8700K Temps double instantaneously

Just as title says, my 8700K temps double instantly at times whenever cpu usage spikes, for example when going from idle to loading chrome it will go from 47c idle to 80-90c.

My specs are as follows:

I7-8700K OC'D 4.9GHZ 1.32v

GTX 1070Ti

ASUS Z370-A

Corsair LPX 16GB

NZXT Kraken X62 (don't recommend NZXT to anyone)

I have had this problem since I first built the rig and have taken it apart countless times, reapplied thermal paste countless times.

I'm 100% sure the pump is working and the fans are certainly active. I don't have any idea why or how this is happening, I would appreciate any insight. This has been bugging me again because I've noticed my FPS and performance isn't nearly where I expect it to be with a rig like this (dipping below 100 FPS in Overwatch at lowest settings 1080p) and I'm sure somethings up. Aside from this, my RAM seems to be having issues as well with a below average score on userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18483467

Even after enabling 3000mhz XMP in the BIOS, the score only increased marginally.

I guess this thread is a bit more than the CPU temp troubles but thats my main concern, I plan to take this baby apart one more time and check for the 219282th time that theres nothing wrong with contact on the block.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

3 minutes ago, cadd said:

Just as title says, my 8700K temps double instantly at times whenever cpu usage spikes, for example when going from idle to loading chrome it will go from 47c idle to 80-90c.

My specs are as follows:

I7-8700K OC'D 4.9GHZ 1.32v

GTX 1070Ti

ASUS Z370-A

Corsair LPX 16GB

NZXT Kraken X62 (don't recommend NZXT to anyone)

I have had this problem since I first built the rig and have taken it apart countless times, reapplied thermal paste countless times.

I'm 100% sure the pump is working and the fans are certainly active. I don't have any idea why or how this is happening, I would appreciate any insight. This has been bugging me again because I've noticed my FPS and performance isn't nearly where I expect it to be with a rig like this (dipping below 100 FPS in Overwatch at lowest settings 1080p) and I'm sure somethings up. Aside from this, my RAM seems to be having issues as well with a below average score on userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18483467

Even after enabling 3000mhz XMP in the BIOS, the score only increased marginally.

I guess this thread is a bit more than the CPU temp troubles but thats my main concern, I plan to take this baby apart one more time and check for the 219282th time that theres nothing wrong with contact on the block.

i had this issue with AIO aswell. moved to air and didnt bother more with it. its like it cant disapate the heat fast enough when a spike comes. 

You are idling at 47c??? Those are the temps I get under load with a 240AIO. What is your homes ambient temperature? 

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

around 20c 

1 minute ago, Fakmykak said:

You are idling at 47c??? Those are the temps I get under load with a 240AIO. What is your homes ambient temperature? 

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

20c is not bad at all. What case do you have? Does it have good airflow? Or is it one of those with blocked off panels for the sake of tempered glass and RGB. Have you checked your fans to make sure that none of them are dead?

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Make sure your block is mounted correctly and your fan profile is appropriate

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x