The Corsair CX 750M: Can It Use A Modular EPS12V Cable?

As the title asks, can a Type 4 to 8-pin (4+4) EPS12V modular cable be used on a Corsair CX 750M?

On the power supply itself it says one of the two Type 4 modular connectors can be used for a 4+4 CPU connection. However, on Corsair's compatibility website (link: Corsair PSU Compatibility Chart) it seems to say that a Type 4 to 8-pin (4+4) EPS12V cable is NOT compatible (unless I am reading that chart wrong). 

And even then, I tried looking on Corsair's website for a Type 4 to 8-pin (4+4) EPS12V, only to discover there are no retailers for it (I set myself up to be notified when / if it ever returns to stock). Link: Type 4 to 8-pin Modular Cable

In the end, I just want to know whether getting that cable would work or not, and whether or not it is safe to do so, since the Corsair compatibility chart makes me question my logic. May be a dumb question, but since it's a power supply I DO NOT want to screw this up. 

For clarity, I just got an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU combined for $199.99. While I know utilizing the extra 4-pin CPU connector is for overclocking, I eventually want to try doing that with either a Ryzen 7 1700X or Ryzen 7 2700X, hence why I want to know if the modular EPS12V cable is plausible.

Thanks for reading through my confusion! Sorry for being an ignoramus in this department :P

25 minutes ago, Darkroe said:

While I know utilizing the extra 4-pin CPU connector is for overclocking

It's not for overclocking, it's for marketing. It does as much for overclocking as RGB. 

:)

56 minutes ago, Darkroe said:

For clarity, I just got an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU combined for $199.99. While I know utilizing the extra 4-pin CPU connector is for overclocking, I eventually want to try doing that with either a Ryzen 7 1700X or Ryzen 7 2700X, hence why I want to know if the modular EPS12V cable is plausible.

Thanks for reading through my confusion! Sorry for being an ignoramus in this department :P

The extra 4-pin is absolutely unnecessary for overclocking under any normal conditions. A normal 8-pin EPS connector can handle well over 250W (384W is typical for high-end boards like the C6H) and you won't be able to make a Ryzen 8-core pull near that much power. I have a Crosshair VI Hero and 1700X and the chip comfortably runs at 4GHz/1.385V without any issues regarding power delivery.

Don't apologize for being new to certain parts of this, all of us were at some point and asking questions is a good way to learn ?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

• 9 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 1:10 AM, TheSLSAMG said:

The extra 4-pin is absolutely unnecessary for overclocking under any normal conditions. A normal 8-pin EPS connector can handle well over 250W (384W is typical for high-end boards like the C6H) and you won't be able to make a Ryzen 8-core pull near that much power. I have a Crosshair VI Hero and 1700X and the chip comfortably runs at 4GHz/1.385V without any issues regarding power delivery.

Don't apologize for being new to certain parts of this, all of us were at some point and asking questions is a good way to learn ?

Fun Fact: Ended up having D.O.C.P. / X.M.P. profile instability with my RAM (both kits (I have 2 now); tested them individually). Monitored things and I noticed voltage randomly dipped at the exact moments of instability. At stock BIOS settings, this was not an issue; voltage was consistent. Updated BIOS to the most recent version, same issues. Decided to get the extra CPU cable, just because. Instability is now gone. Voltages are consistent. I don't understand xD.

Looked a little deeper online about voltage drops on the Crosshair VI Hero and saw that it is a rare issue some of these motherboards face, and that plugging in the 4 pin CPU connector fixes it in nearly all instances of the problem. People mentioned LLC, but I don't know what that is (yet; after my finals I'll teach myself what that is).

So conclusion: The power supply does support the extra CPU cable, and for some reason having it plugged in fixed D.O.C.P. / X.M.P. profiles and manual overclocking stability issues.