Random network issues please help

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 hours ago, Cherve said:

Okay, I ran a command line that I found that said it uses speedtest.net but through the terminal. I got the correct speeds 116mbps down and 6mbps up.

My speeds tanked before I manually updated to that latest version. It is a insider preview version but it was worth a try. I forgot to check what version I was at before updating. It could still be the reason for the issue though. Microsoft needs to test their updates more rigorously so major issues like this do not happen.

Sounds like a software issue then. Id do a reinstall of windows and that should fix your issue. Might be possible to check every little thing, but reinstall is probably easier.

Hey everyone, I seem to have run into an issue with my network but only with my computer. My pc is plugged directly into my Xfinity Arris modem using a Cat 6 ethernet cable. I have my Xbox One and TV also plugged into the modem but I have not noticed any issues with them network wise. First my PC specs:

intel core i7 2700k OC 4.4

Corsair H100i Cooler

Asus Sabertooth z77

Corsair (4x4GB)16 GB RAM 1600mhz?

XFX Radeon 295x2

Mushkin Chronos 120 GB SSD

WD 3 TB green HD

EVGA G2 1000w PSU

Windows 10 version: (after update) Version: 1903 Build: 18936.1000

A few weeks ago my network on my PC seemed to be bogged down even at start up. webpages wouldn't load, sign in verifications would time out. Browsing the steam store was impossible I get every different error page that exists. Usually if there is an issue with the network its due to comcasts shitty modem. I went to them and replaced it which didn't help. I am still not ruling it out though because it took me an hour to get it to cooperate with me and it was "new". Like I said before I have no issues with my xbox, PS4, or my smart tv, all are plugged in with ethernet cables while my ps4 is on wifi. I have a few devices on wifi but I have no issues with it at all.

Now I tried using all my different ethernet cables with my PC same issues. I decided to run a speedtest downloaded the speedtest.net app on the windows store. I found what seems to be the problem using this my download speed is 118mbps but my upload speed is an atrocious 0.02mbps. Running the speedtest on my xbox I get the same download speed but upload is between 4 and 5mbps still atrocious but that's normal for comcast. I found a wifi usb lying around and tried to use that and it does work slightly better with upload speed I get around 2 mbps but the download speed is only 50mbps and the modem is right next to it.

I tried reinstalling my network drivers, updating windows, I went to my moms house and tested it there same issues, windows troubleshooting says nothing, intels update tool says the ethernet port is working and theres no issues, device manager has no cautions, ran Malwarebytes for viruses and windows defender, used CCleaner to clean the registry and everything else. Seems I have done everything besides reinstall a clean windows or get a new motherboard which both of those I would like to avoid at the moment.

So I am seeking advice for this frustrating issue. Networking is not my thing and I hate diagnosing these problems. Thanks everyone

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using a linux live usb to see if its a hardware of software issue. THis seems to be a software issue from what I see.

I looked up what that is because I never heard of that. Just to clarify, I would be essentially booting into Linux through a usb stick and checking the network through there?

3 minutes ago, Cherve said:

I looked up what that is because I never heard of that. Just to clarify, I would be essentially booting into Linux through a usb stick and checking the network through there?

yep, put linux on a usb drive to tell if its a hardware or software issue.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using a linux live usb to see if its a hardware of software issue. THis seems to be a software issue from what I see.

While I totally agree with your advice (that's exactly what I would have suggested) I disagree with the conclusion. I would have said this is more than likely a problem with the NIC on the computer.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Cherve said:

Windows 10 version: (after update) Version: 1903 Build: 18936.1000

That could be the issue. I have an i5 3570K and I have had numerous issues with Windows 10. Ive had graphical issues even if I use updated drivers. Ive had issues where my built in NIC wont connect to the network after I wake the PC from sleep. Many times I have to put it back to sleep and wake it to get it to work. I figure that Windows 10 runs like shit on old hardware. Id check with a Linux live CD. If it works then you know its Windows. 

If the Live CD works, then it might be worth reinstalling Windows. I have seen that with the creators updates, you a lot of the time need to do a fresh install for it to work some what properly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep, put linux on a usb drive to tell if its a hardware or software issue.

Okay, I ran a command line that I found that said it uses speedtest.net but through the terminal. I got the correct speeds 116mbps down and 6mbps up.

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That could be the issue. I have an i5 3570K and I have had numerous issues with Windows 10. Ive had graphical issues even if I use updated drivers. Ive had issues where my built in NIC wont connect to the network after I wake the PC from sleep. Many times I have to put it back to sleep and wake it to get it to work. I figure that Windows 10 runs like shit on old hardware. Id check with a Linux live CD. If it works then you know its Windows. 

If the Live CD works, then it might be worth reinstalling Windows. I have seen that with the creators updates, you a lot of the time need to do a fresh install for it to work some what properly. 

My speeds tanked before I manually updated to that latest version. It is a insider preview version but it was worth a try. I forgot to check what version I was at before updating. It could still be the reason for the issue though. Microsoft needs to test their updates more rigorously so major issues like this do not happen.

3 hours ago, Cherve said:

Sounds like a software issue then. Id do a reinstall of windows and that should fix your issue. Might be possible to check every little thing, but reinstall is probably easier.

20 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it matter which way I reinstall it either through USB or the "fresh start" option? Also starting fresh start method it says all the apps that will be deleted and have to be reinstalled. Most of these are installed on a my 3 TB drive and not my SSD with windows. Can I ignore this warning mostly?

2 hours ago, Cherve said:

Does it matter which way I reinstall it either through USB or the "fresh start" option? Also starting fresh start method it says all the apps that will be deleted and have to be reinstalled. Most of these are installed on a my 3 TB drive and not my SSD with windows. Can I ignore this warning mostly?

Id personally use a windows usb, but should be the same.

Id unplug your other drives so it can't touch anything on it when you install.

THe apps on those drives won't right often work right as they lack the registry keys needed.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id personally use a windows usb, but should be the same.

Id unplug your other drives so it can't touch anything on it when you install.

THe apps on those drives won't right often work right as they lack the registry keys needed.

The windows reinstall has fixed the problem it made it a tad bit faster as well which is a bonus. I was lazy and used fresh start instead of creating the usb for windows. It actually kept me in the insider preview version I updated to during the issue which I was surprised. Seems to be working as intended so far. Thanks for taking the time to help.