What is the purpose of the female connector on this PCI networking card?

terrance69

Hi friends. Happy Sunday!!

I ordered a wireless networking card.

When I was looking to see what's available, I noticed some cards have a female socket on them; like the one below.

What is it for please?

Thank you so much

61yUpZlvn2L._SL1001_.jpg

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

looks like 4pin fan header to me

Not a fan header.

Looks like a connector for internal antennas. Read the product description.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not a fan header.

ah, makes more sense

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not a fan header.

Why would you assume that I haven't yet came here to ask? It won't say what is.. but thanks for the tip!

3 minutes ago, terrance69 said:

Why would you assume that I haven't yet came here to ask? It won't say what is.. but thanks for the tip!

Do you have a link? Maybe the manufacturer's website will have more info. Try contacting the seller.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Do you have a link? Maybe the manufacturer's website will have more info. Try contacting the seller.

Or ask here, lol?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I really appreciate you trying to help.

I did contact the seller.

Here in France no one is working today though.

Hoping Chinese sellers might respond !

Here are 3 links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860932571.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978379492.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904768467.html

5 minutes ago, terrance69 said:

I really appreciate you trying to help.

I did contact the seller.

Here in France no one is working today though.

Hoping Chinese sellers might respond !

Here are 3 links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860932571.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978379492.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904768467.html

Turns out I was wrong. It appears to be a cable that connects it to an internal USB 2 header. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, maybe power delivery or something to do with Bluetooth since my wifi-only card doesn't have that cable (complete guess).

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

DeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721100913.thumb.png.d0caec8aac834f75c499e895e3272be0.pngDeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721101027.thumb.png.20cbd9da580781450b67f3ffa1d45947.pngDeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721101059.thumb.png.af8b88060cb1ac8704d5b49c59702ec6.png

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Turns out I was wrong. It appears to be a cable that connects it to an internal USB 2 header. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, maybe power delivery or something to do with Bluetooth since my wifi-only card doesn't have that cable (complete guess).

Bluetooth is it.

56 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

looks like 4pin fan header to me

Not even remotely close to a fan header.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

33 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It is likely a USB 2.0 connector for the Bluetooth interface. Bluetooth has to be connected to USB. NGFF PCIe doesn't have it's own PCIe-to-USB chip, though they could have done so. These "adapter" cards are meant for placing PCIe cards (eg M2 SDD's, WLAN, WiFi or WiFi+BT cards) in them. You still need support from the chipset connected. So like in the case of the Intel 7xxx and 9xxx parts, the chipset already has the other "half" of the wifi part in the PCH. To connect to the Bluetooth part of the chip it needs to also be plugged into a USB port on the motherboard. In a laptop this would already be part of the system motherboard.

M2-NGFF-Mini-PCi-E-to-PCi-E-Wireless-WiF

38 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Spoiler

Advanced issues found

Reveal hidden contents

DeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721100913.thumb.png.d0caec8aac834f75c499e895e3272be0.pngDeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721101027.thumb.png.20cbd9da580781450b67f3ffa1d45947.pngDeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20190721101059.thumb.png.af8b88060cb1ac8704d5b49c59702ec6.png

Well you may be well right. It still feels strange that it would need external power delivery.

May I use which wireless networking card do you use?

24 minutes ago, terrance69 said:

Well you may be well right. It still feels strange that it would need external power delivery.

May I use which wireless networking card do you use?

Not sure, some D-link AC card. Basically anything from D-link and TP-link is fine, as are most Asus ones.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I found the answer !!

The power does come from the PCI-E pins.

The 4 pin connector is the Bluetooth data connection to the PC appartently.

Thank you friends !