Router

Zachary Cartwright

I want to build a router that takes my dsl line in using a pci card like the old days type stuff and then run a single rj45 card to a switch, would that even work or is it a pipe dream? I know most of the ins and outs of assembly of computer hardware and i know that those old dial up cards are useless these days, but is there any way i can do this? i have gone through 4 new routers in the last 2 years where i live and ive had enough, they cost too much to keep replacing and they refuse to warranty them even though i dont mess with them or open them up. ANY responses are welcome and all ideas are as well

or at least tell me a good company that i can get a reliable router from that can handle me playing games and video streaming

DSL? does that service still exist?

1 minute ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

or at least tell me a good company that i can get a reliable router from that can handle me playing games and video streaming

Any 20+mbps internet service can do this.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

@Zachary Cartwright Decent internet speed depends on many factors :

1) The actual speed you internet service provider is actally giving you

2) The speed your router can handle

3) The speed your network switch (if you have one) can handle

4) The cable bandwidth

5) The PCs network card

If you want decent speed, first make sure your ISP is actually giving 20mbps. Then move on to the router and then PC network card

ASUS make some reliable routers u_10137898.jpg?_ga=2.13086199.1342573678.1563623055-1462937330.1560971671&_gac=1.52044507.1563702613.CjwKCAjwmtDpBRAQEiwAC6lm48N5SNXsGuuK1dClN6rf3LMo3Wa4ItHkmkCvSaia2EmPMJhawFwgAxoCd2gQAvD_BwE

Edited by LogicalDrm

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Yes you can do this, but it seems superfluous for your needs. 

If you're "going through" routers, then it sounds like you have electrical issues in your area. Either power spikes or power spikes on the copper lines.

Id strongly recommend getting a surge protector for both power and phoneline.

Depending on your needs, if you just want a pure router - cant go past a Draytek Vigor 130 imo. Had it on both vectored and non vectored ADSL2+ & VDSL2 and never had better sync on any other router as compared with that one. This is only a single port though so needs to be paired to a Switch/AP/etc..

Working for an ISP i have about a dozen different consumer routers as well from Belkin, TPLink, Draytek, Huawei, Netgear, Asus, etc....

If you want an AIO (all-in-one) then probably the Asus series such as the RT-AC68U - fantastic wifi and routing at a decent price. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3 hours ago, Zachary Cartwright said:

I want to build a router that takes my dsl line in using a pci card like the old days type stuff and then run a single rj45 card to a switch, would that even work or is it a pipe dream? I know most of the ins and outs of assembly of computer hardware and i know that those old dial up cards are useless these days, but is there any way i can do this? i have gone through 4 new routers in the last 2 years where i live and ive had enough, they cost too much to keep replacing and they refuse to warranty them even though i dont mess with them or open them up. ANY responses are welcome and all ideas are as well

I dont think they make PCIe Modem cards. So any way you look at it you will still need a DSL modem to get it to Ethernet. To be honest most of the DSL boxes I have seen are Gateways that means they include a router as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I dont think they make PCIe Modem cards. So any way you look at it you will still need a DSL modem to get it to Ethernet. To be honest most of the DSL boxes I have seen are Gateways that means they include a router as well. 

2 of my local shops sell this card, but it would be much easier going a modem router with a surge protector if thats how theyre dying 

https://www.draytek.com/products/vigornic-132/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 hours ago, Jarsky said:

2 of my local shops sell this card, but it would be much easier going a modem router with a surge protector if thats how theyre dying 

https://www.draytek.com/products/vigornic-132/

Lets see if your ISP will provision it. Thats going to be the trick. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Lets see if your ISP will provision it. Thats going to be the trick. 

As far as my ISP is concerned its just a router. My ISP uses the lines ASID (Port based) to authenticate.  Just configure your VCI/VPI/Multiplexing/PPP settings, and it will authenticate on most DSL networks. In my case my ISP uses G.Vectoring, but this card supports that. It would generally only be an issue if your ISP does mac address filtering to restrict what devices can be connected to their network, but you could just spoof that anyway. 

In my country there is a differentiation between the infrastructure (wholesale) and the service (retail). You can use any device you like on the networks as long as theyre compatible. Mainly because customers are constantly churning between Retail providers who give them the best deal.

Spoiler

Spoiler