Blender Rendering With Tesla Cards?

Hey all, just curious about rendering with Blender on Tesla video cards.  What would the performance be comparable to, and have you tried it?  The reason I'm looking is mainly high VRAM amounts, and lower price compared to Quadro cards.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Just now, Masman8675 said:

Hey all, just curious about rendering with Blender on Tesla video cards.  What would the performance be comparable to, and have you tried it?  The reason I'm looking is mainly high VRAM amounts, and lower price compared to Quadro cards.

The K10/20/40 cards on deep discount at Newegg?  I think they are just Graphics Accelerators...can you Render with them?  (I don't know, curious myself) - I do know my brother said they are not good miners however.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Advanced issues found

Just now, Tristerin said:

The K10/20/40 cards on deep discount at Newegg?

I'm looking at the used market right now, I maybe should have clarified. :P

Just now, Masman8675 said:

I'm looking at the used market right now, I maybe should have clarified. :P

Was asking because they are 12gb and 16gb and super cheap on Neweggflash at the moment and was looking at them recently myself for a potential miner solution over Radeon VIIs lol.  (but apparently they do not hash well)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

LInks? 

THe teslas will normally preform about the same as a geoforce cards with simmilar specs, so a k40 is basically a 780ti/titan with more vram. 

Id stay away unless its super cheap and you want to deal with the server gpu issues(no display out, needs very fast case fans, often uses cpu power connects, not pcie ones)

You can get gpus like a used 780ti for very cheap now and its about the same speed.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

LInks? 

THe teslas will normally preform about the same as a geoforce cards with simmilar specs, so a k40 is basically a 780ti/titan with more vram. 

Id stay away unless its super cheap and you want to deal with the server gpu issues(no display out, needs very fast case fans, often uses cpu power connects, not pcie ones)

You can get gpus like a used 780ti for very cheap now and its about the same speed.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NVIDIA-Tesla-K40M-12GB-Active-Cooling-CUDA-GPU/202285825447?hash=item2f192cbda7:g:oWsAAOSwgAxazcDi
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NVIDIA-Tesla-K80-24GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-3-0-x16-Server-GPU-Accelerator-Card-CUDA/362694638593?hash=item547248fc01:g:2xgAAOSwFSNcVzE0

I was comparing to Quadros really.  I need large RAM amounts for rendering, so I was thinking if a Tesla did the job, that would be great.

1 minute ago, Masman8675 said:

Well these won't be that fast, so a dual/quad xeon system might be a better option if you need a fast rendering system with lots of ram.

Many of these are dual gpus cards, so you only have the effective ram of one card.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well these won't be that fast, so a dual/quad xeon system might be a better option if you need a fast rendering system with lots of ram.

Many of these are dual gpus cards, so you only have the effective ram of one card.

Yes, it likely would.  Just seeing what options are out there to evaluate things.  Ya, the Quadros are nice because they can pool RAM.  If I go the GPU rendering route, I'll most likely get one or two Quadros.  CPU rendering would likely be a good Ryzen CPU or Xeon(s).  Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, Masman8675 said:

Ya, the Quadros are nice because they can pool RAM

Can they on the old models? I know the new ones with nvlink can, but Those are way more expensive than these used cards. Doing ram pooling over pcie is gonna be slow.

3 hours ago, Masman8675 said:

I have two Tesla C2050s that I frequently use. They perform about the same in Blender Cycles as a 1070 despite being Fermi.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Absolutely 100% wrong. GG tho nice try

1 hour ago, BleachedFur said:

would you like to show numbers? Do you have a 480/580 to comapare it against?

If you look on blender benchmark sites like this one, http://blenchmark.com/gpu-benchmarks The fermi teslas are about the same as the gtx cards with the same chips.

Also dual vs single card is a bad comparison. 

2 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

he's actually correct where it's the same GPU die that's been used normally there are more features (10-bit VDI support etc), and the drivers tend to lag a little behind performance wise (but are alot more stable).

