CAN IT GIGABIT FILE TRANSFER OVER WIFI?

HEY GUYS I AM NEW HERE,IN MY HOME I HAVE 2 ROUTERS ONE IN LIVING ROOM HAS 2.4GHZ BAND THAT COVER ENTIRE HOME GOT HARD LESSON WHEN MY OLD PHONE THAT IS MY DIY HOME TELEPHONE LOL? DIDN'T SUPPORT 5GHZ WITH MY NOT SO OLD AC(ACTUAL AC)(WITH SPEED LIMITS?) AND 5GHZ FOR MY BEDROOM WHERE I DO WORK(FULL SPEED) ALONG WITH A MEGER 2Mbps GUEST NETWORK BY THE WAY I HAVE 25Mbps UNLIMITED PLAN.

I HAVE A SPARE ROUTER WHICH HAS 802.11AC STANDARD OF SO HIGH GARBAGE SPEED ALSO WITH A INTEL NUC(QUAD CORE) AND LATER RASPBERRY PI 4(FUTURE) IF I ADD A SSD(YOU SAY 2.5INCH SATA(PI4)OR NVME(NUC) ) CAN USE IT AS SOLO HOME NAS ON A SEPARATE WIFI CHANNEL OTHER THAN MY LIVING ROOM ROUTER AND USE IT CAN I GET GIGABIT SPEED(~300+MBPS BYTES NOT BITS)OF MY LOCAL MOVIES/HOME CLOUD OR SO CALL BACKUP WITH MULTIPLE PEOPLE USING IT.

THANKS ANYWAY IT IS MY FIRST POST AND I KNOW ABOUT TECH A BIT.

THANKS!!!

Just now, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

HEY GUYS I AM NEW HERE,IN MY HOME I HAVE 2 ROUTERS ONE IN LIVING ROOM HAS 2.4GHZ BAND THAT COVER ENTIRE HOME GOT HARD LESSON WHEN MY OLD PHONE THAT IS MY DIY HOME TELEPHONE LOL? DIDN'T SUPPORT 5GHZ WITH MY NOT SO OLD AC(ACTUAL AC)(WITH SPEED LIMITS?) AND 5GHZ FOR MY BEDROOM WHERE I DO WORK(FULL SPEED) ALONG WITH A MEGER 2Mbps GUEST NETWORK BY THE WAY I HAVE 25Mbps UNLIMITED PLAN.

I HAVE A SPARE ROUTER WHICH HAS 802.11AC STANDARD OF SO HIGH GARBAGE SPEED ALSO WITH A INTEL NUC(QUAD CORE) AND LATER RASPBERRY PI 4(FUTURE) IF I ADD A SSD(YOU SAY 2.5INCH SATA(PI4)OR NVME(NUC) ) CAN USE IT AS SOLO HOME NAS ON A SEPARATE WIFI CHANNEL OTHER THAN MY LIVING ROOM ROUTER AND USE IT CAN I GET GIGABIT SPEED(~300+MBPS BYTES NOT BITS)OF MY LOCAL MOVIES/HOME CLOUD OR SO CALL BACKUP WITH MULTIPLE PEOPLE USING IT.

THANKS!!!

turn off caps lock and please try again.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

GIGABIT IS 1000MBPS IIRC SO YEAH. 802.11AC SUPPORTS WELL ABOVE THAT ON A LOT OF ROUTERS, SO ON YOUR LOCAL NETWORK AND WITH A SOLID CONNECTION YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRANSFER STUFF TO LIKE, A NAS OR SOMETHING AT THAT SPEED. AS FOR WHAT YOUR ISP PROVIDES, THAT DEPENDS ON THE PLAN YOU HAVE, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GIGABIT PLAN YOU WON'T SUDDENLY GET GIGABIT SPEEDS WITH AN 802.11AC ROUTER. EVEN IF YOU DO YOU MIGHT NOT DEPENDING ON HOW MANY DEVICES YOU HAVE DOING WHAT AND WHAT YOUR CONNECTION TO THE ROUTER IS LIKE, THEY TEND TO HATE WALLS AND WIRES AND ANY METAL AND SUCH. AN ETHERNET CABLE STRAIGHT TO YOUR ROUTER/MODEM LADS IS USUALLY THE BEST OPTION FOR THE FASTEST AND MOST RELIABLE CONNECTION YOU CAN GET. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

THANKS!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I SUGGEST A CABLE CONNECTION FOR YOUR NAS TO THE ROUTER

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

7 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

what?

Just now, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

what?

Its a joke. We make fun of people who leave caps lock on. Mostly because it is hard to read.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

1 minute ago, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

what?

Oh, you got your sanity back, uh. I edited the post because I clicked post on accident..

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

GIGABIT IS 1000MBPS IIRC SO YEAH. 802.11AC SUPPORTS WELL ABOVE THAT ON A LOT OF ROUTERS, SO ON YOUR LOCAL NETWORK AND WITH A SOLID CONNECTION YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRANSFER STUFF TO LIKE, A NAS OR SOMETHING AT THAT SPEED. AS FOR WHAT YOUR ISP PROVIDES, THAT DEPENDS ON THE PLAN YOU HAVE, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GIGABIT PLAN YOU WON'T SUDDENLY GET GIGABIT SPEEDS WITH AN 802.11AC ROUTER. EVEN IF YOU DO YOU MIGHT NOT DEPENDING ON HOW MANY DEVICES YOU HAVE DOING WHAT AND WHAT YOUR CONNECTION TO THE ROUTER IS LIKE, THEY TEND TO HATE WALLS AND WIRES AND ANY METAL AND SUCH. AN ETHERNET CABLE STRAIGHT TO YOUR ROUTER/MODEM LADS IS USUALLY THE BEST OPTION FOR THE FASTEST AND MOST RELIABLE CONNECTION YOU CAN GET. 

If i use cat 6 cable with supported router and as only local lan network(no connect to isp) with my nuc can it?

Just now, will4623 said:

Its a joke. We make fun of people who leave caps lock on. Mostly because it is hard to read.

Hey, you're not supposed to tell people when I make fun of them :P

7 minutes ago, will4623 said:

sorry, remember next time

4 minutes ago, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

If i use cat 6 cable with supported router and as only local lan network(no connect to isp) with my nuc can it?

You don't need cat6

Regular cat5e is cheaper and good enough

Just FYI, 300MB/s is about 2.4Gbps and you would need 802.11AC Wave 2 or 802.11AX gear along with some mGig switches to get anywhere near that.

802.11AC on traditional consumer routers won't come anywhere near that, it won't even come anywhere near gigabit speeds in the real world. You'll need some Wave 2 MU-MIMO gear and pretty close proximity to hit anything close to gigabit or up on wireless.

Unless you're streaming raw 4K content you don't need more than 100Mbps local speed and gigabit will just give you extra headroom.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, ONE WHO LOVE TECH said:

If you're using a gigabit cable (aka just a standard ethernet boye) with a gigabit router to a gigabit port on your computers with SSDs that are capable of reading and writing at gigabit speeds you should be able to transfer data at/near gigabit speeds. Most SSD/HDD setups aren't gonna read and write that fast but it'll still be hella speedy. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you're using a gigabit cable (aka just a standard ethernet boye) with a gigabit router to a gigabit port on your computers with SSDs that are capable of reading and writing at gigabit speeds you should be able to transfer data at/near gigabit speeds. Most SSD/HDD setups aren't gonna read and write that fast but it'll still be hella speedy. 

Actually a single 2TB 7200RPM HDD can easily saturate a gigabit link when reading large files from it and larger capacity drives able to push 200MB/s and beyond, depending on the file size and whatnot of course. Most SSDs these days can hit 500MB/s and generally hover in the 300MB/s to 400MB/s range for read and writes of large sequential files.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

37 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

You don't need cat6

Regular cat5e is cheaper and good enough

tough.

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

tough.

?

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

?

slightly off day. means I am gonna do it anyway.