PBT v. ABS

calarahil

I'm currently keeping  a eye on replacement keycaps or even a new keyboard. I have a G710+ but I wouldn't mind having a spare mechancial keyboard laying around a Cherry MX Blue maybe I love the browns but it would be nice to have something a little different.

I noticed that Ducky has PBT models and their normal Shine models have ABS caps. Are PBT Caps worth the premium? I had an issue with my G710+ where the keycap broke undernearth the cross portion started to break apart over time.

Also, a question a little off topic from PBT v. ABS. Am I wrong to think that some of the brands like Filco and Ducky are more for show then for performance. There are a lot of other choices that are cheaper for example Cooler Masters offerings just curious what others think.

Ideally I would love to have something like this but the only ones currently available are Cherry MX Blacks on newegg.
20130521_162217_zps551d405c.jpg

PBT is higher quality in the fact that it feels smoother, and is a slightly better material. ABS has a little rougher feel to it, and is slightly worse than PBT. It's really more of a preference thing, as I actually like the feel of ABS a little bit better than PBT even though I was upset about it at first. Someone may have some proof that it's far better, but I myself haven't really seen too many differences besides what i said. (Price I guess)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

PBT is higher quality in the fact that it feels smoother, and is a slightly better material. ABS has a little rougher feel to it, and is slightly worse than PBT. It's really more of a preference thing, as I actually like the feel of ABS a little bit better than PBT even though I was upset about it at first. Someone may have some proof that it's far better, but I myself haven't really seen too many differences besides what i said. (Price I guess)

From what I heard PBT has a bit more of a more stiff feel then ABS. But that makes sense with ABS. I like ABS but it does make me wonder was the key that broke on me a biproduct of ABS or just a quality control deal.

From what I heard PBT has a bit more of a more stiff feel then ABS. But that makes sense with ABS. I like ABS but it does make me wonder was the key that broke on me a biproduct of ABS or just a quality control deal.

I think it's really just a quality control deal. I don't think it really matters too much to be completely honest. My Ducky Shine 3 came with PBT caps I believe. ( I think PBT is what they use for them.. 99.99% sure) I replaced those with a custom set of ABS ones, and I've had no issues with them what so ever.

If you want really strong caps try getting a place to make them out of FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) for you.. xD (Somewhere might actually do that) - That's what they make gliders out of.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

PBT will resist the oils/acid from your fingers better than ABS... PBT won't get shiny like ABS keys will.

PBT will resist the oils/acid from your fingers better than ABS... PBT won't get shiny like ABS keys will.

I like the idea of a keycap resisting oil/acid from your fingers although to be fair I tend to clean my keyboard quite frequently but still that would be something quite welcomed. 

PBT definitely feels better, although I'm kinda using both at the moment... for the rice!

post-2523-0-50045500-1390961485_thumb.jp

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

PBT definitely feels better, although I'm kinda using both at the moment... for the rice!

Trying not to drool.... :wub:

Yea that is quite sexy :) My problem though with my G710+ is there isn't replacement key caps for my gamer keys. On the G710+ there are 6 macro keys to the left of the standard 108 keys. 

I think it's really just a quality control deal. I don't think it really matters too much to be completely honest. My Ducky Shine 3 came with PBT caps I believe. ( I think PBT is what they use for them.. 99.99% sure) I replaced those with a custom set of ABS ones, and I've had no issues with them what so ever.

If you want really strong caps try getting a place to make them out of FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) for you.. xD (Somewhere might actually do that) - That's what they make gliders out of.

shine 3 definitely is abs.  i think their g2 pro series comes with thin pbt, a special run had thick pbt, and now their ducky premier line is all thick pbt

you actually got abs and pbt mixed up in your description.

cheap abs is always smooth, nice abs starts to get grippy textures because of the mould. pbt is always rough, but sometimes it's so fine that it feels velvety. if you prefer velvety rough or bumpy rough is up to you.

when you start buying expensive keysets, the general rule is: doubleshot abs for more colors, pbt for shiny resistance

shine 3 definitely is abs.  i think their g2 pro series comes with thin pbt, a special run had thick pbt, and now their ducky premier line is all thick pbt

you actually got abs and pbt mixed up in your description.

cheap abs is always smooth, nice abs starts to get grippy textures because of the mould. pbt is always rough, but sometimes it's so fine that it feels velvety. if you prefer velvety rough or bumpy rough is up to you.

when you start buying expensive keysets, the general rule is: doubleshot abs for more colors, pbt for shiny resistance

I may just be crazy I dunno.. All there replacement caps that they sell for them are PBT, and the ones I had on mine didn't really feel like any ABS caps Ive felt before. I'm probably just crazy though.

Ducky sells both ABS and PBT replacement sets.

If you want to learn about keycaps and various plastics and methods used, check Ripster's wiki page on reddit.  http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/index

It is really very interesting and tons of photos and experiments... 

And here is an interesting link to show that all PBT are not the same  http://www.mechkb.com/blog/mechkb-labs/genuine-deck-hassium-doubleshot/

I think my next keyboard might be a Deck with PBT doubleshot keys.

I may just be crazy I dunno.. All there replacement caps that they sell for them are PBT, and the ones I had on mine didn't really feel like any ABS caps Ive felt before. I'm probably just crazy though.

the only pbt caps that are backlit are deck's doubleshot pbt caps,

ducky abs caps are regarded as the best stock abs caps

i personally prefer quickfire tk caps(out of stock abs caps), but ducky's ones aren't bad at all for their class

You've got it the wrong way around.

PBT is naturally a rougher plastic and resists shine over long periods of use. PBT is dense but brittle. It WILL shatter to pieces if you were to take a hammer or anything similar and smash it.

ABS generally has a smooth surface (laser'ed backlit caps) but can also have a grainy surface depending on the texture of the mold (usually non backlit, doubleshot/dyesub keycaps). ABS will develop a shine within a year of use, sometimes within 6 months. ABS Plastic is more resilient and less dense.

Not sure if your keycap is ABS or PBT? Throw it in water. PBT will sink to the bottom while ABS will float.

Thick PBT is generally favoured amongst keyboard enthusiasts, but quality GMK Cherry Thick ABS keycaps also have their group of backers.