxQ, 240hz).

Extra, 5) Dell Xps 15 

(i7 9750h, 16gb, GTX 1650, 4k).

I'm not really sure what I want to do. I need something for doing school work and that I can take to and from class. But I want to be able to play some games in my free time as well. I do photographe and some light video work so I need something that can handle some editing. My major is Computer Engineer so I don't need anything to powerful for that. As far as games I play; city builders, open world, fps, and some esports games... ie; Skyrim, cities skylines, Ghost recon wildlands, frostpunk, counter strike, etc...

I don't need 4k or 240hz when it comes to it but it seems thats how they come. I'm was just kind of thinking that the 2070 is alittle overkill. I don't want something that constantly overheats.

Any help is much appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Rants86 said:

I don't need 4k or 240hz when it comes to it but it seems thats how they come. I'm was just kind of thinking that the 2070 is alittle overkill. I don't want something that constantly overheats.

If the 2070 is overkill, what about this?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233268

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Budget ? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Budget ? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

I wanna try and stay around $2500 but definitely under $3k.

I not to sure on what I'd want the weight to be... I know the Razer blade is right around 5lbs. The lighter and tinner the better. I know the smaller  laptops dont help with thermals. I just want to find a good compromise between portability and performance.

As for battery life, the more the better. I don't mind putting it in power saver mode to get some extra time, then plugging it in for gaming back at the dorm. 3 to 5 hours would be preferable, classes and labs shouldnt last longer than that. But the more the better. I should have room to carry a charger.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, star_pilot475 said:

If the 2070 is overkill, what about this?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233268

That's kind of what I'm asking. I want to be able to play an assortment of games on decent setting, preferably higher. When it comes to thin and light gaming laptops does the heat Kill the extra performance? I'm pretty new to laptops since this is the first one I'll be getting in years... I'm familiar with the hardware, I've built quiet a few desktops but I've just never looked into laptop performance. Especially when it comes to Rtx maxQ cards.

Is it worth it to get a 2070 maxQ over a 2060? Will the 2070 just overheat? 

That Aero you recommend looks fine, I'm just not sure about the 1660ti being enough. Also it's kind of limited when it comes to storage. I'd want a minimum of 512gb. I know I said 240hz doesn't matter but 60hz is a big draw back, a 120hz or higher would be better.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rants86 said:

That's kind of what I'm asking. I want to be able to play an assortment of games on decent setting, preferably higher. When it comes to thin and light gaming laptops does the heat Kill the extra performance? I'm pretty new to laptops since this is the first one I'll be getting in years... I'm familiar with the hardware, I've built quiet a few desktops but I've just never looked into laptop performance. Especially when it comes to Rtx maxQ cards.

Is it worth it to get a 2070 maxQ over a 2060? Will the 2070 just overheat? 

That Aero you recommend looks fine, I'm just not sure about the 1660ti being enough. Also it's kind of limited when it comes to storage. I'd want a minimum of 512gb. I know I said 240hz doesn't matter but 60hz is a big draw back, a 120hz or higher would be better.

Thanks!

Get the Alienware m15 from HIDevolution and choose their thermal upgrade by selecting Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads in the laptop configurator. I've had the laptop and it strkes an excellent balance between portability, being able to play any game you with on it and superb battery life especially if you opt for the 90WHr version of it which removes the additional 2.5" bay in exchange for a larger battery capacity.

I had that laptop before the Alienware Area-51m that I currently own and with those thermal paste upgrades and thermal pads along with a slight undervolt, the temps were superb and the laptop never overheated

My second suggestion would be the MSI GS65 

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

I don't think you need to spend that much

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52

Lenovo Legion Y740 15

Eluktronics Mech-15 G2 62Wh

Gigabyte Aero 15 SA 240 Hz

Acer Predator Triton 500

Clevo P960RD

GS65 RTX also not that bad, but LM is highly recommended

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128