Workstation Video Card Vs. Gaming Video Cards

awesomeness1919

Hey guys I would really appreciate a semi quick but detailed explanation on the differences between these two types of video cards and the pros and cons of each if possible. I am also curious how they work since I have seen some demos showing a workstation card with less CUDA cores and a lower frequency beat a GTX 670 at a lowest cost.

I am looking for a graphics card for a Desktop or Laptop that would benefit from 3D modelling on a light to medium scale.

Hey guys I would really appreciate a semi quick but detailed explanation on the differences between these two types of video cards and the pros and cons of each if possible. I am also curious how they work since I have seen some demos showing a workstation card with less CUDA cores and a lower frequency beat a GTX 670 at a lowest cost.

I am looking for a graphics card for a Desktop or Laptop that would benefit from 3D modelling on a light to medium scale.

work station cards: 3d editing and rendering but you cant game on them 

gaming cards: gaming (uder) but their also very good for cuda cores in editing pcs 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I've looked at gaming benchmarks for workstation cards and they're pretty poor, for the cost of the card.

I believe workstation cards are generally more stable, and are designed to be on for longer periods of time without having any crashing or failure issues.

I'd be interested to see the cards that beat the gtx 670. Do you have a link?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There was literally just a post on this earlier today. Read through and you'll find some very good answers.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108337-professional-vs-consumer-gpus/

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Well, I don't think that you can get a workstation grade card in a laptop. But the Quadro K4000 would be a good choice. 

work station cards: 3d editing and rendering but you cant game on them 

gaming cards: gaming (uder) but their also very good for cuda cores in editing pcs 

(If it is a typo, I apologize)

You can game on a editing card (Firepro/Quadro) perfectly fine. Not as well as the GTX series, but it will run perfectly fine.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

NVIDIA workstation cards have all their double-precision floating point cores unlocked which is important for 3D work and science applications.  They also have ECC memory, which consumer cards do not have.  The drivers are also built differently, and they are tested and validated much more thoroughly.

(If it is a typo, I apologize)

You can game on a editing card (Firepro/Quadro) perfectly fine. Not as well as the GTX series, but it will run perfectly fine.

quadros will die if you try and game on them too long so its not worth taking the risk on a $600+ editing card 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Workstation cards are validated for more things and are a higher bin of chip, they will run cooler and are incredibly well looked after in terms of drivers. They will work with just about every program, motherboard, CPU, they are tested profusely and will most likely last longer. They cost more and they perform worse in a gaming situation, much worse.

if you are looking to play games as well as do 3D work then you should buy a gaming grade GPU, the downside could be lack of support. Realistically if you wish to do 3D work and game then you should have two cards or two computers. But I understand that that is stupid expensive and it doesn't make any sense if you only do light or little 3D work.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

quadros will die if you try and game on them too long so its not worth taking the risk on a $600+ editing card 

I would like to see proof of this. I honestly never seen anyone say that before.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

That is BS.  I have ran MW2, MW3 and Black Ops off a FX2500m and it is still running perfectly fine.   There is almost no hardware difference between the 2 cards. Professional cards have 10 bit colour, ECC memory and validated drivers. This means LESS FPS, not No gaming.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

A workstation card is specifically engineered to run in a heavy 3D rending and video editing scenario. A Quadro/Firepro card is used to it's maximum potential when used in heavy 3D programs such as high-poly CAD models, high-res animation and 3D editing. You can game on the workstation cards, but the card's BIOS and drivers will not enable the card to render the game as effectively as a GeForce/Radeon gaming card.

A gaming card (GeForce and Radeon) has it's drivers written specifically to enable maximum performance in gaming scenarios. The gaming cards also have the added ability to be used in some light to medium-high workstation scenarios with CUDA and OpenCL with Nvidia and AMD respectively.

Workstation Cards
Pros
- DESTROY in heavy 3D applications
- Excellent for general GPU computing and rendering with hardware acceleration

- 10bit colour in the Quadro cards (don't know about Firepro but I can only assume they do)

Cons
- Are not geared towards games due to drivers and not as effectively utilised.

Gaming Cards
Pros
- GREAT for gaming
- Are very efficient in light to medium rendering

Cons
In heavy GPU 3D rendering and hardware acceleration scenarios, they are not very efficient at that.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I would like to see proof of this. I honestly never seen anyone say that before.

I would too. It would be interesting to see how anyone will try and sell that. (I know for a fact that it is false, and from personal experience).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

theres plenty of videos of people playing on quadros and stuff but they heat up allot 80deg+ and with all that heat that their giving off they will degrade quicker thus its not worth the risk 

Specs

That is BS.  I have ran MW2, MW3 and Black Ops off a FX2500m and it is still running perfectly fine.   There is almost no hardware difference between the 2 cards. Professional cards have 10 bit colour, ECC memory and validated drivers. This means LESS FPS, not No gaming.

but the quadros arnt meant for gaming more for 3d rendering and its just not worth running the risk of damaging them by doing it but this is just my opinion though 

Specs

theres plenty of videos of people playing on quadros and stuff but they heat up allot 80deg+ and with all that heat that their giving off they will degrade quicker thus its not worth the risk 

That is your proof they will die in game?  Have you tried playing on a 6970 or 480 reference without jacking the fan speed up? It will hit north of 85 in minutes. So they can't game either? 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

but the quadros arnt meant for gaming more for 3d rendering and its just not worth running the risk of damaging them by doing it but this is just my opinion though 

Being meant for it or not does not mean they will not run it. You can certainly use say 3dmax on a GTX, and you can game on a Quadro. They are not the intended uses for these cards, but they will work just fine (and a lot of time the performance elsewhere, like CAD is more impoertant than the gaming performance, when you only have a single laptop, like I do.)

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

That is your proof they will die in game?  Have you tried playing on a 6970 or 480 reference without jacking the fan speed up? It will hit north of 85 in minutes. So they can't game either? 

im not saying that when they heat up their all doomed. but quadros are a expensive editing professional level card that isnt intended for being used in gaming but why would you get a quadro for gaming when you can get a good gaming gpu for the same price and not run the risk of destroying it because its intended for heating up so much under loads from games  

Specs

im not saying that when they heat up their all doomed. but quadros are a expensive editing professional level card that isnt intended for being used in gaming but why would you get a quadro for gaming when you can get a good gaming gpu for the same price and not run the risk of destroying it because its intended for heating up so much under loads from games  

There are a couple of reasons for that. You can't get 10 bit colour outside of Quadros (and I assume firepro, but have never tried on HD series). You don't get ECC memory on GTX or HD****/R7/R9. You don't get certified drivers on GTX series cards.  If you make a living off the laptop, a lot of times you will just end up gaming on the Quadro instead of buying a separate GTX based one (besides, the performance is not that far behind in some cases. MW2 and MW3 run single player maxxed out at 1200p perfectly fine (as in it never stuttered a single time) on a FX2500m. While I do not have a 7900m GTX to test against, it would probably not be more than 10FPS away.)

The temps, I would be willing to bet on the desktop series that if you run the fans outside the stock profile, it would run even with reference GTX series cards. I don't have one to try though, but I would be willing to test one in game if I had one.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Sheldon_King
Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

80 degrees is hardly hot though. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White