In other cases where it's a different die being used. yes he is wrong.

Don't know why this is a logical leap for people.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a 480/580 to comapare it against?

Blender does not support compute with AMD devices. Having an AMD card requires OpenCL and it is much slower than nVidia CUDA.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you look on blender benchmark sites like this one, http://blenchmark.com/gpu-benchmarks The fermi teslas are about the same as the gtx cards with the same chips.

those sites are poorly maintained and utter shit.

In my personal experience the Tesla is often one area ahead during Cycles. This is because of drivers.

Electronics Wizardry? More like Electronics Misinformation. Even a Quadro P1000 (which uses the same unlocked drivers as the Teslas do) outperforms a GTX 1060, despite being based on GP107.

8 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

Blender does not support compute with AMD devices. Having an AMD card requires OpenCL and it is much slower than nVidia CUDA.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

I meant the gtx 480 and 580, the cards with the same die as your tesla.

Though opencl has the same feature set and does prefrom well in blender cycles

those sites are poorly maintained and utter shit.

Well how about this then? 

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3399-best-workstation-gpus-2018-for-adobe-premiere-autocad-vray-and-more

Quadros are about the same or a bit slower than the gtx cards

n my personal experience the Tesla is often one area ahead during Cycles. This is because of drivers.

Do you have any numbers to support that, and every source I can find shows the teslas, quadros and gtx cards with the same dies and cores enabled will prefrom simmilar in cycles.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Quadros are about the same or a bit slower than the gtx cards

old data. Quadros and Teslas should be a LOT faster when using CUDA instead of OpenCL.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have any numbers to support that, and every source I can find shows the teslas, quadros and gtx cards with the same dies and cores enabled will prefrom simmilar in cycles.

yeah that video I posted where the crappy quadro outperforms a 1060

yeah that video I posted where the crappy quadro outperforms a 1060

But thats not blender and were talking about blender cycles. Where in that that video does it show blender?

old data. Quadros and Teslas should be a LOT faster when using CUDA instead of OpenCL.

This depends on the program, but on blender its the about the same as blender doesn't use any of the features that teslas or quadros are better at. Got any data to show blender being much faster on quadros or teslas?

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Where in that that video does it show blender?

it doesn't. The point is that the quadros have SPECIAL DRIVERS, something you're COMPLETELY IGNORING.

25 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

it doesn't. The point is that the quadros have SPECIAL DRIVERS, something you're COMPLETELY IGNORING.

Special driver, not magical driver. This is from 2 months ago. 

>P1000 outperform GTX1060.
>P2000 slower than RX590.

On 7/16/2019 at 2:54 PM, BleachedFur said:

lmao. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Does anyone have a Tesla that could run a Blender benchmark scene?  That's really all I want. :P

If so, how well does it perform?

19 hours ago, Masman8675 said:

Does anyone have a Tesla that could run a Blender benchmark scene?  That's really all I want. :P

If so, how well does it perform?

I have two Tesla C2050s. I have a test file that takes two 1070s 22 minutes to render with Cycles. If you give me time (because I am a busy person), I can run the benchmark.

5 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

I have two Tesla C2050s. I have a test file that takes two 1070s 22 minutes to render with Cycles. If you give me time (because I am a busy person), I can run the benchmark.

Ya, when you're able to, that would be great!

3 hours ago, Masman8675 said:

I'll let you know when I finish it.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, Masman8675 said:

Sorry for the delay, I've been using them non stop for the last month or so (before you even posted this topic) and haven't had time to give them a proper bench.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, BleachedFur said:

Sorry for the delay, I've been using them non stop for the last month or so (before you even posted this topic) and haven't had time to give them a proper bench.

No worries!  Would you be able to give the BMW and Classroom benches a go too/instead?  Perhaps also see what power percentage SheepIt places it at?  Thanks!