Reset while idle

Emanbaird

I Just upgraded to a 3700x and it's giving me some quirky issues. I had some BSOD's in the beginning but some mucking about in the BIOS fixed that.

My computer has Reset itself 3 times now. If I leave it completely idle while downloading a game (FFXIV/CLANNAD VN) it seems to reset about 5 minutes in judging on the percentage downloaded; however, it seems to have no problem if I leave a game running in the background (Warframe) as I left it running for about an hour and I came back.

Any ideas what this could be?

Considering it's only at idle it could be some power settings in windows, and since its only occurring on my new CPU it may have something to do with CPU power. 

It's really hard to test for as it requires me not using my computer, Just looking for suggestions.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

heh, there are posts about ryzen 3rd gen having troubles every 1hr, the problem is in the bios and chipset compatibility, check your manufacturer's support and update bios. What board do you have?

When it resets have you noticed any BSOD just before it does? You can also check Event Viewer to see if it recorded anything wrong just before it restarts.

Just now, wojtepanik said:

heh, there are posts about ryzen 3rd gen having troubles every 1hr, the problem is in the bios and chipset compatibility, check your manufacturer's support and update bios. What board do you have?

X470 Taichi, I'm on the newest Bios so far, if I have to I can upgrade to x570 but I really like my taichi lol 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Windows7ge said:

When it resets have you noticed any BSOD just before it does? You can also check Event Viewer to see if it recorded anything wrong just before it restarts.

Where in Event viewer should I check?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Emanbaird said:

Where in Event viewer should I check?

Before you do that wojtepanik brought up a very good point I forgot about. It was said the Ryzen 3000 series is pretty buggy right now. You should probably try a BIOS update before jumping down any other rabbit hole. What motherboard are you using?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Before you do that wojtepanik brought up a very good point I forgot about. It was said the Ryzen 3000 series is pretty buggy right now. You should probably try a BIOS update before jumping down any other rabbit hole. What motherboard are you using?

ASrock x470 Taichi 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

5 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

ASrock x470 Taichi 

X470 Taichi - BIOS

It seems before you can update they need you to install an AMD driver. Make sure you do that first. The latest version is 3.43 do you know what version you're on?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

X470 Taichi - BIOS

It seems before you can update they need you to install an AMD driver. Make sure you do that first. The latest version is 3.43 do you know what version you're on?

Yee I followed through with 3.43, I updated the drivers, I don't think windows boots without it

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

33 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

Yee I followed through with 3.43, I updated the drivers, I don't think windows boots without it

Down a rabbit hole we go then. Like how I mentioned Event Viewer as soon as the system finishes rebooting after a reset you'd want to go to:

Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

and look for the latest events marked with a white/red ! just prior to the restart. These would be the errors that occurred. Sometimes they're easy to read/understand sometime not.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Down a rabbit hole we go then. Like how I mentioned Event Viewer as soon as the system finishes rebooting after a reset you'd want to go to:

Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

and look for the latest events marked with a white/red ! just prior to the restart. These would be the errors that occurred. Sometimes they're easy to read/understand sometime not.

I get off at 2:45 (CST) I'll report my findings then! TY!

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard