Help overclocking memory on X99 with 5820k?

Hey all, so I'm running a 5820k (OC to 4.5GHz all cores) in an Asus X99-Deluxe and I just got new memory that I'm trying to run.  The memory is 2 matching kits of 2x8GB 3200 MHz 16-18-18-38 1.35V DDR4 from Crucial, and from what testing I've done so far, the memory seems fine to boot at its rated specs with my board/CPU combination. 

The issue comes when putting it under any load while its running those specs, specifically in quad-channel configuration.  Putting up any real load causes the computer to lock up and either blue screen or just hard lock till I force it off.  I've tested both kits separately and they both work at the rated specs under load, specifically in dual-channel config, able to get through memtest without any issues.  So I thought it was something to do with running all 4 sticks at the rated speed together.  Tested it last night with all 4 sticks in the board in dual-channel config (all on one side of the CPU) and it worked flawlessly.  So I'm confused, I had been running quad-channel memory before (with a 2400MHz 4x4GB kit, can't remember the specific specs right now) and now it seems like there is too much pressure on the memory controller to push quad-channel with the kits I have now, or maybe any kits at all.  I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing to get quad-channel to work, I've just been adjusting the voltage of the DRAM channels to the 1.35V from the specs and essentially matching the XMP specs.  

Just seems strange/not right to me that I've been able to get the 4 sticks running together in dual-channel and not in quad-channel.  I don't think this has anything to do with CPU instability (aside from the memory controller), I've been running the same conservative OC for a long time and everything is watercooled (custom loop).  I can get specific settings I was trying for all the secondary timings later tonight but I'm just wondering if there's a key thing I'm missing or if dual-channel is just easier/more stable and I probably won't have any luck with quad-channel for these kits.  

Thanks for any insight!

Hi! I have the same doubt as you. I would very much like to know if there is something to do about it. 

I have my 5820K @ 4.4ghz and can't overclock my Corsair's LPX 2666mhz over 2400mhz. It is simply not stable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, ShaLipe said:

Hi! I have the same doubt as you. I would very much like to know if there is something to do about it. 

I have my 5820K @ 4.4ghz and can't overclock my Corsair's LPX 2666mhz over 2400mhz. It is simply not stable.

@ShaLipe

Hey, so I ended up figuring out what was holding my system back, I was running two non-matched dual channel kits, so it wasn't guaranteed that they would work in quad channel even though they were the same SKU.  I ended up returning them for a quad channel kit of 3200 MHz CL16 RAM (the HyperX Predator RGB kit).  Also had some issues running that with my system until I turned off SpeedStep in BIOS for my overclock.  Once SpeedStep was off I redid my overclock and I'm currently running 4.6 GHz at 1.335 V with the memory running at the XMP specs.  1.335 V is a lot lower than I was managing to run before, so turning off SpeedStep fixed the issues I was having completely.  Its a bummer that my power consumption will be higher at idle now but the system is faster overall and I have more OC headroom for when I have time to play with it, I was managing to run 4.7 all core at 1.335 V for about a week before I crashed while playing Forza Horizon 4 and dropped the OC to 4.6 just to avoid having to do more troubleshooting.  Other than the core OC and voltage changes I'm running XMP settings, though my cache maximum multiplier is set to 40 up from the 36 that XMP applied, I could probably go higher though.  

Basically turning off SpeedStep fixed all my issues, improved OC stability, and gave me a lot of OC headroom on my cooling setup if I decide I want to take advantage of it.  I currently don't have anything turned off of Auto in my BIOS OC settings aside from core voltage and multipliers.

Thanks for the input. That's nice that you got it fixed. ;)