Will i need a 1st gen ryzen cpu to update x470 motherboards for 3rd gen ryzen?

Hello, I was just wondering if i was to build my first pc with a aorus x470 ultra gaming and a ryzen 7 3700x, would i need a first gen ryzen (lets say a ryzen 3 1200) in order to update the bios for it to work with 3rd gen ryzen?

Thanks for reading :D

No. Some boards have a feature called BIOS flashback where you can flash the BIOS on the board without a CPU installed. If not, AMD has a program where they will ship you a CPU you can use to update the BIOS with and then you just send it back to them after. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Some retailers also offer a bios upgrade for non x570 motherboards so they can run Ryzen3000. It might add some cost to the CPU but its cheaper than getting an old CPU just for the upgrade.  

You need a CPU for the bios flash. As far as I know no x470 gigabytes have it where you can flash without a cpu.  Here are some ways to do this.

Have the store update you 

See if a small PC shop will update you

Find someone selling a first gen ryzen offer then a few bucks to meet up and use the cpu to flash your bios.

Buy a cheap CPU to keep around. I bought a used 2200g to keep around as a flashing CPU and back up as well as for the onboard graphics.  I payed $50 for it and honestly it's worth it because that one time you need onboard graphics for some reason or a cou to flash it makes life so much easier. 

Small mom and pop store or one of the local Craigslist or Facebook PC builders should be able to get you up and running for about $10.

Hope it all goes smoothly for ya and enjoy the new CPU.

You will need a first or second gen Ryzen CPU to update the bios on any X470/B450 Gigabyte board, the only boards you can update without a CPU is the Asus Crosshair VII and most MSI boards.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430