B450 or X470/X570 for Ryzen 7 3700X?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
17 minutes ago, ukyo13 said:

Cool, so I don't necessarily need a X470/X570? The Tomahawk should be able to handle the 3700X just fine?

My mistake, the Mortar and tomahawk use the same power delivery. Your original selection is fine.

I've decided to upgrade from my old A10-5800k and build a new PC.

I initially thought about getting a Ryzen 5 3600 but thought that it might be better to just get a Ryzen 7 3700X. I'll mostly be gaming but also do some productivity stuff (like edit photos, videos, audio recording, programming, etc).

I have a Zowie XL2411 Monitor (1080p 144Hz) so I plan on getting an AMD RX 5700 XT as well. 

My main concern though is the motherboard. Would a B450 motherboard be fine? Or do I need to invest on a X470/X570 board?

Here's my planned build:

CPU Ryzen 7 3700X
MOBO MSI B450M Mortar
MEMORY Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB 3200Mhz
M.2 Adata XPG SX6000 256GB NVME M.2
PSU Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W Semi Modular

Note: I know there are some parts missing since I'll be reusing some parts from my old PC like the HDD

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, ukyo13 said:

MOBO  MSI B450M Mortar

The mortar is weaksauce, shoot for the tomahawk. It's more feature rich with better power delivery.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

40 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The mortar is weaksauce, shoot for the tomahawk. It's more feature rich with better power delivery.

Cool, so I don't necessarily need a X470/X570? The Tomahawk should be able to handle the 3700X just fine?

The Mortar is fine.

12 minutes ago, ukyo13 said:

Yes, don't expect a hefty overclock but it has decent delivery to allow Precision Boost to increase the clocks a fair amount.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, ukyo13 said:

My mistake, the Mortar and tomahawk use the same power delivery. Your original selection is fine.

Primary PC:

Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I don't really plan to overclock, precision boost might be fine with me and I don't really need the extra PCIe slot so I didn't want to pay extra for the Tomahawk